By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I figured it out. The hardcore love toys and stories, casuals love games.

Pyro as Bill said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Movies are clearly toys because you can watch them by yourself.

Books are clearly toys because you read them by yourself.

Cars are clearly toys because you drive them by yourself.

This topic is stupid and borderline trolling.

We're not talking about 19th century entertainment.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Around the Network

The prof00 did this this same thread a long time ago and it was so much better.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
The prof00 did this this same thread a long time ago and it was so much better.

Not true.

1. He made 3 threads in the space of 2 weeks about the same thing. The Wii being a toy. As I have conclusively proven, the console isn't the toy, the software is the toy.

2. He used an example of Miyamoto referring to a videogame as a toy. I used Will Wright. Both make great software toys however Miyamoto was talking about Wii Music. Will Wright was talking about Sim City. Miyamoto also said that because Wii Music is a toy then that makes it more interesting than a videogame. Clearly he was drunk and as such we can't take anything he said seriously.

3.  I don't see any sexual undertones that imply that metadarlings are deviants and perverts compared with normal people who play the game instead of needing a story, roleplay or a toy/doll to satisfy themselves.

Mine wins.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pretty sure Pyro as Bill is joking, considering his complete lack of evidence for his claims and just the absurdity of his claims

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

richardhutnik said:

*Snip*

Interesting enough, but to me they look more as a view of genres than strict definitions.

I'd propose something like this:

Toys: Offers the possibility to create your own ruleset, and change those rules at will during any point of play.

Games: Lets you play according to a strict set of rules, offering a varition of possibilities within those rules.

Puzzles: Lets you play according to a strict set of rules, but only offering one (or very limited) path(s) towards a solution.

Law: Enforces a set of rules upon you.

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
RolStoppable said:
The hardcore don't like to lose, that's why. That's also why they love achievements so much, because it makes them feel like they have accomplished something great for beating the first level.

They are like a little child playing with their toys and making up their own rules, so that they can always be the hero and win. And just like a child, they get angry when you point out that they only win, because they set up the rules in a way to make themselves winners no matter what happens.

The entitlement to finish video games didn't exist back in the day. Nowadays it's omnipresent.

Speak for yourself. I'll be damned if one of the biggest points of my VG "career" wasn't beating Super Ghouls and Goblins on the professional difficulty back in the SNES days, without any of the crappy Save States modern emulators have. I consider it a bigger achievement than every I ever had on this generation and the last two combined.

I think you missed his point.  What Rol is saying, is that back in the old days there was no guarantee that you were going to be good enough to get to the end of the game.  Or even good enough to see most of the game.  With the current generation, most games are easy enough that just about anyone can finish them.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
lestatdark said:
RolStoppable said:
The hardcore don't like to lose, that's why. That's also why they love achievements so much, because it makes them feel like they have accomplished something great for beating the first level.

They are like a little child playing with their toys and making up their own rules, so that they can always be the hero and win. And just like a child, they get angry when you point out that they only win, because they set up the rules in a way to make themselves winners no matter what happens.

The entitlement to finish video games didn't exist back in the day. Nowadays it's omnipresent.

Speak for yourself. I'll be damned if one of the biggest points of my VG "career" wasn't beating Super Ghouls and Goblins on the professional difficulty back in the SNES days, without any of the crappy Save States modern emulators have. I consider it a bigger achievement than every I ever had on this generation and the last two combined.

I think you missed his point.  What Rol is saying, is that back in the old days there was no guarantee that you were going to be good enough to get to the end of the game.  Or even good enough to see most of the game.  With the current generation, most games are easy enough that just about anyone can finish them.

I understood that, but my comment was also in line with the rest of his comment. Back in those days, finishing a game such as Ninja Gaiden, Crystalis, the original Zelda, Ghouls and Goblins, Contra, Battletoads, etc, was itself an achievement, even if it was only for personal gratification. Of course, not a lot of people can say that they finished X, Y or Z game from that era, but those that do felt a sense of achievement higher than anything this past gens have ever given. 

Probably the sense of entitlement to finish a game wasn't present on most gamers before, but to some, finishing a game was all that mattered, no matter the difficulty, no matter how long it would take. At least that was true for me and still is nowadays, no matter how easy and dumb-proof the majority of gaming has become.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"