By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Numbers That MS Needs To Pull To Tie The PS3 For 2011. And Why I Think It Is Now Impossible.

Will The 360 Be Able To Pull It Off?

The Kinect Will Rule The ... 220 27.92%

It Will Be Close, But The... 241 30.58%

No Way. The PS3 Will Be ... 270 34.26%

What Are You Talking Abou... 56 7.11%

Total:787
kowenicki said:
Kees said:
Nintendo hasn't only tried to buy some market share with the 3DS.
Or do you think that the Wii-U is coming for free? No developmentcosts whatsoever?

ffs.  go back and look where I said the losses come from... 

I included exchange rate issues and WiiU development. 

Stop shifting the argument.  I merely said that Nintendo are burning money on the 3DS to buy market share, if you dont want to see that then fine... but it happens to be true.

kowen, say it louder and bolder so they stop denying it:  THE YEN, PEOPLE, THE YEN!!!

Around the Network

Decided to start following the numbers MS needs til the end of Dec, or at least until I get bored with updating the OP.

I'll only be using VGC's numbers, so I'll update the OP as soon as Japan's numbers are posted each week.

RolStoppable said:
The Xbox 360 will finish 2011 as the #1 HD home console on the market, excluding PS3.

Oh you.

Adjustments, adjustments. Anyway, I have updated the OP with the new numbers from this week. I also think I will discontinue tracking around mid-Dec, as this will be when we know for certain what the outcome will be, regardless of the results of one or two more sales weeks.

Edit: Just so some won't have to look back at the OP - As of week ending Oct 29th - 8,778,992(PS3) - 7,242,745(360) = 1,536,247 or ~192K over the PS3 for the next 8 weeks

I'm much more excited to see how Kinect is going to pull off the 20 million sales it was guaranteed by the end of the year (or, heck; even lifetime).

Around the Network

Wait....your wrong.

All MS said was 15 million for their fiscal year ending in June.
Sony said 15 million for their fiscal year ending in March.

This is where the confusion is at. MS may start to outsell PS3, but I don't think difference will be big in either direction. Regardless MS never said it would outsell PS3 for 2011.

MS could break 15 million for their fiscal year ending in June, if they make a price cut early next year, or make hard drive upgrades which effectively work as a price cut.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Its got as much chance of outselling ps3 as wii has of outselling 360, slim to none.

Michael-5 said:
Wait....your wrong.

This is where the confusion is at. MS may start to outsell PS3, but I don't think difference will be big in either direction. Regardless MS never said it would outsell PS3 for 2011.

MS could break 15 million for their fiscal year ending in June, if they make a price cut early next year, or make hard drive upgrades which effectively work as a price cut.

Could you provide a link?  It is my understanding, and it seemed to be Seece's as well, that they meant the end of this year and not fiscal year.  Of course, I could be wrong.

Edit:  Though, the 360 had a huge holiday last year with Kinect, the Slim, and Halo:Reach, yet the PS3 still outsold it by ~72K for the fiscal year.  So, given this holiday probably isn't going to be as huge for the 360, and the PS3 slightly larger than last holiday, I doubt the 360 still has a chance at beating it even if using fiscal years.

thismeintiel said:
Michael-5 said:
Wait....your wrong.

Could you provide a link?  It is my understanding, and it seemed to be Seece's as well, that they meant the end of this year and not fiscal year.  Of course, I could be wrong.

Too lazy to look now. Look at whatever links you have that inspired this thread. I'm pretty sure both manufacturers said fiscal year, and for MS that's possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MS sell over 14 million units in its last fiscal year?

Don't know what MS has planned to make a strong start for 2012, but it's possible, and your taking the information in incorrectly.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
thismeintiel said:
Michael-5 said:
Wait....your wrong.

Too lazy to look now. Look at whatever links you have that inspired this thread. I'm pretty sure both manufacturers said fiscal year, and for MS that's possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MS sell over 14 million units in its last fiscal year?

Don't know what MS has planned to make a strong start for 2012, but it's possible, and your taking the information in incorrectly.

Actually, you are wrong.

"With the holiday season and major launches just around the corner, the second half of 2011 promises to make Xbox 360 history. The size of the Kinect games portfolio will triple by the end of the year and Xbox will bring new partnerships like UFC and Disney to the platform as well as blockbuster games, movies, music and TV together in one place. We expect Xbox 360 to maintain its lead and to be number one worldwide by the end of the year, selling more hardware units than PlayStation and Wii."  - Source

They speak about the 2nd half of 2011 in June.  Then go on to say by the end of the year, with no mention of the word fiscal.

In July, they again speak of doing great throughout the year ending 2011, not fiscal year.

August, pretty much the same thing.  MS speaks of being this year's best selling console, with no mention of the fiscal year.

So to me, it seems pretty clear they are speaking of the year 2011 and not their fiscal year 2011.  Though, if they do try to come out and change the goal to further down the road, as I said in my edit above, I still don't see them pulling it off.