By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Numbers That MS Needs To Pull To Tie The PS3 For 2011. And Why I Think It Is Now Impossible.

Will The 360 Be Able To Pull It Off?

The Kinect Will Rule The ... 220 27.92%

It Will Be Close, But The... 241 30.58%

No Way. The PS3 Will Be ... 270 34.26%

What Are You Talking Abou... 56 7.11%

Total:787
thismeintiel said:
legend92(3) said:
PS3 also has colours launching in EMEAA and Japan as well as FFXIII-2 launching with a limited edition bundle. Then to top it off the launch of uncharted 3. PS3 will keep a good lead this year.

Yea, it seems that everything MS may do to decrease the gap (price cut and MW3 bundles), Sony has something that is going to counter it.  I can see the boosts from Uncharted 3, and especially FFXIII-2 in Japan, being enough to almost neutralize any boost the 360 gets from a price cut to the 250 GB model.

so you've read my post and even used my words in Seeces thread lol! i don't even think a price cut would help but thats just me not being optimistic. 

MS won't make a global price cut but likely only where they need to. like in countries they don't sell well in. there will be no kinect price cut and if i'm wrong it won't boost sell of the 360. theres just no reason for it!

once again as you i and many others have said there is a counter for everything. even the special edition Batman console didn't help Boost sells enough. i heard there was one?

MW3 won't have that much more effect on 360 sells then PS3 sells even with the MW special edition or bundle or what ever it is, but MW is bigger on 360 and there is a counter for it. UC3 will boost hardware and the black friday bundles will help Sony keep there lead.

can someone tell me if theres one more wk in Oct. for sells? cause i have no idea how that works! Sony has the first wk in Nov. and thats agiven. MS may have the wk MW3 comes out but not by that much and EMEAA's and Japan will likely cover that.

Sony will have Dec. all to them selves with FFXIII-2 coming out that month. check my many many post in Seeces thread(about 5-10) to see the actual comparison. 

its going to be close rapping up this yr but its going to be interesting aswell. and as i've siad many times before. never under estimate the big 3.

i'd sure like to know what Seece thinks MS has up there coat tails, cuase his thread and quote to me answered nothing.

the sky rim special editoin console won't help either, and the MW special edition console won't do much.

Around the Network

WHO CARES?

How much did the PS3 beat the 360 overall last year? (WW)

I think the 360 can do it, if and only if the 360 has huge holiday sales incentives. The Radioshack leak was a good start, but I can't see that moving hundreds of thousands when Radio Shacks don't even carry that many 360s.

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:
How much did the PS3 beat the 360 overall last year? (WW)

I think the 360 can do it, if and only if the 360 has huge holiday sales incentives. The Radioshack leak was a good start, but I can't see that moving hundreds of thousands when Radio Shacks don't even carry that many 360s.

According to VGC, the PS3 was able to beat the 360 by ~785K.

The Radio Shack leak may help a little, BUT they are also offering the 160GB PS3 Holiday Bundle (with a $20 gift card) for the same $199.  And like you said, they won't be carrying many consoles units to begin with.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
thismeintiel said:
legend92(3) said:
PS3 also has colours launching in EMEAA and Japan as well as FFXIII-2 launching with a limited edition bundle. Then to top it off the launch of uncharted 3. PS3 will keep a good lead this year.

Yea, it seems that everything MS may do to decrease the gap (price cut and MW3 bundles), Sony has something that is going to counter it.  I can see the boosts from Uncharted 3, and especially FFXIII-2 in Japan, being enough to almost neutralize any boost the 360 gets from a price cut to the 250 GB model.

so you've read my post and even used my words in Seeces thread lol! i don't even think a price cut would help but thats just me not being optimistic. 

MS won't make a global price cut but likely only where they need to. like in countries they don't sell well in. there will be no kinect price cut and if i'm wrong it won't boost sell of the 360. theres just no reason for it!

once again as you i and many others have said there is a counter for everything. even the special edition Batman console didn't help Boost sells enough. i heard there was one?

MW3 won't have that much more effect on 360 sells then PS3 sells even with the MW special edition or bundle or what ever it is, but MW is bigger on 360 and there is a counter for it. UC3 will boost hardware and the black friday bundles will help Sony keep there lead.

can someone tell me if theres one more wk in Oct. for sells? cause i have no idea how that works! Sony has the first wk in Nov. and thats agiven. MS may have the wk MW3 comes out but not by that much and EMEAA's and Japan will likely cover that.

Sony will have Dec. all to them selves with FFXIII-2 coming out that month. check my many many post in Seeces thread(about 5-10) to see the actual comparison. 

its going to be close rapping up this yr but its going to be interesting aswell. and as i've siad many times before. never under estimate the big 3.

i'd sure like to know what Seece thinks MS has up there coat tails, cuase his thread and quote to me answered nothing.

the sky rim special editoin console won't help either, and the MW special edition console won't do much.

I think at this point a price cut is the only thing that is going to propel them to having a similar holiday season to last year.  But, it can't just be the expected $50 cut to the 250 GB model, making it $249.  It would have to be a $50 cut to both models ($149 4GB/$249 250GB) or they need to drop the 4GB and just sell the 250GB for $199.  Plus, they would need to drop the Kinect to at least $75.  I don't see them doing either at this point.  And even if they did, this late in the game, I'm not sure it would propel them to the ~1.4 million they need to beat the PS3.

And you are right, bundles will help, but it isn't going to help as much as they need them to.  Though, to be fair to the Batman: AC bundle, it's not exactly Halo or GeOW and it was just a normal console with the game.  For it to boost the 360 by a significant amount, it would have had to been a custom designed console.

And there is one more week in Oct to go for sales.  This week we have reported the numbers for last week, or the week ending Oct 22nd.  So next week, we'll have the numbers reported for the last week of Oct (the week we are in now), the week ending Oct. 29th.  So we have 2 more weeks of sales numbers without MW3.  So that's still 2 weeks PS3 will be on top.  Of course, there's nothing saying the PS3 won't be on top for a few weeks following MW3's launch.

For Seece, I believe he's thinking Kinect is going to have as much of an affect as it did last year, as well as hoping for a 360 price cut.  And while I don't think Kinect will the same affect as last year, there is always the chance it could be big in Americas.  However, there's no way it's going to have that much of an affect outside of America.  Maybe in the UK, but not the whole of EMEAA and definitely not in Japan.  I'm more interested in what Dodece "knows", as he thinks not only will the 360 beat the PS3, it will beat it by 1 million.  There's just no way that's happening, unless the PS3 is found to cause cancer and barely anyone buys it anymore.

Oh and @ NobleTeam360

Yea, you're right.  Why should people on a sales site care about sales?  That's just CRAZY. 

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
thismeintiel said:
legend92(3) said:

I think at this point a price cut is the only thing that is going to propel them to having a similar holiday season to last year.  But, it can't just be the expected $50 cut to the 250 GB model, making it $249.  It would have to be a $50 cut to both models ($149 4GB/$249 250GB) or they need to drop the 4GB and just sell the 250GB for $199.  Plus, they would need to drop the Kinect to at least $75.  I don't see them doing either at this point.  And even if they did, this late in the game, I'm not sure it would propel them to the ~1.4 million they need to beat the PS3. yea i don't see either happening either. they said they wouldn't drop price but that could be talk and there waiting for the right time to do it like say black friday. but i dan't see a reason for them to do it.

they can make profit this yr and force Sony to drop price again in 2012 by reduceing there price to $199.

And you are right, bundles will help, but it isn't going to help as much as they need them to.  Though, to be fair to the Batman: AC bundle, it's not exactly Halo or GeOW and it was just a normal console with the game.  For it to boost the 360 by a significant amount, it would have had to been a custom designed console.  dito

And there is one more week in Oct to go for sales.  This week we have reported the numbers for last week, or the week ending Oct 22nd.  So next week, we'll have the numbers reported for the last week of Oct (the week we are in now), the week ending Oct. 29th.  So we have 2 more weeks of sales numbers without MW3.  So that's still 2 weeks PS3 will be on top.  Of course, there's nothing saying the PS3 won't be on top for a few weeks following MW3's launch.

dito. i see PS3 leading the wk UC3 comes out, and MS may lead the wk the wk MW3 comes out but not by much

i see Sony having 1wk in Nov. and 360 having 2wks but the rest will be mostly even and black friday will be about even if not Sonys cause they have the more appealing bundle. other then that Dec. goes to Sony mostly cause the biggest game releasing that month is FFXIII-2. in Japan, and EMEAA the PS3 will have the edge and in Americas PS3 will have a samller lead over the 360 but a lead it will be.

then Vita should finish out the month with FFtype-o likley being a launch title since its finished development.

For Seece, I believe he's thinking Kinect is going to have as much of an affect as it did last year, as well as hoping for a 360 price cut.  And while I don't think Kinect will the same affect as last year, there is always the chance it could be big in Americas.  However, there's no way it's going to have that much of an affect outside of America.  Maybe in the UK, but not the whole of EMEAA and definitely not in Japan.  I'm more interested in what Dodece "knows", as he thinks not only will the 360 beat the PS3, it will beat it by 1 million.  There's just no way that's happening, unless the PS3 is found to cause cancer and barely anyone buys it anymore.

lol. agreed. isn't tht the guy that said if MS doesn't win he'll b permaband? i'd like to know what this guy knows aswell, but i think he's just blowing smoke. MS could wait tille black friday to drop price on kinect but i just don't see it.

and as for Seece he's hoping for something that may help but won't likely happen.

Oh and @ NobleTeam360

Yea, you're right.  Why should people on a sales site care about sales?  That's just CRAZY. 

I'm believing MS isn't going to do the price drop. It's just getting to late to do it. September is the usual time.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

NobleTeam360 said:
WHO CARES?

I do for one, as do most people who come to a Sales Data site, I would imagine.

Microsoft says a lot of things, you shouldn't take their prediction seriously.

If they do end up #1 WW this year then they can toot their own horn, like they always do. If they are wrong, what they said won't get any more attention. They said this during an E3 conference, they wanted to appear confident.

brendude13 said:

Microsoft says a lot of things, you shouldn't take their prediction seriously.

If they do end up #1 WW this year then they can toot their own horn, like they always do. If they are wrong, what they said won't get any more attention. They said this during an E3 conference, they wanted to appear confident.

They've said it many more times than just once at E3.  They have mentioned it each of their press releases since at least June's NPD.  Though, I do agree with you that it won't matter too much in gaming press if they don't, since it will be looked at as just PR.  Quite honestly I see it as just that, too, though some supporters believe MS has some excellent strategy just ready to enact.  Either way, I still think it will be interesting to follow this.