By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft - 1981 to 2011 gaming division profits chart

i would like to see sega's chart of the years they had consoles.

Around the Network

Just amazed at the PS3 loses.

Yah looks accurate. Nintendo was more profitable with GameCube then Sony was with PS2 and Microsoft was with X-Box. I know they did very well during N64 as well. Nintendo operating at a 200-million loss this year sounds worse then it actually is. That is such a small loss it should barely even be noticed. Look at the losses Sony took the year they launched PS3 or Microsoft the years it lost for Xbox and later some of the years they lost with 360!

Nintendo should be just fine assuming they don't panic. If Nintendo's share holders panic and Nintendo executives lose their heads then this could spell doom for Nintendo. Nintendo needs to maintain their course and continue to invest in great hardware and games this one loss will not kill the company. Hell they could take 65 years of losses at 200 mill a year before they actually went belly up.

Sega fought to the bitter end and if Nintendo did so as well then they will be around for another 60+ years at least!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

I dont know if this is right. the point of the razor blade model is that you loose money on the unit and make more money on the software. i cant believe that the PS2 (which i believe had about 1 billion units of software sold) made less money than the Gamecube.

i can believe that this is only a hardware chart. and that software numbers arnt included. if Nintendo was this successful they wouldnt have changed their strategy to the casual market, so it dosent make sense in the sense that, why would Nintendo restructure their gaming buisness if it was already so much more successful than its competetor?

MS in the red? Sony not in the red? Nintendo well is Nintendo i guess?

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:

Yah looks accurate. Nintendo was more profitable with GameCube then Sony was with PS2 and Microsoft was with X-Box. I know they did very well during N64 as well. Nintendo operating at a 200-million loss this year sounds worse then it actually is. That is such a small loss it should barely even be noticed. Look at the losses Sony took the year they launched PS3 or Microsoft the years it lost for Xbox and later some of the years they lost with 360!

Nintendo should be just fine assuming they don't panic. If Nintendo's share holders panic and Nintendo executives lose their heads then this could spell doom for Nintendo. Nintendo needs to maintain their course and continue to invest in great hardware and games this one loss will not kill the company. Hell they could take 65 years of losses at 200 mill a year before they actually went belly up.

Sega fought to the bitter end and if Nintendo did so as well then they will be around for another 60+ years at least!

People always forget little device called GBA that dominated handheld space alone... Also these charts are so misleading nowadays because MS and Sony don't really have ''gaming divisions''. They are packed with other products also. It's impossible to tell how much PlayStaion products or Xbox contribute to those losses/profits.

how is Nintendo 900+ million in the black, when the report stating it's actually losing 924 million so far this year?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

This tells me Sony and MS are in no hurry to get new consoles out.

The generating loss for Nintendo this year will be worse than Sony's and Microsoft's basically because Nintendo is a much smaller company and isn't supported by anything else than gaming. Still every company has to go through these times, and it was necessary on Nintendo's part (especially the 3DS pricecut)

kingofwale said:
how is Nintendo 900+ million in the black, when the report stating it's actually losing 924 million so far this year?

FY 2011. 

924 million in the red if FY2012.