By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after the NPD, is the 3DS doomed again?

no its not doomed at all, when the sales come in this holiday season, that will do all the talking the 3ds needs. :)

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network
atma998 said:

So why wasting your time on this site if you don't believe their numbers? lol All these ''PS2 is undertracked on VGC'' makes me laugh.

Reality is DS outsold PS2 LTD and it tooks less than 6 years to do so. So in the end, yes, DS is the best selling console of all time, like it or not.

It's still one of the better places to discuss sales, and they usually get the numbers right eventually.  Usually...

I guess in your reality, the DS had sold 100k more in the Americas last quarter than it had shipped.  After all, VGC said it so it must be true.  Also about 735 million units of PS2 software are still on store shelves because VGC hasn't tracked them.  It's just kind of funny.  The DS should probably get the record eventually.  I don't see why you need to use blatantly incorrect numbers unless you're worried the DS won't ever manage to beat the PS2.

thismeintiel said:

What I find troubling for the 3DS is that Mario Land 3D, according to the Japan Preview, has only ~50,000 preorders in Japan. It releases in like 2 weeks. I would have thought that just about everyone who owns a 3DS (plus those who are purchasing a 3DS for ML 3D), especially in Japan, would be preordering it. I wonder if the upcoming Vita launch is stealing some of the enthusiasm people had for the 3DS.

They had 1,200 people lining outside the Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara by 7:00 am to preorder it.

NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

Isn't that a little misleading when the console needed a 70 dollar price cut so early to even compete

?

There's no competition right now for 3DS. Vita is not released, and PSP still sells below DS (which has the succesor out there).

Right not competition.  But Nintendo was obviously not pleased with the sales for such a massive price cut.  It was putting up poor numbers.  His picture makes it seem like 3DS has done better than it has, it couldn't even come close to "best selling" if it wasn't for the cut.

By your post, then the Vita is pretty much fucked in the west since it's $249.99 + tax + memory card+ 40 - 50 dollar games + tax.

The Vita system is actually worth 250, which 3DS was not.  If you don't agree, this argument will go nowhere.

It doesn't matter if the hardware is worth it or not but Vita, as of right now with all the things i listed, costs over 350 dollars. More than a PS3. That is NOT a mass market price in this economy that we live in. 3DS proved that high priced dedicated gaming devices just won't sell no matter what the hardware is.Especially now with iTouches and iPhones.

The only thing the 3DS proved is how to have a failure of a launch.  Just because the 3DS had a miserable launch, doesn't mean one can't succeed with a good launch.

I believe you are talking about the PSP Go here.. it proved how to have a failure of a launch.. and no amount of price drop and freebies could have saved it.. it failed .. long gone and good bye!... so thats a better example!

Pavolink said:
Solid-Stark said:
Can we let the 3DS have it's first holiday season, let alone a year before we doom it?

No. It must be doomed now.

I agree! it must be doomed now!..

...doomed to succeed!

Around the Network
atma998 said:
NYANKS said:
atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

And it pisses me off to see there are still people in total denial, thinking PS2 is #1. DS is actually 5 million over PS2 LTD and we are talking about unit sold to consumers not retailers. Even if the PS2 is undertracked, I don't think it is that much. Also DS is still selling quite good and will have another good holiday, thus raising the gap even more.

Oh and it tooks 6 years to achieve what the PS2 did in 11 years. Now you can argue about portable console vs. home console but please stop denying about the numbers.

The only one in denial is you.  Just because VGC doesn't care about numbers that aren't on the front page doesn't mean the PS2 numbers are accurate.  There aren't ~9 million PS2s on store shelves while the DS has less than 700k on shelves.  Last quarter, the PS2 shipped 1.4 million and the DS shipped 1.44 million.  Yet VGC sales were 545,324 for the PS2 and 1,636,180 for the DS.

You obviously don't have much faith in the DS actually beating the PS2 if you have to rely on such incredibly inaccurate numbers.  This is the same site that before adjustments had only 225k DS systems on shelves at the end of last quarter, and 74k more Wiis sold to consumers than had been shipped to retailers.

So why wasting your time on this site if you don't believe their numbers? lol All these ''PS2 is undertracked on VGC'' makes me laugh.

Reality is DS outsold PS2 LTD and it tooks less than 6 years to do so. So in the end, yes, DS is the best selling console of all time, like it or not.

The heads of the site even admit it.  Don't be a sheep, these numbers are off all the time, and the people who make the site admit they don't know where to put the extra numbers, so they refuse to. Lame, I know.

You act like we have a vendetta against DS.  It's gonna pass it eventually, it's just not yet.  If it was a home console it would be much more sad to me lol.

I don't see where it says PS2 LTD > DS LTD on this site, sorry. Even if there is indeed PS2 undertracking, thinking it is more than 5 million is simply absurd.

Some people here just hate to see Nintendo on top.

Right, I explained that.  You could always ask someone, it's pretty well understood.

BluGamer23 said:
Pavolink said:
Solid-Stark said:
Can we let the 3DS have it's first holiday season, let alone a year before we doom it?

...doomed to succeed!

Don't fool yourself. It's doomed. The fastest you accept, the less it would hurt.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
BluGamer23 said:
Pavolink said:
Solid-Stark said:

...doomed to succeed!

Don't fool yourself. It's doomed. The fastest you accept, the less it would hurt.

Haha you..

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

BluGamer23 said:
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

Isn't that a little misleading when the console needed a 70 dollar price cut so early to even compete

?

There's no competition right now for 3DS. Vita is not released, and PSP still sells below DS (which has the succesor out there).

Right not competition.  But Nintendo was obviously not pleased with the sales for such a massive price cut.  It was putting up poor numbers.  His picture makes it seem like 3DS has done better than it has, it couldn't even come close to "best selling" if it wasn't for the cut.

By your post, then the Vita is pretty much fucked in the west since it's $249.99 + tax + memory card+ 40 - 50 dollar games + tax.

The Vita system is actually worth 250, which 3DS was not.  If you don't agree, this argument will go nowhere.

It doesn't matter if the hardware is worth it or not but Vita, as of right now with all the things i listed, costs over 350 dollars. More than a PS3. That is NOT a mass market price in this economy that we live in. 3DS proved that high priced dedicated gaming devices just won't sell no matter what the hardware is.Especially now with iTouches and iPhones.

The only thing the 3DS proved is how to have a failure of a launch.  Just because the 3DS had a miserable launch, doesn't mean one can't succeed with a good launch.

I believe you are talking about the PSP Go here.. it proved how to have a failure of a launch.. and no amount of price drop and freebies could have saved it.. it failed .. long gone and good bye!... so thats a better example!

Boom! Headshot!

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

It's still one of the better places to discuss sales, and they usually get the numbers right eventually.  Usually...

I guess in your reality, the DS had sold 100k more in the Americas last quarter than it had shipped.  After all, VGC said it so it must be true.  Also about 735 million units of PS2 software are still on store shelves because VGC hasn't tracked them.  It's just kind of funny.  The DS should probably get the record eventually.  I don't see why you need to use blatantly incorrect numbers unless you're worried the DS won't ever manage to beat the PS2.

No one spoke about software here cause we all know software are not all tracked contrary to hardware. Also lol about being worried DS won't ever beat PS2 numbers, I don't see how it can happens unless the DS has negative sales from now on...

Like I said before, some people here just hate to see Nintendo on top.