By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kinect Software Sales

Nice table. An order by release date would be interesting, to see whether sales are trending up or down (I'd guess down going into the holidays).

TBH I don't really feel either Kinect nor Move have really done that well at the moment, and in fact with interest in the Wii dipping rapidly I can't help feeling Sony and MS got their "Wii too" stuff to market just when interest was fading rather than continuing to peak.

Some decent sales for a few games but most are very low, scores are low, and quality has obviously been an issue. Move has the same problems but with even less to distinguish it so far. Recent titles have definitely launched weakly as well (Eden, Gunstringer, etc).

I'm going to be very curious to see if Kinect can re-ignite for the holidays or whether it will get caught in what feels like a general shift away from such stuff back to more traditional gaming titles and control schemes.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

Yeah the table will be refined when I update next

its a very good table, and it lets you see most Kinect data very easily, it is a bit sad that Sonic Free Riders is a 47 metacritic game and Child of Eden is a 84 and yet Sonic outsells Eden by nearly 400K :/

kowenicki said:
daveJ said:
Software numbers seem very low
ignoring the included game, it looks to be a brought attach ratio of about 1.5, ie lower than the psp which as we all known is terrible for software excluding Japan.
Is the move doing as badly software wise?

Well if we look at MOVE only titles, as we must when considering this... many times worse I would have thought. 

Move titles I'm sure have had even less impact than Kinect.  For this thread though, given the table has Forza and other optional Kinect titles we should also count Killlzone 3, etc in the same class with Move.

I won't go digging up the quote but I remember posting before Kinect and Move's launch that NO game released for the peripherals would sell a million (Of course, I was wrong)5 based on the simple fact that Kinect/Move games are only available to a fraction of the 360/PS3 audience but they are competing against every single 360/PS3 game.

Just because I own Kinect doesn't mean I have to choose between The Gunstringer and Dance Central 2. It means that I have to choose between The Gunstringer, Dance Central 2, Gears of War 3, and Batman Arkham Asylum! As a result, it'S a handicap situation as far as sales go. With that in mind, I think Kinect software is doing well--especially when most of the games are less than two gigs (I install everything) and have simple graphics.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Reasonable said:
kowenicki said:
daveJ said:
Software numbers seem very low
ignoring the included game, it looks to be a brought attach ratio of about 1.5, ie lower than the psp which as we all known is terrible for software excluding Japan.
Is the move doing as badly software wise?

Well if we look at MOVE only titles, as we must when considering this... many times worse I would have thought. 

Move titles I'm sure have had even less impact than Kinect.  For this thread though, given the table has Forza and other optional Kinect titles we should also count Killlzone 3, etc in the same class with Move.

Not really, and you know thats bogus.  We will never know how many % play optional move titles wiht move, but Im willing to bet it is tiny.

But yeah, including "better with kinect" is bogus too imo if that clarifies my argument. 

If we want to see the relative success of the two add-ons then it is Move only titles v Kinect titles.... the comparison would be startling.

I'd be happy either way, I just like "apples to apples" comparisons - i.e. all Move vs all Kinect or include titles with optional support as a seperate category.

TBH if you remove the optional stuff neither has proven too hot for sales IMHO.  Kinect got some nice early titles on the back of the big marketing push but since then it's been fairly terrible looking at The Gunstringer most recently for example.  Move is not doubt worse.  Since it's early batch of titles there's been nothing good specific to Move (removing LBP2, Killzone 3, etc. from the equation).  But Kinect is only better in terms of doing a less terrible job than Move not in terms of been a good platform for games in its own right.  Unlike with the Wii interest has clearly nosedived after the forced push at launch down to niche peripheral levels, and I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't for the Kinect bundles being competitively priced sales would be even worse.

Since Wii sales have really dipped and will Gears 3, etc. doing strong and Uncharted 3 looking like the next big PS3 exclusive I feel attention has slipped away from both peripherals back to more mainstream titles.  Sony seem to have little interest in Move currently, and in fact if anything they're putting more focus on optional titles support than Move specific, while MS seems to be on autopilot with Kinect.

We'll see if either company can improve interest over the holidays, but it's interesting to note that for both peripherals the most interesting looking stuff is optional, such as the Forza/Kinect utilization.

As I noted earlier, in hindsight it seems both lauched just as interest was moving away from the concept the Wii had originally championed.

Looking closer at these numbers, I would actually say that they are not very favourable for Kinect.

If you look at the full Kinect games list, you will realize that there are only two games that sold >=100k and were not released within two weeks after Kinect's launch date :
Carnival games and Michael Jackson.

Personally, I suppose that means that after just a few weeks of hype and incredible sales, people very soon simply lost interest in Kinect, both in hardware and software.

ArnoldRimmer said:
Looking closer at these numbers, I would actually say that they are not very favourable for Kinect.

If you look at the full Kinect games list, you will realize that there are only two games that sold >=100k and were not released within two weeks after Kinect's launch date :
Carnival games and Michael Jackson.

Personally, I suppose that means that after just a few weeks of hype and incredible sales, people very soon simply lost interest in Kinect, both in hardware and software.

Expected from you Arnold, don't you get tired of the constant negative MS crap you spout?

Kinect shipped more than PS3 and Wii in the first Q, so that's more than a few weeks, I put that at over 20. After that it's had poor SW support, so you picked from a very small range of games.

You'll see in a matter of weeks things heating up again very nicely for Kinect.

d21lewis said:
I won't go digging up the quote but I remember posting before Kinect and Move's launch that NO game released for the peripherals would sell a million (Of course, I was wrong)5 based on the simple fact that Kinect/Move games are only available to a fraction of the 360/PS3 audience but they are competing against every single 360/PS3 game.

Just because I own Kinect doesn't mean I have to choose between The Gunstringer and Dance Central 2. It means that I have to choose between The Gunstringer, Dance Central 2, Gears of War 3, and Batman Arkham Asylum! As a result, it'S a handicap situation as far as sales go. With that in mind, I think Kinect software is doing well--especially when most of the games are less than two gigs (I install everything) and have simple graphics.

My own thoughts exactly. Having said that, it feels like Kinect titles are only starting to become interesting now, which might be one of the reasons software sales haven't been too great.

It's unfortunate that something like The Gunstringer hasn't done better, but I think Microsoft is at fault there. A downloadable game in retail for $40 is not a recipy for success.

Wasn't Kinect supposed to move 20 million guaranteed by the end of 2011? I remember countless arguments about it. I was one of those who said it could not be done. Are people expecting it to sell near ten million or more in the last quarter without any substantial software to move it (still waiting for that to be honest)?

No, Kinect and Move will mostly be remembered as something (note that I say "something of" before anyone attacks me) of a swing and a miss imo.