By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Numbers That MS Needs To Pull To Tie The PS3 For 2011. And Why I Think It Is Now Impossible.

Will The 360 Be Able To Pull It Off?

The Kinect Will Rule The ... 220 27.92%

It Will Be Close, But The... 241 30.58%

No Way. The PS3 Will Be ... 270 34.26%

What Are You Talking Abou... 56 7.11%

Total:787

Yep it is pretty much impossible for them to even come close to tying the PS3 at this point. I don't understand why they kept saying they will be #1 if they have nothing to back it up with.

Around the Network

A price cut to $99 wouldn't even do it IMO. The discussion is moot because Microsoft don't and won't use VGchartz's potentially innaccurate numbers, they'll use shipped numbers or whatever makes them look better.

The_God_of_War said:
A price cut to $99 wouldn't even do it IMO. The discussion is moot because Microsoft don't and won't use VGchartz's potentially innaccurate numbers, they'll use shipped numbers or whatever makes them look better.

While I'm sure they'll be using the pro tracking firms, to be fair VGC does adjust its numbers when NPD and shipment data are released to become more accurate.  So, in the end, VGC will have pretty accurate numbers for most regions sometime early-mid Jan.  They also stated sales, not shipped numbers.

Your first sentence really got me thinking.  I think a cut of the 250GB model to $99, coupled with a Kinect price of $50, probably would do it.  Of course, that would cut greatly into MS's profits and would be nuts, so MS won't do that.

thismeintiel said:
The_God_of_War said:

While I'm sure they'll be using the pro tracking firms, to be fair VGC does adjust its numbers when NPD and shipment data are released to become more accurate.  So, in the end, VGC will have pretty accurate numbers for most regions sometime early-mid Jan.  They also stated sales, not shipped numbers.

Your first sentence really got me thinking.  I think a cut of the 250GB model to $99, coupled with a Kinect price of $50, probably would do it.  Of course, that would cut greatly into MS's profits and would be nuts, so MS won't do that.

I can see them backtracking that remark if they do outship Sony for '11 because outselling isn't gonna happen.

Either way I agree with just about everything in your OP.

Not without a price cut. An early November price cut could do it, but that's about it.

For the record, I've been saying this ever since MS first made the statement about being number one worldwide this year.

The ONLY crazy thing that could happen is if MS got 50% or more of the sales that typically went to the Wii during the holiday season. I think for us to predict that at this point is blind optimism, but maybe MS has had access to retail ordering information for the 4th quarter that has given them that swagger. But with the info I have access to, I just don't see it.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Not happening. I'd like it too, but it aint. It seems that MS are happy to ride a profit wave and watch as Ninty and Sony burn money.

Burn money?  This will be Sony's most profitable year since the PS2's heyday.  And Nintendo's worst year is a good one for anyone else methinks.

kowenicki said:
maximus22 said:
kowenicki said:
Not happening. I'd like it too, but it aint. It seems that MS are happy to ride a profit wave and watch as Ninty and Sony burn money.

Burn money?  1. This will be Sony's most profitable year since the PS2's heyday.  And 2. Nintendo's worst year is a good one for anyone else methinks.

1.  It will...? how do you know?  Get ready for some particularly unpleasant looking financials next week.

2.  I dont think losing hundreds of millions of dollars would be seen as good by anyone.

Do you even know the current state of these companies? 

Well I do know that launching a new console costs hundreds of millions of dollars and Nintendo is launching one this year and one next year and Nintendo may still turn a profit this year if its Holiday track record holds true.  So to launch a console and break even for the year would probably sound very good to both Sony and Microsoft.

Sony?  You're right I misspoke.  They won't be as profitable as last year, mostly thanks to Vita and the Hack.   However, I'm betting this will be the PS3's best holiday yet.

But burn money?  I don't see either company ending up in the red for the year.  Alas, I'm only guessing.

MS are happy to ride a profit wave?
MS aren't happy! They lost almost 7 billion USD in 12 years.
Nice to know that they have more money then Sony and Nintendo, but if a company has a bad spot that costs a lot of money sooner or later heads will be rolling.

Nintendo has 1 bad year and they are burning money? You must be joking ... the Wii-U is coming and the 3DS is just getting warmed up.
Sony is again earning money and still positive, the PS4 will be a very strong upgrade of the PS3 and they will earn money with it (and the Vita) like Nintendo will with the Wii-U and 3DS.

Too bad you can only see positive things for MS all the time, but never see them for the other companies just because you're a "fan".
I heard, saw and wrote it often and I will do it again: Stop fighting and start gaming!

The_God_of_War said:

Lol dude a $99 360 would win so easy it wouldn't be funny. And MS said they were talking about sell -through numbers not shipping numbers.

Nintendo hasn't only tried to buy some market share with the 3DS.
Or do you think that the Wii-U is coming for free? No developmentcosts whatsoever?