By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after the NPD, is the 3DS doomed again?

BluGamer23 said:
... lets all just wait for the vita to release shall we... silly to talk about launch failures now when its competition hasnt releasesed yet..
it be more interesting to talk about the 3DS failures then.. since it failed on the current price point of the vita.. will see if the vita it self can sell at that price..

how long is a launch period anyway? 3DS has been given less than 4 months and it was already called a launch failure.. same standards should apply!.. no excuses.

Just to clarify, no one should be calling the 3DS as a whole a failure, that's just silly.   I'm only saying that the launch window could have been handled a lot better, I think most of us can agree there.  If you ask Iwata what he thinks, I'm sure he would say the launch was disappointing.  The system itself should be fine.

But do you see what bothers me?  The 3DS was trying to sell at a tough price point.  It failed as you said, but it was largely because of how it was handled.  Then people say that since 3DS couldn't sell there, no machine can.  That's not fair.  We haven't seen a handheld with a good launch try it yet.  The insistence that no one can do it is what bothers me. 

Around the Network
morenoingrato said:

Yes, 3DS is doomed and it won't sell EVER, anyone who dissagrees with me is wrong!!!
***lalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalalalala***

I don't see anyone saying that?

NYANKS said:
morenoingrato said:

Yes, 3DS is doomed and it won't sell EVER, anyone who dissagrees with me is wrong!!!
***lalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalalalala***

I don't see anyone saying that?

It doesn't have the disguise.

RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:
RolStoppable said:

Your logic is this: Higher market share leads to more commitment.

But how do you explain the PSP rebounding in Japan after it had already been clearly outpaced by the DS? With an attach rate of below 2.0 and an installed base that was millions of units behind the DS, third party publishers should have let the PSP die. That didn't happen. Instead they turned around and fully backed the PSP while abandoning the DS.

Courtesy of Metacritic for all to see. 

DS

(90+) = 7

(80-89) = 107

(70-79) = 261

PSP

90+ = 2

80-89 = 89

70-79 = 182

- DS has more total games.

- DS has more quality titles......a lot more. 

- DS still outsells PSP worldwide even with 3DS migration. Just stop, I have real sources backing me up.

If you have real sources to back you up, then disprove my point above with them.

My argument is that the early release of the 3DS (and higher market share) will lead to higher developer support. You claimed this to not be the case.

I countered with the fact that the DS has more total games then the PSP, thus proving you wrong.

You backed up and cited that in shvelware yes, but not in quality games.

I countered by actually counting the number of quality games on each platform. The DS clearly had more quality games then the PSP.

The data I gave you was directly from the Metcritic archives..........it is THERE FOR YOU TO SEE. 

Where as all you can bring to the table is a PSP resurgence in Japan in 2011. Great job buddy, using the PSP performance in ONE territory in ONE year. My logic follows the developers supporting the DS GLOBALLY since 2005 till 2010. Hell even outside Japan I think more DS games get released then PSP games this year. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Eh, I'm not worried about 3DS. Nintendo dominates the holidays so wait for the holidays before you count it out.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I can't believe people are still arguing about DS and PS2. Really.

There is no solid sales data for PS2. ioi has openly admitted that it's undertracked here, simply because he doesn't know where the extra MILLIONS should be, and when.

Nintendo still haven't, to my knowing, said the DS has outsold the PS2 WW (Theyve touted the victory in America).

It's pretty obvious to 99% of people that the DS still hasn't outsold the PS2 just yet. Nintendo might have even killed all chances of that happening.

Carl2291 said:

There is no solid sales data for PS2. ioi has openly admitted that it's undertracked here, simply because he doesn't know where the extra MILLIONS should be, and when.

Nintendo still haven't, to my knowing, said the DS has outsold the PS2 WW (Theyve touted the victory in America).

It's pretty obvious to 99% of people that the DS still hasn't outsold the PS2 just yet. Nintendo might have even killed all chances of that happening.

I wasn't trying to argue, I first stated what you just did.  People act like you're personally attacking their child or something.  Thanks for reiterating.

NYANKS said:
BluGamer23 said:
... lets all just wait for the vita to release shall we... silly to talk about launch failures now when its competition hasnt releasesed yet..
it be more interesting to talk about the 3DS failures then.. since it failed on the current price point of the vita.. will see if the vita it self can sell at that price..

how long is a launch period anyway? 3DS has been given less than 4 months and it was already called a launch failure.. same standards should apply!.. no excuses.

Just to clarify, no one should be calling the 3DS as a whole a failure, that's just silly.   I'm only saying that the launch window could have been handled a lot better, I think most of us can agree there.  If you ask Iwata what he thinks, I'm sure he would say the launch was disappointing.  The system itself should be fine.

But do you see what bothers me?  The 3DS was trying to sell at a tough price point.  It failed as you said, but it was largely because of how it was handled.  Then people say that since 3DS couldn't sell there, no machine can.  That's not fair.  We haven't seen a handheld with a good launch try it yet.  The insistence that no one can do it is what bothers me. 

"Then people say that since 3DS couldn't sell there, no machine can.  That's not fair.  We haven't seen a handheld with a good launch try it yet. "

true thats why I said will see how the vita will do at that price point.. if it will do any better.. but its a lot more dangerous for the vita to fail at that price.. as sony really cant afford to drop the price any lower with such a high spec handheld.. least the 3DS should be fine at its current price for nintendo business they can lose a little.

RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:

My argument is that the early release of the 3DS (and higher market share) will lead to higher developer support. You claimed this to not be the case.

I countered with the fact that the DS has more total games then the PSP, thus proving you wrong.

You backed up and cited that in shvelware yes, but not in quality games.

I countered by actually counting the number of quality games on each platform. The DS clearly had more quality games then the PSP.

The data I gave you was directly from the Metcritic archives..........it is THERE FOR YOU TO SEE. 

Where as all you can bring to the table is a PSP resurgence in Japan in 2011. Great job buddy, using the PSP performance in ONE territory in ONE year. My logic follows the developers supporting the DS GLOBALLY since 2005 till 2010. Hell even outside Japan I think more DS games get released then PSP games this year. 

The PSP resurgence started in 2009, so that's actually three years and Japan is by far the most important territory, because the majority of quality handheld games comes from there. If you look at Metacritic numbers per year instead of lifetime, you would probably see that the DS numbers decrease from 2009 onwards while they stay flat or increase for the PSP. This is something that shouldn't be happening, if the statement "higher market share leads to better third party support" holds true.

If the DS, the bestselling handheld of all time, can lose developer support to a direct competitor, then it's reasonable to suggest that 3DS third party support isn't safe either. Basic rules of economics don't mean much when the industry has proven that it is willing to act against those.

In case you havent heard....Japan is now the 3rd largest gaming territory now, behind NA and Europe. Give me facts that say NA and Europe are supporting the PSP more then the DS and then talk to me. 

But even with your reasoning, it doesnt trump the basics of my argument. DS has more total games. DS has more quality games.  Higher market share leads to higher developer support.

The early and middle parts of the gen favoured the DS. Now, when the DS has a successor and the PSP is about to have one......some developers in Japan only mind you, are supporting the PSP more. Such late game developments never amount to much in the end, especially if its just localized to Japan and not NA/Europe. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Carl2291 said:

lol Carl, even if ioi admitted PS2 was undertracked, did he say it was more than 5 million? No.

Also take a look at this article... it was written a year and a half ago and is referring to NPD analyst:

http://www.destructoid.com/ds-set-to-outsell-the-ps2-some-time-this-year-173837.phtml

As for Nintendo not having said the DS outsold the PS2, I don't know, seriously I'm not aware of all the PR talk, are you?. What I know is that the DS has outsold PS2 long time ago in Japan and about 1 year ago in the US. But hey, if you prefer to believe that PS2 is still #1 in sale, then be my guest.