By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo may never be on top again

milkyjoe said:
morenoingrato said:
RolStoppable said:
Roma said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
The Wii U could go the way of the Dreamcast, a good console but no way a commercial success. Nintendo could go the Third-Party developer way but if the case should carry on making many games because they have a good track record.

The day Nintendo steps out of the console race is the day they stop making games all together. That’s what they have said. People need too look at the bigger picture here. Nintendo can have this console fail and still come out with a new one for the 9th gen of console round.

Sega released the dreamcast when they were loosing money even before it came out and Nintendo is in no way even close to were Sega was at that time. They are sitting on a 13billion pail of cash right now. Is that money suddenly gonna disappear and they are going to leave just like that?

That's what he is probably hoping for, because he is one of those unbiased Sony/Nintendo fans who would like nothing more than seeing Nintendo make games for Sony.

Rainbow Yoshi goes well with your first post of this thread.

He hits teenages, he forgot Nintendo ever existed, he pretends Nintendo is all about the casual even if a year ago he debated the opposite, and years later he realizes how silly he was.

Does that look something like this?

If I got Super Mario Kart, there's no way I'd turn it down.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
You are young. It works more like this:

Children grow up with Nintendo, enter puberty, stop playing Nintendo because it's deemed as uncool and may return to Nintendo after puberty. Despite parting with Nintendo, they still have fond memories and probably want to have their children experience the same magical moments.

Sega took parts of Nintendo's fanbase in the early '90s and Sony continued to do the same to this very day. Additionally, Microsoft is also doing the same. You see, nothing has changed for Nintendo and it never will, because young people will always go through the same phases.

The only thing that can change is the games Nintendo puts out. This is what will make or break Nintendo in the future. What we could learn in the last five generations is that Nintendo is undefeated everytime they placed their bets on Super Mario Bros. and games with a similar philosophy. We could also learn that Nintendo is getting into trouble everytime they try to go too far into a different direction.

The thing is, although this was the case in the past, there's nothing to prove that it will continue to happen in the future. I can't believe that those that I've seen turn away from Nintendo consoles over the past 2-3 years or so ever turning back.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

First Call of Duty is not Hardcore nor Core it's Casual why just like PS3 and 360 gamers say because kids play Wii then kids play CoD make it casual.
Nintendo will always be on top why mobile is not a console or tablets. Wii U will have 50-80% of Wii owners and 10-50% of Core Gamers not so-call Hardcore gamer cause there is no such thing as Hardcore gamer.

Those who don't know what Nintendo is or do will never understand why their games are on the top best selling 100 games on here. I understand what your saying but you can't judge Wii U nor Wii until the Wii is discontinued then decide whether Wii will make Wii U successful. Then Wii U is discontinue by the time Nintendo 9th Generation console is release then make you statement.

"Nintendo fan for life"

sorry about second post

"Nintendo fan for life"

I agree with most of this anaysis, but Call of Duty didn't become popular because of "3rd party propaganda" : CoD is (was? see BF3) an excellent game that appeals to teenage and older audiences much more than Nintendo's games do.

The Xenoblade/Operation Rainfall fiasco is the ultimate proof that Nintendo doesn't want to make any serious effort towards the core audience. As a result, HD software will put Ninty's line-up to shame this Xmas, making 2011 the year of Nintendo's fall. Can WiiU compete with cheaper PS3 and X360, let alone possible new systems? As far as we now it stands no chance.

Around the Network
Rainbow Yoshi said:
morenoingrato said:
RolStoppable said:
Roma said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
The Wii U could go the way of the Dreamcast, a good console but no way a commercial success. Nintendo could go the Third-Party developer way but if the case should carry on making many games because they have a good track record.

The day Nintendo steps out of the console race is the day they stop making games all together. That’s what they have said. People need too look at the bigger picture here. Nintendo can have this console fail and still come out with a new one for the 9th gen of console round.

Sega released the dreamcast when they were loosing money even before it came out and Nintendo is in no way even close to were Sega was at that time. They are sitting on a 13billion pail of cash right now. Is that money suddenly gonna disappear and they are going to leave just like that?

That's what he is probably hoping for, because he is one of those unbiased Sony/Nintendo fans who would like nothing more than seeing Nintendo make games for Sony.

Rainbow Yoshi goes well with your first post of this thread.

He hits teenages, he forgot Nintendo ever existed, he pretends Nintendo is all about the casual even if a year ago he debated the opposite, and years later he realizes how silly he was.

But that can't be me, my first ever game was Crash 3: Warped.

Okay.

So you loved Nintendo, and knew how the industry treated it. Suddenly, you forgot all of it and you pretend Nintendo is casual and that there is even the slightest chance of them going multiplat.

I am deciding if this really is a joke thread or not.

If it is, I have to give radishhead props for acting so serious about it.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

If Nintendo does not return to the top, it will have NOTHING to do with "hardcore" games or gamers, and everything to do with Nintendo's own stubbornness to continue to produce games that will appeal to a mass audience. They did this during the DS and early Wii era or 2004 - 2009, but reverted back to their ways of creating niche games the past couple years, which is why they have fallen back to the bottom again. If anything, Nintendo trying to go the "hardcore" route (which they are now), will be what leads to their downfall.

Most people thought the same way you do during the Gamecube era, and that Nintendo did not posess the ability to return to dominance. Well, we all know how that turned out. The Wii was a sales beast and shattered all kinds of sales recordes, even with no HD support and virtually EVERY third party developer not supporting them. Nintendo proved they very much hold the ability to not only be on top, but to completely dominate the gaming industry at will. The question is will they want to? Most will say of course they will, but for some reason Nintendo is once again content with creating only games THEY want to create, which are usually niche games, even at the expense of low sales.They need to go back to creating more games that go outside the box and draw in an expanded gaming audience that is otherwise shunned and ignored by the rest of the industry, more games like Brain Age, NSMB, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc, and less games liks Metroid: Other M, Fire Emblem, Sin and Punishment, etc..

The only thing that will stand in the way of Nintendo is Nintendo.

Nintendo are doing juuust fine.

radishhead said:

But there was always respect for who Nintendo were and what they'd done for the insustry - nowdays, Nintendo = Casual, and there's nothing Nintendo can do to change that now. 

There isn't any proof because it hasn't happened yet - I'm suggesting that WiiU is going to suffer greatly because they're aiming to please a market that doesn't care for Nintendo any more. If they lose the family market for phones/tablets, and lose the "hardcore" gamers to the competition; who have they got left?

I find statements like this one kind of funny, mostly because I think most people don't really use the term "casual gamer" negatively except for nerds on messageboards; in fact, most people don't know what the term "casual gamer" even means. You're not going to impress anyone in real life by declaring "I'm a hardcore gamer!", in fact most people will probably look at you like you have a mental illness.

I think most people see things the opposite of you, the Wii is either the first Nintendo home console they ever owned, or the first since the SNES/NES that they owned.

Gamecube was largely seen as a console that catered only to children, and personally, I didn't know anyone except children who owned a Gamecube. I am not saying that there weren't games that appealed to adult audiences too, it is just that the wide perception was that Gamecube and Nintendo home consoles were for kids only. That perception only evaporated when the Wii came out. 

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.