By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft - 1981 to 2011 gaming division profits chart

Boberman said:
problem with this is Sony and MS's division isn't just gaming, so its not a direct and fair comparison.

It is fair as its not a comparison between companies but just on gaming... only difference is its the only division Nintendo has.

Also, as a whole, it wasn't too long ago Nintendo did make more money than all of Sony combined.

Around the Network
maximus22 said:
Wow if true! I find it hard to believe that Ninty was never in the red during the 64 or Gamecube eras. But if so then kudos.

They always sold for a profit

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

padib said:
leatherhat said:
maximus22 said:
Wow if true! I find it hard to believe that Ninty was never in the red during the 64 or Gamecube eras. But if so then kudos.

They still need to cover R&D, there isn't just cost. Thankfully Pokemon sold in enough numbers to save the impending death Nintendo was facing during those days.

I'm sure the GC and 64 more than recouped the R&D costs

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

padib said:
leatherhat said:
padib said:
leatherhat said:
maximus22 said:

They still need to cover R&D, there isn't just cost. Thankfully Pokemon sold in enough numbers to save the impending death Nintendo was facing during those days.

I'm sure the GC and 64 more than recouped the R&D costs

Then add management overhead. You don't make profit over console sales, especially not on home consoles. You make it off software or handheld profits. I don't see GC and 64 being money-makers. And from what I learnt lately the GC was selling at a loss when it was released. Of course over the span of time a margin gets created but I doubt it being one to significantly recover R&D and overheads...

@Data: With 32.92 Mil (N64) and 21.75 Mil (GC) over the span of 10 years... that gives roughly 500K yearly spread through (poor metric but we'll work with it). Assuming say a 50$ margin at best, that's 25Mil yearly. Seems miniscule in front of numbers like 500Mil (at worst). Compare that to values like 14Mil yearly on a nearly annual basis -> http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/browse.php?name=pokemon (Orange square for total sales).

Assuming a low margin of 20$ per game, that's 280Mil yearly just on Pukemon.

huhhh?

nintendo looks beastly on that chart.

Around the Network

The table is skewed... The Sony figures are all 1 year earlier.

A quick grab of Sony's figures from here: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/Archive.html
and Nintendo from here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/annual/index.html

gives this little table for the two companies (figures are billions of Yen... I am not going to use exchange rates as they fluctuate, thus using a single exchange rate on them doesn't mean much... however the FY 2007 (ending March 31st 2007) is the year Sony lost ~$2billion from PS3 R&D/launch... which is the equivalent to the -232 in this table.... in the OP though the $2billion loss has been put into 2006 for some reason.

Sony Nintendo
2007 -232 226
2008 -124 487
2009 -58 555
2010* -83 356
2011* 35 171

* indicates that these figures are for Sony's "Networked Products and Services" (i'll call it NP&S) division, which includes playstation but also other stuff.... the 2007-9 figures I took from the 2009 report, because back then there was a "Game" division which was mostly just Playstation (also I think Sony did some PC games but I don't think they account for much)
For example in the 2011 report, Sony has a little chart showing that in the NP&S division, 'game' (which will likely be equivalent to the old game division) made up 53% of sales.... which shows that the Playstation brand is only about half of the division revenue. (in terms of profit though, Sony no longer gives a breakdown for the game section, which means we can't know whether a profitable NP&S is due to playstation or not)

the figure i find most suprising here is nintendo in 2000

i remember the n64 being dead on its feet and this was a year before the gba (2001)

basically they were in a similar position back then to what they are now. a dying console and in the middle of handheld transition

how the hell did they make $1,300,000,000+

pokemon gold/silver, zelda majoras mask but i don't know what else.

crissindahouse said:
i would like to see sega's chart of the years they had consoles.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Sega_Annual_Icome(Loss)_1993-2004.svg

thank you :)