By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after the NPD, is the 3DS doomed again?

Solid-Stark said:
Can we let the 3DS have it's first holiday season, let alone a year before we doom it?

No. It must be doomed now.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

What I find troubling for the 3DS is that Mario Land 3D, according to the Japan Preview, has only ~50,000 preorders in Japan. It releases in like 2 weeks. I would have thought that just about everyone who owns a 3DS (plus those who are purchasing a 3DS for ML 3D), especially in Japan, would be preordering it. I wonder if the upcoming Vita launch is stealing some of the enthusiasm people had for the 3DS.

thismeintiel said:

What I find troubling for the 3DS is that Mario Land 3D, according to the Japan Preview, has only ~50,000 preorders in Japan. It releases in like 2 weeks. I would have thought that just about everyone who owns a 3DS (plus those who are purchasing a 3DS for ML 3D), especially in Japan, would be preordering it. I wonder if the upcoming Vita launch is stealing some of the enthusiasm people had for the 3DS.

Nintendo games tend to not be too much pre-ordered. Super Mario Galaxy at the same time has less pre-orders and reachs at least a million. 3DS userbase is about 2 million in Japan, so it's too early. These games has legs.

Also, MK7 and MH3G are big games. The later is still like 7-8 weeks and is almost the most pre-ordered game.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

Nothing to worry about. The absence of Monster Hunter for the Vita is probably a bigger deal.

I wouldn't worry too much about that.  MH will undoubtedly come to Vita eventually.  But, as Pavolink pointed out to me, I suppose actual Nintendo games don't usually get preordered as much.

RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

I wouldn't worry too much about that.  MH will undoubtedly come to Vita eventually.  But, as Pavolink pointed out to me, I suppose actual Nintendo games don't usually get preordered as much.

Good, so nothing to worry about between the 3DS and PS Vita. However, Apple is a huge threat to both of them, because they have all it takes to make dedicated gaming handhelds obsolete.

LMAO!  Yea, I'm tried of hearing that just about every day in the news.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

And it pisses me off to see there are still people in total denial, thinking PS2 is #1. DS is actually 5 million over PS2 LTD and we are talking about unit sold to consumers not retailers. Even if the PS2 is undertracked, I don't think it is that much. Also DS is still selling quite good and will have another good holiday, thus raising the gap even more.

Oh and it tooks 6 years to achieve what the PS2 did in 11 years. Now you can argue about portable console vs. home console but please stop denying about the numbers.

The only one in denial is you.  Just because VGC doesn't care about numbers that aren't on the front page doesn't mean the PS2 numbers are accurate.  There aren't ~9 million PS2s on store shelves while the DS has less than 700k on shelves.  Last quarter, the PS2 shipped 1.4 million and the DS shipped 1.44 million.  Yet VGC sales were 545,324 for the PS2 and 1,636,180 for the DS.

You obviously don't have much faith in the DS actually beating the PS2 if you have to rely on such incredibly inaccurate numbers.  This is the same site that before adjustments had only 225k DS systems on shelves at the end of last quarter, and 74k more Wiis sold to consumers than had been shipped to retailers.

So why wasting your time on this site if you don't believe their numbers? lol All these ''PS2 is undertracked on VGC'' makes me laugh.

Reality is DS outsold PS2 LTD and it tooks less than 6 years to do so. So in the end, yes, DS is the best selling console of all time, like it or not.

RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

LMAO!  Yea, I'm tried of hearing that just about every day in the news.  I'll believe it when I see it.

What I don't understand about the whole Apple thing is why so many actual gaming websites get behind this nonsense. It's as if they want it to happen which makes no sense whatsoever for anyone who likes portable gaming.

They want to be "modern" and "in tune with the times", I guess? And of course, being totally wrong won't hurt them, but being sensationalist will certainly get them clicks.

atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

And it pisses me off to see there are still people in total denial, thinking PS2 is #1. DS is actually 5 million over PS2 LTD and we are talking about unit sold to consumers not retailers. Even if the PS2 is undertracked, I don't think it is that much. Also DS is still selling quite good and will have another good holiday, thus raising the gap even more.

Oh and it tooks 6 years to achieve what the PS2 did in 11 years. Now you can argue about portable console vs. home console but please stop denying about the numbers.

The only one in denial is you.  Just because VGC doesn't care about numbers that aren't on the front page doesn't mean the PS2 numbers are accurate.  There aren't ~9 million PS2s on store shelves while the DS has less than 700k on shelves.  Last quarter, the PS2 shipped 1.4 million and the DS shipped 1.44 million.  Yet VGC sales were 545,324 for the PS2 and 1,636,180 for the DS.

You obviously don't have much faith in the DS actually beating the PS2 if you have to rely on such incredibly inaccurate numbers.  This is the same site that before adjustments had only 225k DS systems on shelves at the end of last quarter, and 74k more Wiis sold to consumers than had been shipped to retailers.

So why wasting your time on this site if you don't believe their numbers? lol All these ''PS2 is undertracked on VGC'' makes me laugh.

Reality is DS outsold PS2 LTD and it tooks less than 6 years to do so. So in the end, yes, DS is the best selling console of all time, like it or not.

The heads of the site even admit it.  Don't be a sheep, these numbers are off all the time, and the people who make the site admit they don't know where to put the extra numbers, so they refuse to. Lame, I know.

You act like we have a vendetta against DS.  It's gonna pass it eventually, it's just not yet.  If it was a home console it would be much more sad to me lol.

NYANKS said:
atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

The heads of the site even admit it.  Don't be a sheep, these numbers are off all the time, and the people who make the site admit they don't know where to put the extra numbers, so they refuse to. Lame, I know.

You act like we have a vendetta against DS.  It's gonna pass it eventually, it's just not yet.  If it was a home console it would be much more sad to me lol.

I don't see where it says PS2 LTD > DS LTD on this site, sorry. Even if there is indeed PS2 undertracking, thinking it is more than 5 million is simply absurd.

Some people here just hate to see Nintendo on top.

ctalkeb said:
RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

What I don't understand about the whole Apple thing is why so many actual gaming websites get behind this nonsense. It's as if they want it to happen which makes no sense whatsoever for anyone who likes portable gaming.

They want to be "modern" and "in tune with the times", I guess? And of course, being totally wrong won't hurt them, but being sensationalist will certainly get them clicks.

Sad, but true.