By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII Has Shipped 6.2 Million Worldwide

Excellent, it deserves every sale. Such a well-made game.

Around the Network
Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:
This forum is filled with FFX fanboys, open your eyes people, notice the terrible story telling and the douchey characters! Such whores, only wanting flash and no substance. (And no, before any of you say something, I'm not defending FFXIII)

Doesn't look like it will outsell FFVIII, which is a shame, that abomination deserves to die. Oh well, here's to the next FF, eh?

I already won that last argument, wanna go again?

Also, FF VIII is better than XIII - and better than most other FF's and games, to boot.

You won that arguement? Lolwut, all you did was say "At least FFXIII did it worse! So I'm allowed to like my cruddy game". Man, kids these days...

If you wanna go again, just tell me ;)

@bren: FFX > FFVI > FFVIII for me. Everything else is great and changes places on occasion - only FF XIII drudges far far behind. But yeah, the ending in FFX really seals the deal there.

lol, so arrogant, didn't mature at all during the last year, eh? I guess that's just what this place does to you. As long as you don't try to twist my words this time then go right ahead.

This reminds me, I actually linked a friend to that other discussion, he asked me why I posted a video oh a hentai game in the middle of it. It took me quite a while to convince him that it was just FFX-2 and that you were just giving a woman an orgasm by massaging her.

An 18-year-old talking to me about maturity and arrogance and then trying to stuff the same irrelevant argument as he did in his last five posts on the subject, all while failing to respond to 2/3 points in the last argument? AW AW IT'S MASSAGEZ IT'S HORRIBLE! Do you have anything else besides that and calling me various things?

How funny. I don't get you at all - what do you mean by "matured in the alst year"?

Well alright then.

-How are the characters douchey? Tidus is whiny in the start, but then he reconciles with his situation and quickly matures and gets a grip. Auron is perfectly serious, fatherly, and, at times, inspiring. Lulu is cold out front, but very concerned and deep on the inside. Rikku and Wakka are there for comic relief and emphasizing racial tension in spira, they do both perfectly. Yuna is quiet and almost without presense at first, but clearly has plans of her own and is strong to embrace a rebellious spirit when needed, up to to becoming a key protagonist for the game. The only one thats kinda useless is Kimahri, but the whole company clicks really well.

-How is the story told badly? You are led by force of hand through all of it, and while the main story unfolds in front of you, you also get lots of backstory from the main chars and Maechen should you speak to him. The games' rich universe is unveiled even better in FFX-2. GIve me an example of badly - because from start to finish, it all clicks, makes sense, and depending on your taste, is enthralling. I don't remember story holes, either - a classic example of bad storytelling.

Maturity isn't all about age, sir. And I was not using that as my point, I was just saying it was something that amused me that he thought it was a hentai game. Though it does show how shameless the series is.

Only that I was gone a bit more than a year and you don't seem to have changed at all, that's basically it.

How are the characters douchey? Well how about how all of them completely ignore the threat that is Sin just to play underwater polo. Killika gets destroyed by Sin, most of the village dies and just a day later they're go "AW YEAH, LET'S IGNORE SIN AND PLAY BLITZBALL!" That's not douchey? Even after Tidus matures he's still an asshole and a total brat "this is my story", when it's definitely Yuna's story and not his. He bangs her and then walks all over her. Wakka has the "Just like happy fireworks, eh?" scene right after Rikku's home gets destroyed, despite how stupid Wakka is you cannot think that something like that is a good idea. Total douche. Rikku has no purpose in the story except for the "racial tension". Yuna is not even worth mentioning really, even though the whole story revolves around her she's a complete doormat and a very boring character. She used more as a tool to progress the story, like the five or so times she gets kidnapped.

Auron is an amazing character, I can't deny that, he carried that game alone. Quite possibly my favourite Final Fantasy character of all time. That might just be because he doesn't say much and we really don't know all that much about him, not even the spheres you find with him tell you all that much about him. Lulu is alright, she's a pretty good character. Those two are the only ones I like though.

On the story: Now I'm not sure if you're wanting examples of why it's bad from FFX or FFX-2, I could probably argue against both.

I'll just go with FFX for now though. It's not so much that it's told badly as it is a bad story that makes no sense with awful writing. For the start of the first ten hours of the game it revolves COMPLETELY around Blitzball, which is never explained. Blitzball is so impossible it's laughable, but what I have a bigger concern with is the fact that some people can just breath indefinitely under water while playing underwater polo. This is never explained and yet it really is very important to the plot, even outside of Blitzball. If Tidus, Wakka and Rikku couldn't breath under water then the game would have been over pretty early on. Why is it that they can do this? I thought these guys were meant to be humans (for the most part anyway), I'm pretty sure men can't hold their breath for that long, especially not if they're carrying around a jagged volley ball. Explain game, explain! Then there's the romance *shudder* which is all based on "The wind is nice *insert laughter*" and it is really quite important to the plot. Plotholes? How did Jecht even get to Spira? I know that Tidus got there through Sin, but that was only because Jecht didn't want him dead, I doubt that Sin would just teleport some random guy to Spira for the lulz. Hm? Since he was a dream the Fayth sent him there? One problem there, if they were able to make their "dreams" do whatever they wanted, then why didn't they just turn them into some sort of god and made the instantly kill Yu Yevon? The whole dream aspect was pretty pointless too, it really didn't serve any purpose, it was moslty there as a "See? Tidus is important to the plot!".

There is more, but I don't feel like typing out why the plot is terrible for ages, I can move on to FFX-2 if you'd wish.

How does your friend think a massage mini game in Final Fantasy X-2 is a hentai game? Also, did we play two different games because none of your points make any sense about the characters or the plot? I understand you don't like the game but maybe you should do some research or reply Final Fantasy X before you start to make assumption about the game. BTW when did Tidus bang Yuna was that in the international version of the game.

Runa216 said:

Tell you what, you get Square-Enix to finish up Final Fantasy VsXIII instead of wasting their time on XIII-2 and potentially XIII-3 and all this other garbage, and I'll stop speaking my opinion about it. 

The whole reason I complain about XIII is because, as long as people keep buying this shit and defending it, Square-Enix will keep making it, and as long as they're spending their time and money on something I feel is complete and utter shit in every way, that means they're not spending time on what could be my next favorite game.  So yes, I have a very good reason to continue to bitch and moan and whine about XIII and it's bullshit sequels and spinoffs. 

Two seperate teams buddy...Whatever resources they diverted to FFXIII and FFXIII-2 are now being put into Versus XIII as it is now in full production.

What makes you think the game would be any different? FFXIII was made by almost exactly the same people that made VII and X. Since when did emo's and open world gameplay make a game great?

Stalking threads about a game you hate, just so you can post hateful comments and piss people off is pretty sad to be honest. It's completely unnaceptable for someone who is a writer, that's probably the only reason that you have managed to avoid the ban hammer.

Bristow9091 said:
It deserves these sales... and more to be honest, this is one of my favourite Final Fantasy games, I loved every second of it, the haters are just... well, they're haters, not to mention trolls, and most of them just jumped on the bandwagon for no specific reason, maybe to look "cool" on the internet.. "Hey guys, let's all hate this game because a few people didn't like it!"... but oh well.

awww, you have so much to learn about game review...

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

brendude13 said:

Two seperate teams buddy...Whatever resources they diverted to FFXIII and FFXIII-2 are now being put into Versus XIII as it is now in full production.

What makes you think the game would be any different? FFXIII was made by almost exactly the same people that made VII and X. Since when did emo's and open world gameplay make a game great?

Stalking threads about a game you hate, just so you can post hateful comments and piss people off is pretty sad to be honest. It's completely unnaceptable for someone who is a writer, that's probably the only reason that you have managed to avoid the ban hammer.

*sighs*  I know they're two different teams, I know it's in full production blah blah blah.  But seriously, the "this is unbecoming of a writer" attitude is wearing thin.  Last I checked, it was the job of a writer to have an opinion and...I dunno, write it down?  I mean, am I perhaps missing something here?  Something that says I'm not allowed to have an opinion and if I do I'm not allowed to say it? 

I don't hate on Final Fantasy XIII to be cool or to sound hip, I hate on it because it's a bad game with great production values.  it follows practically every path I hate in games, and all my analysis of it comes up short.  Great graphics and sound (though I still hated both), but the plot, characters, and gameplay were shallow and poorly done.  I know damn well that the team can do magic, and I certainly see what they were trying to do here, but the game just plain fails.  I know it's supposedly a good JRPG, but that's irrelevant, since final Fantasy VI is my all time favorite game, and IV, VII, VIII, IX, X, and XII are all amongst my top favorite games of all time.  You can't even argue that I'm just hating it because it's different or not what I expected, because I was there to defend EVERY Final Fantasy game since VIII for their differences.  

I tried to like it, the game just fails, and people liking it further helps one of the many points I like to make about current gamers: it's all style over substance. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:

*sighs*  I know they're two different teams, I know it's in full production blah blah blah.  But seriously, the "this is unbecoming of a writer" attitude is wearing thin.  Last I checked, it was the job of a writer to have an opinion and...I dunno, write it down?  I mean, am I perhaps missing something here?  Something that says I'm not allowed to have an opinion and if I do I'm not allowed to say it? 

I don't hate on Final Fantasy XIII to be cool or to sound hip, I hate on it because it's a bad game with great production values.  it follows practically every path I hate in games, and all my analysis of it comes up short.  Great graphics and sound (though I still hated both), but the plot, characters, and gameplay were shallow and poorly done.  I know damn well that the team can do magic, and I certainly see what they were trying to do here, but the game just plain fails.  I know it's supposedly a good JRPG, but that's irrelevant, since final Fantasy VI is my all time favorite game, and IV, VII, VIII, IX, X, and XII are all amongst my top favorite games of all time.  You can't even argue that I'm just hating it because it's different or not what I expected, because I was there to defend EVERY Final Fantasy game since VIII for their differences.  

I tried to like it, the game just fails, and people liking it further helps one of the many points I like to make about current gamers: it's all style over substance. 

I'm not talking about stating your opinion. I'm talking about belittling people, being rude, posting negative comments where you are not welcome, making flamebait threads, drawing people into long and tedious arguments and stating your "opinion" as fact. It's not about your opinions, it's your attitude towards other people and their opinions.

"Great graphics and sound (though I still hated both)"

That doesn't make sense, but what I've gathered from it is basically what I've said to you before. You are so delusional and blinded by hate you will ignore Final Fantasy XIII's redeeming aspects and just try to pull the whole game down.

I'm not expecting you to like every aspect, but it irritates me when you talk about how much you liked other Final Fantasy games which also have their own weaknesses. If FFXIII's plot and characters are bad, what the hell must you think about FFVII? If FFXIII's gameplay is bad, then what the hell must you think about FFX which is almost identical in structure? Run from point A to point B killing things along the way, stop and watch a cutscene that reveals another plot point, rinse and repeat. Even the locales are similar, the Calm Lands = Gran Pulse, Oerba = Zanakard, once you are finished with Oerba / Zanakard you get on an airship and return to the capital city Eden / Bevelle, the similarities between the two games are huge. The only advantage FFX has is an airship.

"It's all style over substance"

Another belittling comment. Maybe it isn't style over substance, maybe these people actually like the game and see a lot more to it than you do. Maybe it's just their opinion.

...Oh wait, I forgot, opinions aren't relevant unless it's your fucking opinion, my mistake.

I wish Xenoblade could have gotten those sales, atleast that game deserved it.. FFXIII?... not so much
The only thing I liked about FFXIII was Vanille and Sazh

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
I wish Xenoblade could have gotten those sales, atleast that game deserved it.. FFXIII?... not so much
The only thing I liked about FFXIII was Vanille and Sazh

Xenoblade doesn't have the brand recognition like Final Fantasy does, not to mention it hasn't released in the US yet.

I would say the game releasing on the Wii so late into its life cycle might have hindered sales too.

It's a shame really, it sounds like a good game.

brendude13 said:

I'm not talking about stating your opinion. I'm talking about belittling people, being rude, posting negative comments where you are not welcome, making flamebait threads, drawing people into long and tedious arguments and stating your "opinion" as fact. It's not about your opinions, it's your attitude towards other people and their opinions.

That doesn't make sense, but what I've gathered from it is basically what I've said to you before. You are so delusional and blinded by hate you will ignore Final Fantasy XIII's redeeming aspects and just try to pull the whole game down.

I'm not expecting you to like every aspect, but it irritates me when you talk about how much you liked other Final Fantasy games which also have their own weaknesses. If FFXIII's plot and characters are bad, what the hell must you think about FFVII? If FFXIII's gameplay is bad, then what the hell must you think about FFX which is almost identical in structure? Run from point A to point B killing things along the way, stop and watch a cutscene that reveals another plot point, rinse and repeat. Even the locales are similar, the Calm Lands = Gran Pulse, Oerba = Zanakard, once you are finished with Oerba / Zanakard you get on an airship and return to the capital city Eden / Bevelle, the similarities between the two games are huge. The only advantage FFX has is an airship.

Another belittling comment. Maybe it isn't style over substance, maybe these people actually like the game and see a lot more to it than you do. Maybe it's just their opinion.

...Oh wait, I forgot, opinions aren't relevant unless it's your fucking opinion, my mistake.

umad?  yeah, u mad.  

And I think you're pretty...how do I say this...poor at analysis if you think FFXIII has the same gameplay as X or that the plot and characters in VII was in any way comparable.  Okay, they have some very base similarities, but hell, bananas and pillbugs have plenty of similarities if you get vague enough.  

People are stupid, I'm not a bad person for pointing it out.  a person can be smart, but people in general tend to be pretty derpy, this is a practically universally agreed upon truth.  

*Edited out image* (Sorry, I crossed a line there.)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:

People are stupid, I'm not a bad person for pointing it out.  a person can be smart, but people in general tend to be pretty derpy, this is a practically universally agreed upon truth.

-[image]-  

How you get any respect with that mentality is beyond me