By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after the NPD, is the 3DS doomed again?

Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:
Since when selling at the same pace as the best selling console of all time is considered doomed?

The 3DS isn't even in the same ballpark as the PS2.

Japan 33 weeks: 3,257,233

Americas 28 weeks: 2,903,220

EMEAA 29 weeks: 2,274,215

Total: 8,434,668  Granted that includes a holiday, but it was also supply constrained and didn't receive a huge pricecut.

In the same time, the 3DS is at 5,721,774.  Of course that is slightly overtracked in the US for August and substantially overtracked in September.  We'll see pretty soon what Nintendo's numbers are for Europe.

But I guess you were probably talking about the DS...

Japan 33 weeks: 2,568,872

Americas: 28 weeks: 2,090,682

EMEAA 29 weeks: 1,395,289

Total: 6,054,843  Still quite a bit ahead, but the gap should be closed fairly soon.  The real test is if it can still sell on par while the DS was actually selling huge numbers.  Doing 20-30 million a year, year after year.

This is why the site's refusal to update PS2 numbers pisses me off, people think DS is #1. 

Around the Network

iirc Nintendo isnt selling it at a loss, just break-even.

I dont know, I think people is holding too much hope on Mario Land an MKart7. The 3D stuff is still scaring the impressionable american customers.

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

Mr.Ashtear said:
iirc Nintendo isnt selling it at a loss, just break-even.

I dont know, I think people is holding too much hope on Mario Land an MKart7. The 3D stuff is still scaring the impressionable american customers.

I am kind of worried those games might not live up to my expectations (content wise).

By New Year's Eve I am only going to own 3 3DS games (Super Monkey Ball 3D, Mario Land 3D, and Mario Kart 7).

Next year is sitting pretty squarely on Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2 for me (unless I forgot other good 3DS exclusives that fit my tastes).

And yes, I only play my 3DS in 2D mode (though I do like the quality of the slide pad and speakers).

Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:
Since when selling at the same pace as the best selling console of all time is considered doomed?

Total: 8,434,668  Granted that includes a holiday, but it was also supply constrained and didn't receive a huge pricecut.

In the same time, the 3DS is at 5,721,774.  Of course that is slightly overtracked in the US for August and substantially overtracked in September.  We'll see pretty soon what Nintendo's numbers are for Europe.

Total: 6,054,843  Still quite a bit ahead, but the gap should be closed fairly soon.  The real test is if it can still sell on par while the DS was actually selling huge numbers.  Doing 20-30 million a year, year after year.

Well I don't get why you're talking about the PS2 since I spoke about the best selling console of all time, not the second best! :)

And like some others already said, selling on par with the DS is not bad considering there is still no real system sellers out.

NYANKS said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

This is why the site's refusal to update PS2 numbers pisses me off, people think DS is #1. 

And it pisses me off to see there are still people in total denial, thinking PS2 is #1. DS is actually 5 million over PS2 LTD and we are talking about unit sold to consumers not retailers. Even if the PS2 is undertracked, I don't think it is that much. Also DS is still selling quite good and will have another good holiday, thus raising the gap even more.

Oh and it tooks 6 years to achieve what the PS2 did in 11 years. Now you can argue about portable console vs. home console but please stop denying about the numbers.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
I think the holiday will definitely boost the 3DS sales. I mean, the remakes are great but you can only do so much with nostalgia in terms of sales. With Super Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7 coming out, I'm sure that the 3DS will dominate this holiday season.

Yea but Nintendo is doomed.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

ctalkeb said:
BluGamer23 said:

err no your implying that it is a bad thing that the 3DS wont get close to the DS sales.. just for the sake of putting a negative spin to  your post!..

well.. just like saying well the vita will never come close to the DS sales... does it need to even be said?.. just for the sake of putting a negative spin to it see?   everyone knows nothing at this point can come close to the DS sales.. why bother saying it.. unless your implying something else would..

You know, sometimes "sorry about that" just works better.

OT: 1) No, it's not doomed. 2) It's pointless to compare it to first year DS sales, as the DS didn't sell fantastically in its first year either. 3) Anyone else waiting for the smartphone/tablet-gaming bubble to burst?

another one.. 

where in my comment did I seem sorry?..  why should I say sorry when Im not?..

Mummelmann said:
BluGamer23 said:
Mummelmann said:
BluGamer23 said:
Mummelmann said:
If this gen has taught us anything, it should be that consoles can gain a lot of steam later on, a slow start might not mean anything at all.
Then again, I'm unsure of the future of handheld gaming and the role tablets and smartphones will have in it so this is hard to say.
But, no matter what happens, the 3DS is more than likely not "doomed" or "d0med" or anything of the sort. The only thing I can say for certain right now is that it is extremely unlikely to come anywhere near the DS' sales in its lifetime.

"The only thing I can say for certain right now is that it is extremely unlikely to come anywhere near the DS' sales in its lifetime." ..

you say this like as if any other console can come close to the DS lifetime sales in the future...

You're going to have to elaborate there. How am I implying that other consoles will? You think that I believe that the Vita, PS3, 360 or Wii will come close to DS numbers?

"Tyson Gay is extremely unlikely to beat Usain Bolt at the 100 meters final in the 2012 London Olympic Games." Does that sentence imply that some other sprinter will beat him or be close to beating him?

I'm sorry if this comes off as a tad obsessive but I really want to know how you read that into my post.

"You're going to have to elaborate there. How am I implying that other consoles will? You think that I believe that the Vita, PS3, 360 or Wii will come close to DS numbers?"

err no your implying that it is a bad thing that the 3DS wont get close to the DS sales.. just for the sake of putting a negative spin to  your post!..

well.. just like saying well the vita will never come close to the DS sales... does it need to even be said?.. just for the sake of putting a negative spin to it see?   everyone knows nothing at this point can come close to the DS sales.. why bother saying it.. unless your implying something else would..

I honestly believe that you are the only person in this thread who sees this negative spin in my post. If anything, I wrote the post to disarm the fallacy of thinking the 3DS "doomed". Constructing strawmen does nothing to improve your argument and you're simply misinterpreting my whole point for the sake of stirring things up a little. I've been in here for too long to fall for it and I realize that further discussion is fruitless.

right.. how would you feel if I said something like..

.. You know the vita.. it will do alright.. but no fcuking way it will ever .. everrr! get close to DS sales..  (understand?)

"I've been in here for too long to fall for it and I realize that further discussion is fruitless.".. --- well if you put that way then you must be an expert and know more than me.. my bad.

atma998 said:
NYANKS said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

And it pisses me off to see there are still people in total denial, thinking PS2 is #1. DS is actually 5 million over PS2 LTD and we are talking about unit sold to consumers not retailers. Even if the PS2 is undertracked, I don't think it is that much. Also DS is still selling quite good and will have another good holiday, thus raising the gap even more.

Oh and it tooks 6 years to achieve what the PS2 did in 11 years. Now you can argue about portable console vs. home console but please stop denying about the numbers.

It's a handheld, so I'm not surprised by the faster pace.  As for the numbers, it's undertracked by millions, they've stated they just don't know where to put the sales.

Christian973 said:
axumblade said:
I think the holiday will definitely boost the 3DS sales. I mean, the remakes are great but you can only do so much with nostalgia in terms of sales. With Super Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7 coming out, I'm sure that the 3DS will dominate this holiday season.

Yea but Nintendo is doomed.

Isn't that a little misleading when the console needed a 70 dollar price cut so early to even compete?