By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after the NPD, is the 3DS doomed again?

NYANKS said:

Right not competition.  But Nintendo was obviously not pleased with the sales for such a massive price cut.  It was putting up poor numbers.  His picture makes it seem like 3DS has done better than it has, it couldn't even come close to "best selling" if it wasn't for the cut.

And certainly I'm not pleased with NPD 3DS sales. I was expecting to be overtracked, but not by a lot. Hope holidays does better, because I think Wii will not sell that much (compared with previous years). DS will surprise us (in a good or a bad mood...).

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

Isn't that a little misleading when the console needed a 70 dollar price cut so early to even compete

?

There's no competition right now for 3DS. Vita is not released, and PSP still sells below DS (which has the succesor out there).

Right not competition.  But Nintendo was obviously not pleased with the sales for such a massive price cut.  It was putting up poor numbers.  His picture makes it seem like 3DS has done better than it has, it couldn't even come close to "best selling" if it wasn't for the cut.

By your post, then the Vita is pretty much fucked in the west since it's $249.99 + tax + memory card+ 40 - 50 dollar games + tax.

The Vita system is actually worth 250, which 3DS was not.  If you don't agree, this argument will go nowhere.

RolStoppable said:
NYANKS said:

The Vita system is actually worth 250, which 3DS was not.  If you don't agree, this argument will go nowhere.

Based on technology? Well, what else could you mean?

The horsepower and the number of inputs are indeed what I meant.  It's the only way hardware makes a difference right? The rest is on the games.

Edit: I should say quality of the input as well, not just number of course.

RolStoppable said:
NYANKS said:

The horsepower and the number of inputs are indeed what I meant.  It's the only way hardware makes a difference right? The rest is on the games.

Edit: I should say quality of the input as well, not just number of course.

I would say that it's pretty much all on the games. You know, the PSP was worth $250 and the PS3 was worth $600, but the number of people who buy video game hardware for the sake of hardware is quite small. The Vita being worth $250 doesn't mean much, because it didn't help the PSP and PS3 either. So using this as a point that the Vita will do well isn't really convincing.

I never said it guarantees anything, I just said that the difference in technology justifies the difference in prices.  The 3DS was overpriced to begin with, imo.  And inputs being part of hardware, I'd say that could have an impact. 

The 3DS has remained the best selling system WW (I believe) since the price drop, and that's still with only a couple of popular games to its library. The fact that it dropped to 2nd place to the 360 in NA the last few weeks is perfectly normal (Gears 3 came out, after all). The holidays will paint a very nice picture for 3DS in both the east and west.

By the end of the year, 3DS will have an install base of over 10m WW.

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

Isn't that a little misleading when the console needed a 70 dollar price cut so early to even compete

?

There's no competition right now for 3DS. Vita is not released, and PSP still sells below DS (which has the succesor out there).

By your post, then the Vita is pretty much fucked in the west since it's $249.99 + tax + memory card+ 40 - 50 dollar games + tax.

It doesn't matter if the hardware is worth it or not but Vita, as of right now with all the things i listed, costs over 350 dollars. More than a PS3. That is NOT a mass market price in this economy that we live in. 3DS proved that high priced dedicated gaming devices just won't sell no matter what the hardware is.Especially now with iTouches and iPhones.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

?

It doesn't matter if the hardware is worth it or not but Vita, as of right now with all the things i listed, costs over 350 dollars. More than a PS3. That is NOT a mass market price in this economy that we live in. 3DS proved that high priced dedicated gaming devices just won't sell no matter what the hardware is.Especially now with iTouches and iPhones.

The only thing the 3DS proved is how to have a failure of a launch.  Just because the 3DS had a miserable launch, doesn't mean one can't succeed with a good launch.

Can we let the 3DS have it's first holiday season, let alone a year before we doom it?

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

?

The only thing the 3DS proved is how to have a failure of a launch.  Just because the 3DS had a miserable launch, doesn't mean one can't succeed with a good launch.

So the Vita can have a great one based on what exactly?

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

?

So the Vita can have a great one based on what exactly?

There are no guarantees in this business, but they seem to have a fantastic number and breadth of games so far.  If they release many good games at launch, do so without shortages for the most part and Sony doesn't mess up something, I don't see why it couldn't be a good launch.  It's not too complicated, if Nintendo had released it a little cheaper and had a New Super Mario Bros 3DS at launch, it would have been a different launch, I agree with Rol there.