By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - THQ on WiiU: ''much more powerful than the other HD consoles''

x_DMX_x said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

for me, it important that the WiiU has nearly or the same if possible, power to Ps4/Xbox720

since Nintendo wants some hardcore and 3rd parties, too (like with the 3DS), it depends heavily on how the graphics of the WiiU compare to Sony's and MS's next home consoles, so that we don't havethe ''Ps3/Xbox360 games'' or ''Wii exclusives'' we are having this gen

Xbox360/Ps3 games made currently for WiiU are just for launch/start, It's common sense that they have to look better on WiiU, but it's future depends on how it holds up to it's competitors (which are not Xbox360 and Ps3)

this interview gives some hope, unlike the god knows if true, rumors about faulty WiiU hardware that developers couldn't work on

Nintendo always has the better 1st party games, but lacks online and graphics, hope WiiU is a step forward on online and graphics, and that the gap is smaller

I doubt the Wii U will have better graphics than the PS3.FACT:Killzone 3 is the best looking game on consoles ive never seen anything better then Killzone 3 on consoles.Plus if Nintendo or Microsoft wanted to have more disc space(Blu-Ray) they would have to pay Sony and I think Panasonic since they invented Blu-Ray.

Wii doesn't use DVDs in the same way that Wii U will not use Blu-Ray. No money will have to be paid, but the performance will be the same disc-wise

RAM limitations alone will allow the Wii U to surpass what the PS360 can do

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
x_DMX_x said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

for me, it important that the WiiU has nearly or the same if possible, power to Ps4/Xbox720

since Nintendo wants some hardcore and 3rd parties, too (like with the 3DS), it depends heavily on how the graphics of the WiiU compare to Sony's and MS's next home consoles, so that we don't havethe ''Ps3/Xbox360 games'' or ''Wii exclusives'' we are having this gen

Xbox360/Ps3 games made currently for WiiU are just for launch/start, It's common sense that they have to look better on WiiU, but it's future depends on how it holds up to it's competitors (which are not Xbox360 and Ps3)

this interview gives some hope, unlike the god knows if true, rumors about faulty WiiU hardware that developers couldn't work on

Nintendo always has the better 1st party games, but lacks online and graphics, hope WiiU is a step forward on online and graphics, and that the gap is smaller

I doubt the Wii U will have better graphics than the PS3.FACT:Killzone 3 is the best looking game on consoles ive never seen anything better then Killzone 3 on consoles.Plus if Nintendo or Microsoft wanted to have more disc space(Blu-Ray) they would have to pay Sony and I think Panasonic since they invented Blu-Ray.

... or Nintendo could choose a HD-DVD based format, or CBHD based format, or one of the countless proposed formats that was unsuccessful at becomming the standard.

One thing people don't seem to understand about how Blu-Ray is that the "invention" of a format like this is primarily the assembling of a collection of technologies through licencing agreements with their patent holders; and the majority of these technologies are not owned by Sony and/or there is a lot of competing technologies to choose from.

x_DMX_x said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

You don't seem to have a grasp of the facts. The WiiU has a more powerful CPU, GPU, at least 3 times the RAM. I'm curious as to how you have come to such a conclusion.

Darc Requiem said:
x_DMX_x said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

You don't seem to have a grasp of the facts. The WiiU has a more powerful CPU, GPU, at least 3 times the RAM. I'm curious as to how you have come to such a conclusion.

He believes the Sony commercials.

well, it's expected for Wii U to be better than the HD consoles of now; although, i wonder how loosely is he using the word "much" and/or "more"

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Anyone that has seen the basic specs of the WiiU knows that it runs circles around the 360 and PS3.

@Gamerace

The WiiU is the first next generation console. So when the Next Xbox and PS4 launch, the WiiU will have the largest userbase. Whether or not MS and Sony can build their next gen userbases fast enough will determine a great deal about how things will play out. There are too many unknowns at this point.

I don't see it that way.   I said it before - Wii U is still this generation Part 2 for Nintendo (as Move/Kinect was for Sony/MS but in the reverse direction).  Nor is it powerful enough or different enough that it'll force MS/Sony to come out with new consoles.  It'll be playing all the same frigging (3rd party) games!!   Maybe in true 1080p but really, who cares?  The second screen is a novelty but not a game changer.     The only thing that'll prompt Sony/MS to change consoles is the fact they've reach market saturation.

Hm another anonymous Interview? Could be all true but could be a fake either.

On the other hand, even Crytek said that the technical specifikations of the Wii U are "very good".

archbrix said:
Cheebee said:
I can't even begin to imagine what the Mario Galaxy team could pull off on WiiU...

Oh yeah!  And Retro with a new Metroid Prime?  I can only imagine.

Not to mention Zelda, which will surely trump even the E3 demo.

While I'd love a new Metroid by Retro, I think they have moved on. We can expect a new Donkey Kong, Eternal Darkness or something else, but I doubt we'll see a  new Metroid by Retro.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Mr Khan said:
osamanobama said:
Mr Khan said:
osamanobama said:
Wii U still needs a "real" controller if the want ps360 players to jump ship.
they need one with and ergonomic design, dual-analogs, and click-able analog sticks.
they still dont have this.
i just cant see many genres, like FPS's being very practical with the giant tablet controller (which has those non clickable slider pads like psp and 3DS)

If 3rd parties aren't incredibly stupid, they'll use the superior FPS setup that's already available for the Wii U without the tablet. Pointer sensitivity and all

But of course 3rd parties are incredibly stupid, so it's a moot point

well if you are talking about the wiimote and nunchuck.

well those still cant perfectly replicate most modern control schemes and functionality for FPS's.

for example, it still doesnt have a clickable stick.

also the d-pad is own the motion controller and not the nunchuck, making the button placement less than ideal. and also therefore making the other buttons hardly easily accessable. there are many buttons on the wiimote that either cant be reached are are hard to, while holding it verticly.

so no matter what, it seems that more ideal contoller input is on the ps3 and xbox. and obviously the ps3 has the move which is nearly the same and the wiimote but has clickable analog stick, and all buttons are easily accessible

I didn't even know there *were* clickable thumbsticks, anywhere, until people started complaining about them not being on the Wii U. Still only vaguely sure of how they work

And what does the d-pad being opposite from the analogue have to do with anything?

You use the clickable sticks for various things but the most common is to differentiate between sprinting and standard movement. So for example you click the stick and push forwards to run. Personally, I've always found this to be incredibly impractical and uncomfortable, and it's one of my many, many reasons for hating most DA fps games, but I'm sure others will disagree.

That said, I've yet to understand why they don't use the far simpler method of pushing slightly forwards to walk, and all the way forwards to run, which is how quite a few Nintendo games work (the 3D Mario games immediately spring to mind).

VGChartz

freebs2 said:
Last_Dream said:
I think when the first time WiiU come, it will flood with port of PS360 games, with the same quality or maybe lower graphic quality. Like PS3 at first, we didn't see any games with better graphic on PS3 than X360. If WiiU pick-up, I think developer will starting to make WiiU the definitive version and then port to another console.

This makes sense. I don't want to be optimistic, but there is a difference to consider in this case. The Cell processor have a very complicate and different architecture (compared to PCs and X360), so it was only natural developers needed some time to get accostumed to it. The WiiU architecture (according to the developers feedbacks) it's made to be as easy as possible to work with.

I know. But I still think in the PS3 case is just an excuse for developer. They just don't do that more because there is not enough install base for PS3 at that time. I think if PS3 pick-up like how Wii start before, they will overcome how hard the SDK. And yes, of course, the fact that it is harder to develop in PS3 than other is still the resason.

In this WiiU case, it costly effective to develop one game with the same asset in all console than they first made the hi-res one then convert to lower-res for another platform.