By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I figured it out. The hardcore love toys and stories, casuals love games.

This is hilarious.

Around the Network
miz1q2w3e said:
^^It just feels like you're talking random now - - - I don't even know how to respond to that

Oh well, I tried

Is Sim City a toy or a game?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Another thread arguing over one silly person's interpretations of words, very important stuff. YES.

Pyro as Bill said:
miz1q2w3e said:
^^It just feels like you're talking random now - - - I don't even know how to respond to that

Oh well, I tried

I think it's a game where the objective is to build and design a city, maintain it, and ensure its survival, along the way facing natural disasters as well as monsters...etc (aka enemies)

I think there's one pretty big thing you're missing here and that even though a game may appear to be just single player, the player actually faces the in-game AI as well as the challenge of the game's level design,puzzles...etc

What do you think it is?

miz1q2w3e said:
Pyro as Bill said:
miz1q2w3e said:

Oh well, I tried

I think it's a game where the objective is to build and design a city, maintain it, and ensure its survival, along the way facing natural disasters as well as monsters...etc (aka enemies)

I think there's one pretty big thing you're missing here and that even though a game may appear to be just single player, the player actually faces the in-game AI as well as the challenge of the game's level design,puzzles...etc

What do you think it is?

Doesn't matter what I think.

Will Wright says it's a toy.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
miz1q2w3e said:

Oh well, I tried

Sim City is a simulation of creating a city.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pyro as Bill said:
miz1q2w3e said:

Oh well, I tried

Just as a Batman doll, a car, some decorated cardboard and a little imagination is a simulation of the Batman Universe.

Adults have little imagination so they need toy makers to recreate a digital Gotham City with a digital Batman doll and call it a game. 

Pyro as Bill said:
miz1q2w3e said:

What do you think it is?

A quote on the matter: "SimCity inspired a new genre of video games. "Software toys" that were open-ended with no set objective were developed trying to duplicate SimCity's success" - - - - But I say it does have an objective and you can fail at it.

Wikipedia says: "SimCity is a critically acclaimed city-building simulation video game", guess which definition I trust more... So it doesn't really matter what the creator of the game says. He didn't create the english language, nor does he appear to be any good at comprehending it.

I think he just wanted to create some buzz for his game by saying something controversial like that. Peter Molyneux anyone?

Pyro as Bill said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Just as a Batman doll, a car, some decorated cardboard and a little imagination is a simulation of the Batman Universe.

Adults have little imagination so they need toy makers to recreate a digital Gotham City with a digital Batman doll and call it a game. 

That's not even remotely true.

A doll is just a visual representations of a character, whereas a full simulator has more than just visuals. It has that, plus the the other characters and their AI, the world where it's situated...etc

If you start talking imagination than you are no longer dealing with just the toy itself, you're talking about self created characters, AI, world...etc and by then you've already gone WAY past the definition of a "toy".

miz1q2w3e said:
Pyro as Bill said:
miz1q2w3e said:

What do you think it is?

A quote on the matter: "SimCity inspired a new genre of video games. "Software toys" that were open-ended with no set objective were developed trying to duplicate SimCity's success" - - - - But I say it does have an objective and you can fail at it.

Wikipedia says: "SimCity is a critically acclaimed city-building simulation video game", guess which definition I trust more... So it doesn't really matter what the creator of the game says. He didn't create the english language, nor does he appear to be any good at comprehending it.

I think he just wanted to create some buzz for his game by saying something controversial like that. Peter Molyneux anyone?

Wikipedia v Will Wright, the inventor of the genre. You can't be serious. It's the difference between saying Lassie is a dog instead of saying Lassie is a Collie.

Wiki calls it a 'videogame' because that has been the label that all software toys and software games have been given.

No, he doesn't do it for buzz, he does it because he knows the difference between a toy and a game and turned over billions of dollars by doing so. It's a shame people are offended by the word toy.

"I want to talk to you about toys"

http://www.ted.com/talks/will_wright_makes_toys_that_make_worlds.html