Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo may never be on top again

I think Nintendo did lose some of their fanbase this generation. I know I lost my confidence in them somewhat, although I still think their first party games are top notch.



Around the Network
radishhead said:

As well as Nintendo have done during this generation in terms of sales, it's clear that their strategy isn't one that is going to last forever. Some of the new people that Nintendo has introduced to gaming will move onto tablets and smartphones, whereas others will enjoy gaming so much that they'll want to progress onto more challenging games. 

The future success of Nintendo greatly lies in them being able to secure a new fanbase from the younger audience (10-13) in order to secure a purchase from them in the coming generations. Some of the fans that they gained from the NES/SNES era are starting to turn away from Nintendo consoles in favour of the competition (as is expected), but this would normally be countered by the gain of a new fanbase from the younger market.

It's possible that the increased popularity of "hardcore" games such as Call of Duty (partly due to 3rd party propaganda, and from the growth of Youtube channels such as Machinima) have taken this market instead. In the past it was always about Mario or Zelda, but times are changing - there is a strong anti-Nintendo mentality among many younger gamers that there simply wasn't in the past. Are the popular Nintendo franchises finally going to step aside to make room for a new round of mega-franchises?

 

TL;DR: "Hardcore" 3rd party games are taking the market that Nintendo used to secure in the past. This could have a devastating impact on their hardware sales in the future.

 1st bolded: Are you talking about brian age or the usual nintendo franchises (mario, metroid, zelda, kirby, DK)?...

2nd: Is there any bigger franchise than mario or pokemon?... the only mega franchises I know are mario, pokemon, GTA, and COD (And for GTA & COD you would need to combine ps3/360 & pc)...

Who is going to buy nintendo games? nintendo fans and anybody who who enjoys video games.  



Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

miz1q2w3e said:
Thought Rol when I saw the thread title (certainly would've been funnier -_-)

Already done this one, but the crowd wasn't exactly pleased.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Nintendo don't need to be on top.
They will still be fine.



radishhead said:

As well as Nintendo have done during this generation in terms of sales, it's clear that their strategy isn't one that is going to last forever. Some of the new people that Nintendo has introduced to gaming will move onto tablets and smartphones, whereas others will enjoy gaming so much that they'll want to progress onto more challenging games. 

The future success of Nintendo greatly lies in them being able to secure a new fanbase from the younger audience (10-13) in order to secure a purchase from them in the coming generations. Some of the fans that they gained from the NES/SNES era are starting to turn away from Nintendo consoles in favour of the competition (as is expected), but this would normally be countered by the gain of a new fanbase from the younger market.

It's possible that the increased popularity of "hardcore" games such as Call of Duty (partly due to 3rd party propaganda, and from the growth of Youtube channels such as Machinima) have taken this market instead. In the past it was always about Mario or Zelda, but times are changing - there is a strong anti-Nintendo mentality among many younger gamers that there simply wasn't in the past. Are the popular Nintendo franchises finally going to step aside to make room for a new round of mega-franchises?

 

TL;DR: "Hardcore" 3rd party games are taking the market that Nintendo used to secure in the past. This could have a devastating impact on their hardware sales in the future.

I won't comment on the fact that this is the 2nd ''NIntendo is doomed'' thread you make in 2 days  : P

It's true that ishit mini games got popular, and it's mostly Nintendo's casual audience playing them, but they are still mini-games, they can't replace Mario's awesome games and characters and multiplayer, so they can't actually kill Nintendo

for the core gamers, Nintendo realised that lower than awesome graphics cause a core audience and developers to lose interest, that's why 3DS is based on ''vision'' and WiiU is expected to have great graphics and more 3rd party/core gamer support

most old Nintendo fans are always here, proved with the GC and this gen with Wii

for this gen Mario Kart is the best selling racing game, SSBB the best selling fighter, Wii has best selling sports, Zelda has both new and old audience, Pokemon is healthy, the only popular franchise that is used to higher sales and is getting lower is Metroid, which cannot compete to the other shooters, due to lack of online and HD graphics

Nintendo has so many 10m selling franchises, system sellers, that it's almost impossible for Mario, Pokemon, Smash and so on not to increase 3DS sales, 30m selling Mario, 10m selling Animal Crossing, there are so many....

3DS already has so much 3rd party support



don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Thought Rol when I saw the thread title (certainly would've been funnier -_-)

Already done this one, but the crowd wasn't exactly pleased.

Nice try but not gonna bump it ;)

Although reading it now it feels kinda weird, Wii is continuously in third place behind PS360 (third paragraph)



miz1q2w3e said:

Nice try but not gonna bump it ;)

Although reading it now it feels kinda weird, Wii is continuously in third place behind PS360 (third paragraph)

Not weird at all. The 360 and PS3 aren't ahead of the Wii due to their motion controls.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
miz1q2w3e said:

Nice try but not gonna bump it ;)

Although reading it now it feels kinda weird, Wii is continuously in third place behind PS360 (third paragraph)

Not weird at all. The 360 and PS3 aren't ahead of the Wii due to their motion controls.

More like eerie

And @ the second sentence, it certainly didn't help... Maybe it was the lack of anything big (more like anything period) all year + fully shifting focus to 3DS (leaving literally nothing for Wii)

On the bright side 3DS is in first place, but numbers aren't that amazing (soon to change with holiday titles)

What was this thread about again?



I think that Wii U will still be ahead of the competition next generation, mostly because it seems to be combining the best of classic gaming and the "fresh" tablet gaming. Not to mention it still adds a third option with the Wiimote, which, in the beggining of Wii U`s life might be of some importance to bring in gamers from Wii.

About the anti-Nintendo feeling, that exists since Snes vs Genesis/Megadrive days. Might have gotten worse in certain periods but it`s no biggie.
Nintendo might have lost gamers to the tablet/Smartphone market, but one could also say that gamers that started in that market moved over to Wii or even other consoles. More, given that Wii U controller resembles a tablet, it wouldn`t be surprising if in the future, people who only played with tablets wanted something more and ended up with a Wii U controller on their hands.



miz1q2w3e said:

More like eerie

And @ the second sentence, it certainly didn't help... Maybe it was the lack of anything big (more like anything period) all year + fully shifting focus to 3DS (leaving literally nothing for Wii)

On the bright side 3DS is in first place, but numbers aren't that amazing (soon to change with holiday titles)

What was this thread about again?

It really didn't hurt either. You are right, the real cause of the Wii's slide to third was and is a depressing release schedule.

The 3DS is in trouble for the reason I mentioned in my very first post in this thread. At this rate it will only ever put up solid sales, but never explode like the DS.

This topic was about a young Nintendo fan panicking, because he believes in hogwash.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club