By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Battlefield 3 losing Preorders??

pezus said:
Most of you are forgetting what a beta is...jeez

A CLOSED Beta can have issues with graphics, glitches, need for gameplay tweaks, etc... However, an OPEN beta will function as a demo in the mind of people, and any major graphics glitches and so on, and NOT using the most recent update of the game engine that is stable and works, will end up going against the title.  An open beta should be used for play balance only, and maybe to do stress testing of network code.

Around the Network

though I enjoyed playing the beta....that shit was an absolute bug/glitch fest

Dodece said:
@Zarx

You made a lot of excuses, but you made no real argument. You can shift the blame to Electronic Arts if you like, but I know
for a fact that Betas can be done on consoles, and they can be done well. You can have a reasonable level of polish, and you can get something accomplished. Others have managed to do this in the past. The reality is this a late stage Beta should have a great deal of polish, and it should be a good tool for balance testing. This was simply neither, and it shouldn't matter whether the build is two weeks old or three months old.

This rush to launch the game is obviously coming at the expense of quality, and that kind of thinking is why players were given a grotesque Beta. One that was neither polished, or a fundamentally good tool for testing. Your argument for some strange sense of entitlement ignores a fundamental truth. The deadlines are self imposed, and entirely arbitrary. They aren't being forced into releasing a game at a time they do not want. They are the ones who decided upon their own time table. So they have all the time in the world to do it right.

I do not need to read twitter to know when something is wrong. They can belly ache about how hard their jobs are, and you know what that isn't my damned problem. I am not going to feel sorry for them. They decided to have a shitty public Beta, and you cannot argue that they shouldn't be judged on the merit of what they showed. Why should anyone expect greatness from a game when the Beta a month prior to launch was incredibly bug ridden, and had glaring omissions.

This should have been a positive and productive experience. Instead it was exactly the opposite, and nobody was forced into doing this. They did this to themselves, and in doing so created a stigma among players. If they do not like that then they can delay the game, and run a better public Beta to show that they are in fact serious about producing a quality game.

You are missing the point what was released was a real beta as in not a polished multiplayer demo with maybe a few balance issues. Real beta are never polished in software development Beta means feature complete but unpolished if it was polished it wouldn't be a beta but final code. 

Having said that it should never have been released to the genearal public at this stage and DIce clearly were not ready for a public multiplayer demo when the "beta" deadline was hit. You and argue that the release date is self imposed and I would agree with you,  but that is not how EA sees it they have locked 200 million in advertising budget into the time frame and they want to beat MW3 to market. And to do that they have to rush the game and so they didn't have time to polish up a multiplayer demo a month and a half ago so they released a real beta. There is a chance that Dice may be able to pull together a solid game, it seems like they have payed to ramp up production very fast on the game so they don't have to go gold until far after most games would.

And when did they belly ache about how hard their jobs are? All I said was that people have been constantly asking for the beta for months to counter your, developers owe the people playing the beta comment as this open beta (at least on consoles, the PC version served the perpuse of testing a 64 player map but that wasn't fully open to the public) is for the fans not the developer and even then it's only happening because EA promised a open beta and MoH buyers early access.

And I think the developers should be judged on what they delivered A BETA! Not a multiplayer demo. I have been vocal in my criticisims of the beta but I still see it as a beta not a multiplayer demo like most people including you seem think it is. And the fact they are not treating it like a beta is because the beta already happened.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Well thanks to this thread I'm not even gonna waste time playing it. I just deleted it actually...

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Goddbless said:
Well thanks to this thread I'm not even gonna waste time playing it. I just deleted it actually...

you could have given it a try aftr you already DL it

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
pezus said:

Yeah but there is a fine line.

An open Beta is usually more for advertising and tweaking minor things. But Battlefield 3 is ridiculously buggy.

If they would have made it a closed beta things would have faired much better IMO.

Well when you release a beta with a map thats kind of call of duty esque and and doesn't have much of the things that makes battlefield battlefield...thats understandable. The map barely has anything thats destructible, no vehicles...it's kind of small even by battlefield standards...its a piece of dogsh*t..if people play that beta and they have never played battlefield before they won't be able to tell difference between that and cod. Now for those who are playing the beta on the pc at least they get the caspian border map which has all the vehicles and destructible environments

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

pezus said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:

An open Beta is usually more for advertising and tweaking minor things. But Battlefield 3 is ridiculously buggy.

If they would have made it a closed beta things would have faired much better IMO.

I haven't noticed that many bugs that can't be fixed before release in the PC version...maybe this is only the console version that sucks? If so, I don't know what you all are so surprised about. They have practically come out and said the PC version will be the best version by far.

Everyone knows the PC version will be the best, but that wasn't really the point. The console versions are inexcusably buggy even for a beta.

pezus said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:

I haven't noticed that many bugs that can't be fixed before release in the PC version...maybe this is only the console version that sucks? If so, I don't know what you all are so surprised about. They have practically come out and said the PC version will be the best version by far.

Everyone knows the PC version will be the best, but that wasn't really the point. The console versions are inexcusably buggy even for a beta.

Because we're used to betas that aren't betas but demos. Besides, they said this was an old build.

What was their logic for using an old build?

I preordered it yesterday. Maybe I should cancel mine too.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius