By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - THQ on WiiU: ''much more powerful than the other HD consoles''

HappySqurriel said:
padib said:

True, the hardware metric is flawed to a high degree (non-negligeable).

But the cool thing about the COD metric as compared to the HW metric is that you'll find it very rare that a person owns it on both the 360 and on the PS3 :D They might own in on Wii and one HD twin, but even that's unlikely, right? Even if it happened the percentage would be so low I suspect it to be completely negligeable.

The other cool thing about the COD metric is that it really is a game that a vast majority of the core owns (no matter the platform), and very few casuals owns (from what we understand at least).

What do you think?

I find this argument a little odd because it wasn't that long ago that the frat-boy gamer who makes up the bulk of the COD franchise sales was considered the "Casual Gamer" who should be derided ...

The core problem with all simple metrics trying to determine how large of a "core" audience there is on a platform is there has been massive growth in the number of multi-console households over the past generation. While I could be wrong, I suspect that the typical household with a videogame system probably has 2 or more current generation systems and the Wii is probably in the vast majority of those households. This created an odd situation where, because the core games released to the Wii were mediocre and gamers interested in those types of games would choose to play them on the HD consoles, developers were able to justify producing mediocre Wii games because their sales were better on the HD consoles.

Being that the Wii U is the first to market, Nintendo has an opportunity to start things out differently by establishing strong "core" game sales before their competition is on the market; and this will put the challenge on Sony and Microsoft to produce a compelling alternative to justify buying their system instead of or alongside the Wii U. There is always the possiblity that Sony and Microsoft will focus on hardware performance, but this could become a negative if developers don't want to deal with the added development costs of targeting these systems; and Sony/Microsoft could have to justify a higher price-tag with no visual improvements over their competition.

I would definitely agree with this. COD appeals to the type of gamer who buys annual update franchises every single year, such as COD itself and FIFA/Madden depending on nationality. They wouldn't play a game like NMH no matter the console in a million years.

It's also got big appeal amongst 12 year olds, given how much squeaky voiced profanity and racial stereotyping I heard in my admittedly brief foray into COD multiplayer.

VGChartz

Around the Network
gixxaclown said:
well i like how there has been a statment released concerning the darksiders 2 for the wiiU , it will not simply be a port but a full reworked buffed up version for the wiiU, this puts the ps360 fanboys wiiU game port theory out the window

really?? because one company said that, you think the rest is gonna be the same?? Wait and see

HappySqurriel said:
padib said:

True, the hardware metric is flawed to a high degree (non-negligeable).

But the cool thing about the COD metric as compared to the HW metric is that you'll find it very rare that a person owns it on both the 360 and on the PS3 :D They might own in on Wii and one HD twin, but even that's unlikely, right? Even if it happened the percentage would be so low I suspect it to be completely negligeable.

The other cool thing about the COD metric is that it really is a game that a vast majority of the core owns (no matter the platform), and very few casuals owns (from what we understand at least).

What do you think?

I find this argument a little odd because it wasn't that long ago that the frat-boy gamer who makes up the bulk of the COD franchise sales was considered the "Casual Gamer" who should be derided ...

The core problem with all simple metrics trying to determine how large of a "core" audience there is on a platform is there has been massive growth in the number of multi-console households over the past generation. While I could be wrong, I suspect that the typical household with a videogame system probably has 2 or more current generation systems and the Wii is probably in the vast majority of those households. This created an odd situation where, because the core games released to the Wii were mediocre and gamers interested in those types of games would choose to play them on the HD consoles, developers were able to justify producing mediocre Wii games because their sales were better on the HD consoles.

Being that the Wii U is the first to market, Nintendo has an opportunity to start things out differently by establishing strong "core" game sales before their competition is on the market; and this will put the challenge on Sony and Microsoft to produce a compelling alternative to justify buying their system instead of or alongside the Wii U. There is always the possiblity that Sony and Microsoft will focus on hardware performance, but this could become a negative if developers don't want to deal with the added development costs of targeting these systems; and Sony/Microsoft could have to justify a higher price-tag with no visual improvements over their competition.

true, but we dont have to use COD, there is PoP, Driver, NFS series, hell if your game isnt musical, exercise or kid friendly its going to sell better on HDs. 
come on man, there were a few games that were good on Wii and the HD version still outsold it. SW, Spider-man, Prince of Persia. You cant blame devs for having to work with a system that has so much less power than the HDs. The HD versions will be better 90 percent of the time because it has just that much more to work with, no matter how well the Wii one is made

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
HappySqurriel said:

This created an odd situation where, because the core games released to the Wii were mediocre and gamers interested in those types of games would choose to play them on the HD consoles, developers were able to justify producing mediocre Wii games because their sales were better on the HD consoles.

true, but we dont have to use COD, there is PoP, Driver, NFS series, hell if your game isnt musical, exercise or kid friendly its going to sell better on HDs. 
come on man, there were a few games that were good on Wii and the HD version still outsold it. SW, Spider-man, Prince of Persia. You cant blame devs for having to work with a system that has so much less power than the HDs. The HD versions will be better 90 percent of the time because it has just that much more to work with, no matter how well the Wii one is made

There's a difference between "better" and "vastly superior". The music, exercise and kid friendly multiplatform games are at best marginally better on the HD consoles. There is no significant difference, so you are good to go with any platform. That's why these genres perform well on the Wii, because they aren't second or third rate products.

When it comes to other genres you are usually looking at massive differences between the Wii and HD versions. NfS which you mentioned isn't just a worse looking game on the Wii, it's entirely different and was outsourced to some crappy developer. And this isn't by far the only example. The general rule is that the HD versions have the top developers working on them while the Wii version is made by a second string studio, if not worse. Sure, most games would be better on the HD consoles by default (due to graphics), but not vastly superior like it has been the case this entire generation. And since these games are targeted at the core customers (the people who are informed), the Wii versions flop left and right, because they fail to reach the treshold of being good enough.

Your three examples of Wii games that were better than the HD versions aren't especially good, because no version of the game was really worth buying at the recommended retail price to begin with. Well, perhaps you bought all three of them. Although if I had to take a guess, I would answer "no" on all three.

Lego games usually tend to sell much better on the Wii than it's HD counterpart as well.  There are a few other genres that do better on the Wii but that should belong to a diffrent thread don't cha think?

oni-link said:
RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
HappySqurriel said:

This created an odd situation where, because the core games released to the Wii were mediocre and gamers interested in those types of games would choose to play them on the HD consoles, developers were able to justify producing mediocre Wii games because their sales were better on the HD consoles.

There's a difference between "better" and "vastly superior". The music, exercise and kid friendly multiplatform games are at best marginally better on the HD consoles. There is no significant difference, so you are good to go with any platform. That's why these genres perform well on the Wii, because they aren't second or third rate products.

When it comes to other genres you are usually looking at massive differences between the Wii and HD versions. NfS which you mentioned isn't just a worse looking game on the Wii, it's entirely different and was outsourced to some crappy developer. And this isn't by far the only example. The general rule is that the HD versions have the top developers working on them while the Wii version is made by a second string studio, if not worse. Sure, most games would be better on the HD consoles by default (due to graphics), but not vastly superior like it has been the case this entire generation. And since these games are targeted at the core customers (the people who are informed), the Wii versions flop left and right, because they fail to reach the treshold of being good enough.

Your three examples of Wii games that were better than the HD versions aren't especially good, because no version of the game was really worth buying at the recommended retail price to begin with. Well, perhaps you bought all three of them. Although if I had to take a guess, I would answer "no" on all three.

Lego games usually tend to sell much better on the Wii than it's HD counterpart as well.  There are a few other genres that do better on the Wii but that should belong to a diffrent thread don't cha think?

Lego was what i was talking about in terms of family friendly games, it doesnt get any more inoffenisve as Legos (good games BTW). ANd yes that is another thread.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
HappySqurriel said:

what you say is true, but lets not kid ourselves here, those exercise, dance and the like are way cheaper to make. Ubisoft even admitted that recently. They are games that dont require alot of power on a system that has little in the first place. Perfect match. All those other genres are much harder to produce for, money and time wise. Companies are not going to their HD teams stop doing what they are doing and essetially remake the game they are making from scratch on another system that might not even yield the same results. Its much cheaper to give the version that wont be hard to make to a lesser dev team and let them get their experience. Yeah it sucks for Wii only owners but hey. 

As for your second point, never said they were better on Wii, i said they were damn close or good in their own right, thats just going off of reviews i have read. Not a PoP fan, having played a Spidey game since Web of Shadows (ugh) and i acutually did play Force Unleashed for PS3 AND Wii and while the PS3 version was better (for reasons i wont get into right now) the Wii version was damn fun. that game sold more than a mil on just about every console it was released on.