By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after the NPD, is the 3DS doomed again?

daveJ said:
Whats with the its gone up 300% since the pricecut, sounds good until you realize its sales were an embarassment before the pricecut.
Face it like I predicted its doomed outside of Japan, I dont think the vita is going to do much better either

I could say that about any console, how well would the ps3 and 360 be doing if they were still 499.99 or 399.99? Its selling well, without games, get over it.

Around the Network
Christian973 said:

Oh, come on. Nintendo will never go third-party.

It will go fourth-party and break dimensions...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Mummelmann said:
If this gen has taught us anything, it should be that consoles can gain a lot of steam later on, a slow start might not mean anything at all.
Then again, I'm unsure of the future of handheld gaming and the role tablets and smartphones will have in it so this is hard to say.
But, no matter what happens, the 3DS is more than likely not "doomed" or "d0med" or anything of the sort. The only thing I can say for certain right now is that it is extremely unlikely to come anywhere near the DS' sales in its lifetime.

"The only thing I can say for certain right now is that it is extremely unlikely to come anywhere near the DS' sales in its lifetime." ..

you say this like as if any other console can come close to the DS lifetime sales in the future...

BluGamer23 said:
Mummelmann said:
If this gen has taught us anything, it should be that consoles can gain a lot of steam later on, a slow start might not mean anything at all.
Then again, I'm unsure of the future of handheld gaming and the role tablets and smartphones will have in it so this is hard to say.
But, no matter what happens, the 3DS is more than likely not "doomed" or "d0med" or anything of the sort. The only thing I can say for certain right now is that it is extremely unlikely to come anywhere near the DS' sales in its lifetime.

"The only thing I can say for certain right now is that it is extremely unlikely to come anywhere near the DS' sales in its lifetime." ..

you say this like as if any other console can come close to the DS lifetime sales in the future...

You're going to have to elaborate there. How am I implying that other consoles will? You think that I believe that the Vita, PS3, 360 or Wii will come close to DS numbers?

"Tyson Gay is extremely unlikely to beat Usain Bolt at the 100 meters final in the 2012 London Olympic Games." Does that sentence imply that some other sprinter will beat him or be close to beating him?

I'm sorry if this comes off as a tad obsessive but I really want to know how you read that into my post.

So basically, before the price cut, rational people said

"The price cut will have a short term increase, but wait for the big holiday games for the main event"

We say a huge short term effect from the price cut, which is now starting to die off. We still haven't seen the holiday games.

3DS is doing absolutely fine

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
BluGamer23 said:
Mummelmann said:

You're going to have to elaborate there. How am I implying that other consoles will? You think that I believe that the Vita, PS3, 360 or Wii will come close to DS numbers?

"Tyson Gay is extremely unlikely to beat Usain Bolt at the 100 meters final in the 2012 London Olympic Games." Does that sentence imply that some other sprinter will beat him or be close to beating him?

I'm sorry if this comes off as a tad obsessive but I really want to know how you read that into my post.

"You're going to have to elaborate there. How am I implying that other consoles will? You think that I believe that the Vita, PS3, 360 or Wii will come close to DS numbers?"

err no your implying that it is a bad thing that the 3DS wont get close to the DS sales.. just for the sake of putting a negative spin to  your post!..

well.. just like saying well the vita will never come close to the DS sales... does it need to even be said?.. just for the sake of putting a negative spin to it see?   everyone knows nothing at this point can come close to the DS sales.. why bother saying it.. unless your implying something else would..

BluGamer23 said:

err no your implying that it is a bad thing that the 3DS wont get close to the DS sales.. just for the sake of putting a negative spin to  your post!..

well.. just like saying well the vita will never come close to the DS sales... does it need to even be said?.. just for the sake of putting a negative spin to it see?   everyone knows nothing at this point can come close to the DS sales.. why bother saying it.. unless your implying something else would..

You know, sometimes "sorry about that" just works better.

OT: 1) No, it's not doomed. 2) It's pointless to compare it to first year DS sales, as the DS didn't sell fantastically in its first year either. 3) Anyone else waiting for the smartphone/tablet-gaming bubble to burst?

BluGamer23 said:
Mummelmann said:
BluGamer23 said:
Mummelmann said:

"You're going to have to elaborate there. How am I implying that other consoles will? You think that I believe that the Vita, PS3, 360 or Wii will come close to DS numbers?"

I honestly believe that you are the only person in this thread who sees this negative spin in my post. If anything, I wrote the post to disarm the fallacy of thinking the 3DS "doomed". Constructing strawmen does nothing to improve your argument and you're simply misinterpreting my whole point for the sake of stirring things up a little. I've been in here for too long to fall for it and I realize that further discussion is fruitless.

atma998 said:
Since when selling at the same pace as the best selling console of all time is considered doomed?

The 3DS isn't even in the same ballpark as the PS2.

Japan 33 weeks: 3,257,233

Americas 28 weeks: 2,903,220

EMEAA 29 weeks: 2,274,215

Total: 8,434,668  Granted that includes a holiday, but it was also supply constrained and didn't receive a huge pricecut.

In the same time, the 3DS is at 5,721,774.  Of course that is slightly overtracked in the US for August and substantially overtracked in September.  We'll see pretty soon what Nintendo's numbers are for Europe.

But I guess you were probably talking about the DS...

Japan 33 weeks: 2,568,872

Americas: 28 weeks: 2,090,682

EMEAA 29 weeks: 1,395,289

Total: 6,054,843  Still quite a bit ahead, but the gap should be closed fairly soon.  The real test is if it can still sell on par while the DS was actually selling huge numbers.  Doing 20-30 million a year, year after year.

Areym said:

The longer they take on those hardware moving games like Mario world and mario kart, They are just giving Vita the chance to catch up, especially in Japan.

Monster Hunter 3G is pointless right?, I get it now.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.