By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - THQ on WiiU: ''much more powerful than the other HD consoles''

HappySqurriel said:
oniyide said:
No this thing will not sell for 300 bucks, i want what you guys are smoking, the damn tablet itself is gonna be an expensive SOB, and if we believe that it truly is going to be that much more powerful than PS3, then that adds even more expense. And this is freaking Ninty, they sell console at a profit. Im thinking 400 minimum, maybe even 5. The only way that it would be 300 is if they are selling at a loss or the system is not as powerful as some are saying. IMHO im expecting a modest update, like PS2 2 GC or even PS2 2 Xbox. I seriously doubt Ninty will do a Wii 2 PS360 in terms of power difference

Being that cheap Chinese manufactured LCD ebook and media players with a similar size and resolution display were selling with a MSRP of (around) $100 last Christmas, and (at worst) you could say that the components it doesn't have that the Wii U controller would need would be roughly the same cost as the components these devices have that the Wii U controller doesn't need. With this in mind, why would the Wii U controller be prohibitively expensive when the Wii U launches some-time next year?

To be clear, I'm not trying to imply that the Wii U controller would be as cheap as a conventional controller, but I also don't see why it would be $50 more expensive to manufacture than the Wiimote and Nunchuck; and (therefore) why it would require the Wii U to sell for more than $300.

fair enough, still do not see it costing as low as 300? Im sure the tablet utself will cost 80 or more if we want to buy it seperate

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
oniyide said:
No this thing will not sell for 300 bucks, i want what you guys are smoking, the damn tablet itself is gonna be an expensive SOB, and if we believe that it truly is going to be that much more powerful than PS3, then that adds even more expense. And this is freaking Ninty, they sell console at a profit. Im thinking 400 minimum, maybe even 5. The only way that it would be 300 is if they are selling at a loss or the system is not as powerful as some are saying. IMHO im expecting a modest update, like PS2 2 GC or even PS2 2 Xbox. I seriously doubt Ninty will do a Wii 2 PS360 in terms of power difference

Being that cheap Chinese manufactured LCD ebook and media players with a similar size and resolution display were selling with a MSRP of (around) $100 last Christmas, and (at worst) you could say that the components it doesn't have that the Wii U controller would need would be roughly the same cost as the components these devices have that the Wii U controller doesn't need. With this in mind, why would the Wii U controller be prohibitively expensive when the Wii U launches some-time next year?

To be clear, I'm not trying to imply that the Wii U controller would be as cheap as a conventional controller, but I also don't see why it would be $50 more expensive to manufacture than the Wiimote and Nunchuck; and (therefore) why it would require the Wii U to sell for more than $300.

I completely agree.

By the time Wii U launches, the PS3 will be able to sell at $199 without a loss.  Wii U may have an elaborate controller, but it's not a blu-ray player.

Even if it's sold at a minor loss (very minor, if at all), I can't imagine they'd price it at more than $300, particularly after the 3DS price debacle.

I was really hoping we'd see something this year on Wii U... but now that we're past TGS and onto the holiday season, it's looking more and more like we won't see anything until next year's GDC or even E3...

*Sigh* I need to know moar! MOAR! :P

archbrix said:
HappySqurriel said:
oniyide said:
No this thing will not sell for 300 bucks, i want what you guys are smoking, the damn tablet itself is gonna be an expensive SOB, and if we believe that it truly is going to be that much more powerful than PS3, then that adds even more expense. *1)And this is freaking Ninty, they sell console at a profit. Im thinking 400 minimum, maybe even 5. The only way that it would be 300 is if they are selling at a loss or the system *2) is not as powerful as some are saying. IMHO im expecting a modest update, like PS2 2 GC or even PS2 2 Xbox. I seriously doubt Ninty will do a Wii 2 PS360 in terms of power difference

I completely agree.

By the time Wii U launches, the PS3 will be able to sell at $199 without a loss.  Wii U may have an elaborate controller, but it's not a blu-ray player.

Even if it's sold at a minor loss (very minor, if at all), I can't imagine they'd price it at more than $300, particularly after the 3DS price debacle.

1.  3DS says hello!!! (though with ~$100 to manufacture it may not be losing money)
2.  POWER7 CPU and ATI R770 GPU says otherwise; so mosdef this is gonna be a beast!!!  THQ even went so far as saying it'll be like Blu-Ray vs DVD.

If anything the PS4 will be following Nintendo's lead with the Wii by having it focus on gameplay and would not be significantly more powerful than the PS3.

link:

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/9316.html

Lets start taking bets now. I say 400 minimum

Around the Network

So does that mean that we'll get a Deadly Creatures sequel?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

oni-link said:
z101 said:
Araknie said:
I don't think that Nintendo will make this cost more than 300$, if they have learned from the 3DS...i hope so.

ATI at the E3 as said that the WiiU was going to be 50% more powerful than PS3.

ATI never said that. An anonymous developer with the first WiiU-Kits said it was at least 50% more powerful than PS3, but the first WiiU-Kits were dramatically underpowered contrary to the current ones.

LOL...yeah ATI never said anything like that lol...somebody be drinking SDF kool aide!!! (my opinion)

Damn anonymous developer, why you make me think of ATI? XD

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

I don't expect much difference between the ps3/360 and Wii U versions, except for the tablet support and better frame rates. The later will be implemented only because it will not cost anything to the developer. Still, considering TV sets are bounded to 1080p and 60 fps and textures are limited to the size of the memory, I think the Wii U will hold its ground nicely against the next consoles by Sony and Microsoft. Just look at the best looking PC games of the moment. The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 looks much better at the PC but not fundamentally different from their console counterparts.

amp316 said:
So does that mean that we'll get a Deadly Creatures sequel?

Day one. And if it doesn't sell, nothing else could be hardcore enough to sell, and the console shall be officially barren.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'm wondering if we'll ever get an F-Zero game on that beast and if it does, it'll be light-years (and I mean distance) off the bloody hook compared to the GC version! :D

Seriously, if this starts off at $400, it'll kill me!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!