By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I figured it out. The hardcore love toys and stories, casuals love games.

i don't get it. look at games like starcraft, reviewers don't like those games because they only like singleplayer? i bet most like it because of the multiplayer. hardcore gamers only like singleplayer?

no, they only play other games in mutiplayer, or let's say more games. they play games like mario kart and they play games like counterstrike or starcraft online. casuals only play mariokart in multiplayer.

casuals don't play a lot of singlepayer games with big stories that's right but multiplayer is for all types of gamers.

Around the Network

Can anyone be so illogical anymore?

A game is a game. It has a set of rules. Toys don't have a set of rules. Since videogames do have a set of rules they are games. Toys are objects that can't have a set of rules.

Your controller is a toy and the software is a game.

Also, all the videogames we play have something called an AI in them. Artificial intelligence, which acts like a digital human brain so really even if we go according to your absurd logic single-player games are games as well.

mantlepiecek said:

A game is a game. It has a set of rules. Toys don't have a set of rules. Since videogames do have a set of rules they are games. Toys are objects that can't have a set of rules.

Also, all the videogames we play have something called an AI in them. Artificial intelligence, which acts like a digital human brain so really even if we go according to your absurd logic single-player games are games as well.

Also, they tend to have a objective/misson a player must reach/accomplish. Toys don't have that

Therefore, some "software" made for game consoles can be considered near toys...Like the infamous Wii Music, it had no objectives to accomplish and you would just grade yourself on your own performance in the end XD - - - Probably why it wasn't much fun

miz1q2w3e said:
mantlepiecek said:

Also, they tend to have a objective/misson a player must reach/accomplish. Toys don't have that

Therefore, some "software" made for game consoles can be considered near toys...Like the infamous Wii Music, it had no objectives to accomplish and you would just grade yourself on your own performance in the end XD - - - Probably why it wasn't much fun

Never played wii music

But I agree with the bolded.

mantlepiecek said:

Never played wii music

Imagine a magical musical instrument that played the correct notes to your song everytime you shook it. The end.

That's Wii music in a nutshell :p

It's even simpler than a toy, at least with a toy instrument you actually had to play the right notes to make a song >_<

Around the Network

I believe it is best to not call interactive fiction, which is pretty much what story driven single player experiences are, "toys".  

Pyro as Bill said:

You're definition of casuals is poor. Casuals don't see the value in toys that the hardcores do. Casuals prefer to play a game rather than play with a digital toy.

"You're definition."

Are we supposed to take you seriously?

Even if we ignore that OPs list of games include several with multiplayer aspects, including some whose popularity arise from their multiplayer modes, we also have to excuse other fallacies. Firstly  a tradition of several thousand years in designing single player games and secondly that single player games involve playing against a set of rules, while toys don't involve any ruleset at all.

I'm sure he's spouted more silliness than that, but it's one in the morning and I can't be bothered looking for more.

toy/toi/ 

Noun:
  • An object for a child to play with, typically a model or miniature replica of something.
  • An object, esp. a gadget or machine, regarded as providing amusement for an adult: "in 1914 the car was still a rich man's toy".
  • game/gām/ 

Noun:
    A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

Adjective:
  • Eager and willing to do something new or challenging: "they were game for anything".
  • (of a person's leg) Permanently injured; lame.
  •  

VideoGAMES are a form of play

ctalkeb said:
    Pyro as Bill said:

You're definition of casuals is poor. Casuals don't see the value in toys that the hardcores do. Casuals prefer to play a game rather than play with a digital toy.

"You're definition."

Are we supposed to take you seriously?

Even if we ignore that OPs list of games include several with multiplayer aspects, including some whose popularity arise from their multiplayer modes, we also have to excuse other fallacies. Firstly  a tradition of several thousand years in designing single player games and secondly that single player games involve playing against a set of rules, while toys doesn't involve any ruleset at all.

I'm sure he's spouted more silliness than that, but it's one in the morning and I can't be bothered looking for more.

LOL at the bolded part. Wouldnt casuals still need the damn hardware to access the game?? Unless you can play these "casual" games without the hardware to run it, PC or otherwise. This thread is one of the most silliest, ignorant things ive read in a while,  but damned if it aint entertaining

miz1q2w3e said:

I don't think having an objective is really necessary to be a game, unless "keeping the game going" or "not losing" are possible objectives.

OT: OP served some of the worst drivel I've heard on the subject, but has still managed to create an 11-page thread. We can at least get ours back by discussing the subject properly. :)