By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo may never be on top again

Nintendo of America don't want to localize the RPG games because they sell poorly on Wii.
Mother 3 was never localize, Fire Emblem never localize up until GBA first game of the franchise. That was great and had a success in US then they decide to keep the game localize here. Pokemon will always be localize for the main games. The Fact the those three JRPG aren't even selling anymore now. If they were we would had gotten a release date. Only those who truly knows Nintendo will understand. Call of Duty is more popular than Mario or Pokemon. Here why Black Ops came out before Pokemon BW and BW sold right behind 360 version but surpass PS3 version in 6 month release. New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Kart Wii sold a lot more and you say Call of Duty appeals to more people when Wii has more users than 360 and PS3.

"Nintendo fan for life"

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
radishhead said:

But there was always respect for who Nintendo were and what they'd done for the insustry - nowdays, Nintendo = Casual, and there's nothing Nintendo can do to change that now. 

There isn't any proof because it hasn't happened yet - I'm suggesting that WiiU is going to suffer greatly because they're aiming to please a market that doesn't care for Nintendo any more. If they lose the family market for phones/tablets, and lose the "hardcore" gamers to the competition; who have they got left?

I find statements like this one kind of funny, mostly because I think most people don't really use the term "casual gamer" negatively except for nerds on messageboards; in fact, most people don't know what the term "casual gamer" even means. You're not going to impress anyone in real life by declaring "I'm a hardcore gamer!", in fact most people will probably look at you like you have a mental illness.

I think most people see things the opposite of you, the Wii is either the first Nintendo home console they ever owned, or the first since the SNES/NES that they owned.

Gamecube was largely seen as a console that catered only to children, and personally, I didn't know anyone except children who owned a Gamecube. I am not saying that there weren't games that appealed to adult audiences too, it is just that the wide perception was that Gamecube and Nintendo home consoles were for kids only. That perception only evaporated when the Wii came out. 

It's not my comment that Nintendo is casual- I'm talking about the self-proclaimed  "hardcore" gamers who refuse to buy Nintendo products because they don't want to be associated with the "casual" label - which funnily enough is only thrown around by people similar to them. I'm suggesting that this group of self-proclaimed "hardcore" gamers is growing rapidly through the popularity of games such as CoD. Whereas Nintendo may have easily managed to gain the younger age market before, they may not be able to do so in the future because the popularity of these M rated games is spreading younger.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Still we don't know how the next PS or Box will be, so I can't tell for sure if Nintendo will be on top again or not. IMHO the Wii U will be successful but not as the Wii, same with 3DS which is understandable since DS and Wii are one of the best selling consoles so it's hard to have more success right away. Like someone said in the comments I don't think Nintendo would go third party if Wii U fails and probably they will launch another console in the next next(? generation.
Also, Nintendo always had that fame of being "only for kids", here in Argentina the Wii is SO underrated and the PS3 is freaking overrated, almost everyone thinks the Wii is a $hitty machine only because it's graphics and the games are "only for little children", I was lucky I didn't heard them and bought a Wii because it's such a great console for both kids and young adults like me.
Just my two cents anyway

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

If there is market loss to other types of machines, it is not unreasonable to think that all types of existing machines will be impacted. If you look at the analysis, the thought is that only Nintendo console and handheld unit players are gaming on iPads and Smartphones. That is simply not true.

Furthermore, the technology mix of the WiiU -- HD graphics and a second screen -- appears to be resonating with many third-parties. If the WiiU becomes a port-box for third parties and still has Nintendo first-party strength, then it could do very well in the next generation.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

"Nintendo of America don't want to localize the RPG games because they sell poorly on Wii."

That's not a good reason, because not every game has to be a hit. Furthermore, those games still help round out the library, which is always a good thing with systems. Look how it helped the DS, and even the PSP.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Nintendo wasnt on top last gen,but still made a profit on the gamecube (not to mention some of their best ever games).Im not too fussed if Nintendo arent on top next gen,as long as the great games are there.PS3 is in last place but still have corking games.

Jumpin said:
radishhead said:

But there was always respect for who Nintendo were and what they'd done for the insustry - nowdays, Nintendo = Casual, and there's nothing Nintendo can do to change that now. 

There isn't any proof because it hasn't happened yet - I'm suggesting that WiiU is going to suffer greatly because they're aiming to please a market that doesn't care for Nintendo any more. If they lose the family market for phones/tablets, and lose the "hardcore" gamers to the competition; who have they got left?

I find statements like this one kind of funny, mostly because I think most people don't really use the term "casual gamer" negatively except for nerds on messageboards; in fact, most people don't know what the term "casual gamer" even means. You're not going to impress anyone in real life by declaring "I'm a hardcore gamer!", in fact most people will probably look at you like you have a mental illness.

I think most people see things the opposite of you, the Wii is either the first Nintendo home console they ever owned, or the first since the SNES/NES that they owned.

Gamecube was largely seen as a console that catered only to children, and personally, I didn't know anyone except children who owned a Gamecube. I am not saying that there weren't games that appealed to adult audiences too, it is just that the wide perception was that Gamecube and Nintendo home consoles were for kids only. That perception only evaporated when the Wii came out. 

i loved (and still do) the gamecube,it had some really superb games-it was a really underrated console.Zelda the wind waker is a masterpiece.

amp316 said:
I am deciding if this really is a joke thread or not.

If it is, I have to give radishhead props for acting so serious about it.

I was reading this with a british accent. I don't know why, though.

Oh, and hardcore gamers are the hipsters of gaming. 

amp316 said:
I am deciding if this really is a joke thread or not.

If it is, I have to give radishhead props for acting so serious about it.

I'm not completely mad - I don't believe everything that I've written in the OP; however, there are some potential issues facing Nintendo in the future that could at least be similar to that shown in the OP

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

What worries me about Nintendo is the future, as much as the Wii is being labeled as the kiddy machine, is this true at all? Will these kids have fond memories of the Wii in the future? I'm reall not sure about that. Here in Mexico the most popular system among kids is the Xbox360, even some kids find the Wii boring.... as much as I like the Wii I don't feel it has transmited the same "magic" feeling I felt when playing the Nes. If you think otherwise please tell me because honestly most kids I know prefer to play Xbox or Playstation.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069