By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Numbers That MS Needs To Pull To Tie The PS3 For 2011. And Why I Think It Is Now Impossible.

Will The 360 Be Able To Pull It Off?

The Kinect Will Rule The ... 220 27.92%

It Will Be Close, But The... 241 30.58%

No Way. The PS3 Will Be ... 270 34.26%

What Are You Talking Abou... 56 7.11%

Total:787
ils411 said:
Michael-5 said:
thismeintiel said:

Actually, you are wrong.

"With the holiday season and major launches just around the corner, the second half of 2011 promises to make Xbox 360 history. The size of the Kinect games portfolio will triple by the end of the year and Xbox will bring new partnerships like UFC and Disney to the platform as well as blockbuster games, movies, music and TV together in one place. We expect Xbox 360 to maintain its lead and to be number one worldwide by the end of the year, selling more hardware units than PlayStation and Wii."  - Source

They speak about the 2nd half of 2011 in June.  Then go on to say by the end of the year, with no mention of the word fiscal.

In July, they again speak of doing great throughout the year ending 2011, not fiscal year.

August, pretty much the same thing.  MS speaks of being this year's best selling console, with no mention of the fiscal year.

So to me, it seems pretty clear they are speaking of the year 2011 and not their fiscal year 2011.  Though, if they do try to come out and change the goal to further down the road, as I said in my edit above, I still don't see them pulling it off.

Well that I think is impossible now, unless they make a ridiculous price cut post MW3.

I swear I read fiscal year before, I should keep sources.

so, someone caught you sprouting out lies trying to put MS up in a pedastel again I see. Good to see your still trying to weasle your way out of things after being caugt with your lies.

I have to agree with Michael-5, that was uncalled for.  Sure he shouldn't have started the post with "you're wrong" without being 100% sure first, but still.  He obviously misread what MS had said about 2011, so there is no reason to label him a liar.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
I think you're right, but I don't think it matters to Microsoft. Sure Don mattick looks a bit foolish in saying Xbox will be number one worldwide, but essentially they have hung in the race in their 5th year on the market without a real price cut in 2 years. Not to mention the profits their Xbox division is pulling in the same time while preparing next Gen hardware.

But I agree...ps3 will take 2011.

oh come one disolitude

we all know it doesn't matter to them.why would they?,they have big profits

stop defending them

this thing where you giver one side credit but still say something for the other to put is as a defense to show urself as neutral is bad

its good that you atleast give both sides the chance,its just that once in the while just speak the truth that SONY really did a good job or just speak or mind about defending MS's comments

@OP

SONY done really well,looking forward to next year battle

thismeintiel said:
ils411 said:
Michael-5 said:
thismeintiel said:

Actually, you are wrong.

"With the holiday season and major launches just around the corner, the second half of 2011 promises to make Xbox 360 history. The size of the Kinect games portfolio will triple by the end of the year and Xbox will bring new partnerships like UFC and Disney to the platform as well as blockbuster games, movies, music and TV together in one place. We expect Xbox 360 to maintain its lead and to be number one worldwide by the end of the year, selling more hardware units than PlayStation and Wii."  - Source

They speak about the 2nd half of 2011 in June.  Then go on to say by the end of the year, with no mention of the word fiscal.

In July, they again speak of doing great throughout the year ending 2011, not fiscal year.

August, pretty much the same thing.  MS speaks of being this year's best selling console, with no mention of the fiscal year.

So to me, it seems pretty clear they are speaking of the year 2011 and not their fiscal year 2011.  Though, if they do try to come out and change the goal to further down the road, as I said in my edit above, I still don't see them pulling it off.

Well that I think is impossible now, unless they make a ridiculous price cut post MW3.

I swear I read fiscal year before, I should keep sources.

so, someone caught you sprouting out lies trying to put MS up in a pedastel again I see. Good to see your still trying to weasle your way out of things after being caugt with your lies.

I have to agree with Michael-5, that was uncalled for.  Sure he shouldn't have started the post with "you're wrong" without being 100% sure first, but still.  He obviously misread what MS had said about 2011, so there is no reason to label him a liar.

Yea, and what i mis-interpreted it for doesn't make MS look any better, I am expecting poorer sales then MS.

People just hate...read my sig, been like that since day 1.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

snakenobi said:
disolitude said:
I think you're right, but I don't think it matters to Microsoft. Sure Don mattick looks a bit foolish in saying Xbox will be number one worldwide, but essentially they have hung in the race in their 5th year on the market without a real price cut in 2 years. Not to mention the profits their Xbox division is pulling in the same time while preparing next Gen hardware.

oh come one disolitude

stop defending them

this thing where you giver one side credit but still say something for the other to put is as a defense to show urself as neutral is bad

its good that you atleast give both sides the chance,its just that once in the while just speak the truth that SONY really did a good job or just speak or mind about defending MS's comments

@OP

Hope you have fun next year following the "battle" between sales. I frankly couldn't care any less.

Microsoft can go out of the console business tomorrow as can Sony and I won't flinch... Nintendo I might shed a tear or two for though.

disolitude said:
snakenobi said:
disolitude said:

oh come one disolitude

stop defending them

@OP

Hope you have fun next year following the "battle" between sales. I frankly couldn't care any less.

Microsoft can go out of the console business tomorrow as can Sony and I won't flinch... Nintendo I might shed a tear or two for though.

yeah thats what most people on this forum do discuss sales battle

Around the Network

Thanks to MW3 and Skyrim (somewhat), the 360 was able to clase the overall gap by ~115K. However, given it wasn't the 230K needed from last week's estimation and there is now 1 less week, the amount the 360 has to outsell the PS3 by each week has gone up.

As of week ending Nov 12th - 9,519,074(PS3) - 8,025,387(360) = 1,493,687 or ~249K over the PS3 for the next 6 weeks.

next 6 weeks are gonna be interesting :D

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
next 6 weeks are gonna be interesting :D

Very.  I can see 360 pulling off those kinds of numbers maybe Black Friday and a couple during Dec, but not all of the next 6 weeks.  But, it will be a fun ride regardless of what happens.

Don't have the monthly or yearly WW charts, yet, so I just added this weeks global totals to last week's YTD numbers. I'm hoping those charts come back, as it's a little easier with them, plus they included adjustments to previous weeks. Anyway...

As of week ending Nov 19th - 9,878,175(PS3) - 8,441,031(360) = 1,437,144 or ~287K over the PS3 for the next 5 weeks.

The 360 was able to close the yearly gap by ~57K. However, the 360 needed to start selling ~249K over the PS3 to tie with it by the end of the year, so now it must start selling ~287K over the PS3 for the next 5 weeks.

In the end, MS chose profit over their bold statement to sell more then PS3 in 2011.

But hey, they are making a nice profit with the same prices since 2008 (!) where as Sony is bleeding red ink.

All signs point to price drops in 2012 guaranteed, 2012 will be the year the 360 widens the gap.....and profits doing so.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.