By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII Has Shipped 6.2 Million Worldwide

Runa216 said:
VXIII said:
Runa216 said:

at least I substantiate my hatred.  

I'd love to see someone argue with me about any of the Gameplay or Story categories.  I have very good reason for each and every one of those. 

I agree that both the plot and the characters were weak but the world had a pretty good back story, not well presented in XIII that's true but if someone bothered to read it they'll find some really high points, however, the world's mythology was fully revealed early this year, in order to understand it completely you need to check out the trailer if you haven't already.

What with the difficulty ? , You think it was too hard or too easy ?, I've seen people complaining on both sides ... somehow , I thought it was well balanced, some bosses were hard and I had to try more than once, the regular fights were too long sometimes, I found the game overall a bit too easy myself but I won't give it 2 for difficulty.

The innovation part, the combat system was so fresh and well received by both critics and most of the fans, I like the idea of choosing one certain role for every character, and I like the strategy concept in it that you must built the stagger bar using some roles then you change them to cause more damage. I have no idea how you could give it a 1 in that area, if you hated it doesn't mean it isn't innovative,maybe because you actually hate the game not only dislike it, hatred can never be 100% fair

The replay is based on the fun factor and that is totally subjective , so .... .

That level design score "expose" an important point, the reviewer was comparing it to WRPG like oblivion and Fallout, or maybe never played a FF game before and that's highly unlikely, linearity isn't new to the series and it's very expected in a story driven game, I didn't like it either btw but it's also kinnda subjective .

I'm not trying to change your mind btw , that's kind of impossible , I'm just expressing mine .Also, you are not going to write the review for XIII-2 ,are you .

Well, the characters were flat, and the story was POORLY told, and I totally agree:  the lore they put into this world is phenomenal...but you shouldn't have to go through the sea of bullshit to get to it.  You actually had to read an in-game novel (practically) to hear any of that, and almost none of it was incorporated into the story.  I did a lot of reading about it online and that's one of the only reasons I'm actually curious to play XIII-2. 

I knew someone would mention difficulty.  I found the game disgustingly hard, but also remarkably simple.  To me it was like EVERY FPS EVAR...in that it didn't require skill, just steadfast determination and a touch of luck.  Anyone could beat the game and beat all the enemies, just keep trying till it works.  To me the difficulty curve was broken and unfair, and entirely unrewarding.  the grade isn't a matter of how difficult it is, but how well done it is.  the difficulty in this game was bullshit.  too much reliance on luck and repeat attempts. 

there was absolutely no 'innovation' in the battle system.  It was basically a simplified, dumbed down version of 12's combat system, but sped up and with like 1/10th of the customization options. You had absolutely no control over your allies and blah blah blah.... The reason I gave this such a bad score is because as far as I was concerned, it was just a dumbed down, simpler version of previous games.  No innovation, nothing new added.  Yeah, it was faster paced and more action packed, but at the cost of customization. 

what replay value is there?  you play through the game, you kill all the marks...there's no reward for playing it a different way, there's no alternate ways to do things, few hidden items you may not have gotten.  Oblivion has good replay value because you can play it COMPLETELY different the second time.  same with games like Red Dead Redemption (fame and alignment meter) and inFamous (Hero/infamous meter), THAT has replay value.  this game was so restrictive and had so little side content/alternate gameplay styles that it objectively has no replay value.  If you wanna play it again, I'm certainly not one to tell you no, but theres no incentive in game to do it. 

narrow hallways are HORRIBLE level designs.  I know it's been said before (and for the record, I prefer linearity...storyline wise), but going in a straight line for 95% of the game is not good design.  in FFX, you could explore side caves and hidden areas, the only remotely decent area in the game was Gran Pulse, which was just a series of different hallways.  

I do not currently have plans to review the sequel, but I'm sure if I wanted to I could, since nobody on the team (As far as I know) has any interest in it.  That, and while we definitely encourage each reviewer to score it according to their own opinions, we all agree that the 9.0 FFXIII got is an absolute travesty, and we'd all change it if we could.  

I gave this game a 2.1, but I think in the interest of objectivity, if I was scoring it for the site, I'd have given it a 4.0-4.7 (no idea why I chose that range).  It's not broken, just very, VERY poorly made in my opinion. 

Also, the only reason it didn't get maxed out technical visual fidelity score was because Squeenix had no care for the SDTV users out there, unless you were on an HDTV you couldn't see shit.  That said, fuck the graphics were gorgeous once I saw them on an HDTV! 

Paradigms are the key, which is another reason why I liked the combat system, you need to get prepared before you enter the battle, if you die then you must try another set of paradigms, or you can just try again until it works but that's not how it works

The battle system differ itself with  Paradigms and the stagger bar, personaly I haven't seen anything like it before, however, the battle system needs to be fun and fit well in the game it doesn't need to be innovative.

The replay value, See!, the problem is right here, you are comparing it to a game that you like and to a concept that you prefer, what you said actually describe 95% of games overall, don't know why it's such a huge problem here but no one mention it when they're talking about Uncharted for example, you gave Resistance3 8 for value ( Higher actually but then adjusted) there's no alternate ways to do things so why the high value ( and when the multiplayer is nothing special )?, because the game was fun ?  .... the fun factor is subjective.

The level design could have been much better I agree, you actually make some good points, but your scores are another story, way too harsh because you are not judgeing the game for what it is, but for what you wanted it to be .

Around the Network
pezus said:
MonstaMack said:
pezus said:
A203D said:
MonstaMack said:
Slimebeast said:

So Fallout 3 is the best selling RPG of this generation after all, even without PC sales. 6.13 million sold to customers on consoles alone.

Throw in PC and Steam sales and I'm sure It's at 7+ million.

I thought New Vegas was on pace to outsell Fallout 3 but it didn't happen.

Either way this game still outsold Mass Effect 2 by a lot.

Its not really fair to make that comparasion imo. ME1 and 2 were 360 exclusives. who knows what the sales wouldve been had they both been multiplatform from the beginning. a lot of people bought FF13 based on previous entrys anyway, next gen Mass Effect will be a well established franchise.

a fairer comparasion is FF13 and FF10 and then FF7. and we can see there is definitly a decline in the fans interested in this series. as opposed to Mass Effect, where there has been an increase in the number of fans from ME1 and 2. i think FF13-2s sales will demonstrate how far the series has fallen.

ME2 was never exclusive...

ME 1 and ME 2 were also on PC. I don't know the PC sales figures.

They're probably around 50% of what the 360 version sold. 

ME2 was a timed exclusive for the Xbox 360. Microsoft sold publishing rights to EA, who decided to release a PS3 version 1 year after the inital 360 release. my point is had it have launched similtaneously to the 360 version, the sales couldve been much different.

Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:
This forum is filled with FFX fanboys, open your eyes people, notice the terrible story telling and the douchey characters! Such whores, only wanting flash and no substance. (And no, before any of you say something, I'm not defending FFXIII)

Doesn't look like it will outsell FFVIII, which is a shame, that abomination deserves to die. Oh well, here's to the next FF, eh?

I already won that last argument, wanna go again?

Also, FF VIII is better than XIII - and better than most other FF's and games, to boot.

You won that arguement? Lolwut, all you did was say "At least FFXIII did it worse! So I'm allowed to like my cruddy game". Man, kids these days...

If you wanna go again, just tell me ;)

@bren: FFX > FFVI > FFVIII for me. Everything else is great and changes places on occasion - only FF XIII drudges far far behind. But yeah, the ending in FFX really seals the deal there.

lol, so arrogant, didn't mature at all during the last year, eh? I guess that's just what this place does to you. As long as you don't try to twist my words this time then go right ahead.

This reminds me, I actually linked a friend to that other discussion, he asked me why I posted a video oh a hentai game in the middle of it. It took me quite a while to convince him that it was just FFX-2 and that you were just giving a woman an orgasm by massaging her.

An 18-year-old talking to me about maturity and arrogance and then trying to stuff the same irrelevant argument as he did in his last five posts on the subject, all while failing to respond to 2/3 points in the last argument? AW AW IT'S MASSAGEZ IT'S HORRIBLE! Do you have anything else besides that and calling me various things?

How funny. I don't get you at all - what do you mean by "matured in the alst year"?

Well alright then.

-How are the characters douchey? Tidus is whiny in the start, but then he reconciles with his situation and quickly matures and gets a grip. Auron is perfectly serious, fatherly, and, at times, inspiring. Lulu is cold out front, but very concerned and deep on the inside. Rikku and Wakka are there for comic relief and emphasizing racial tension in spira, they do both perfectly. Yuna is quiet and almost without presense at first, but clearly has plans of her own and is strong to embrace a rebellious spirit when needed, up to to becoming a key protagonist for the game. The only one thats kinda useless is Kimahri, but the whole company clicks really well.

-How is the story told badly? You are led by force of hand through all of it, and while the main story unfolds in front of you, you also get lots of backstory from the main chars and Maechen should you speak to him. The games' rich universe is unveiled even better in FFX-2. GIve me an example of badly - because from start to finish, it all clicks, makes sense, and depending on your taste, is enthralling. I don't remember story holes, either - a classic example of bad storytelling.

Xen said:
Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:
This forum is filled with FFX fanboys, open your eyes people, notice the terrible story telling and the douchey characters! Such whores, only wanting flash and no substance. (And no, before any of you say something, I'm not defending FFXIII)

Doesn't look like it will outsell FFVIII, which is a shame, that abomination deserves to die. Oh well, here's to the next FF, eh?

Also, FF VIII is better than XIII - and better than most other FF's and games, to boot.

You won that arguement? Lolwut, all you did was say "At least FFXIII did it worse! So I'm allowed to like my cruddy game". Man, kids these days...

@bren: FFX > FFVI > FFVIII for me. Everything else is great and changes places on occasion - only FF XIII drudges far far behind. But yeah, the ending in FFX really seals the deal there.

lol, so arrogant, didn't mature at all during the last year, eh? I guess that's just what this place does to you. As long as you don't try to twist my words this time then go right ahead.

This reminds me, I actually linked a friend to that other discussion, he asked me why I posted a video oh a hentai game in the middle of it. It took me quite a while to convince him that it was just FFX-2 and that you were just giving a woman an orgasm by massaging her.

An 18-year-old talking to me about maturity and arrogance and then trying to stuff the same irrelevant argument as he did in his last five posts on the subject, all while failing to respond to 2/3 points in the last argument? AW AW IT'S MASSAGEZ IT'S HORRIBLE! Do you have anything else besides that and calling me various things?

How funny. I don't get you at all - what do you mean by "matured in the alst year"?

Well alright then.

-How are the characters douchey? Tidus is whiny in the start, but then he reconciles with his situation and quickly matures and gets a grip. Auron is perfectly serious, fatherly, and, at times, inspiring. Lulu is cold out front, but very concerned and deep on the inside. Rikku and Wakka are there for comic relief and emphasizing racial tension in spira, they do both perfectly. Yuna is quiet and almost without presense at first, but clearly has plans of her own and is strong to embrace a rebellious spirit when needed, up to to becoming a key protagonist for the game. The only one thats kinda useless is Kimahri, but the whole company clicks really well.

-How is the story told badly? You are led by force of hand through all of it, and while the main story unfolds in front of you, you also get lots of backstory from the main chars and Maechen should you speak to him. The games' rich universe is unveiled even better in FFX-2. GIve me an example of badly - because from start to finish, it all clicks, makes sense, and depending on your taste, is enthralling. I don't remember story holes, either - a classic example of bad storytelling.

Maturity isn't all about age, sir. And I was not using that as my point, I was just saying it was something that amused me that he thought it was a hentai game. Though it does show how shameless the series is.

Only that I was gone a bit more than a year and you don't seem to have changed at all, that's basically it.

How are the characters douchey? Well how about how all of them completely ignore the threat that is Sin just to play underwater polo. Killika gets destroyed by Sin, most of the village dies and just a day later they're go "AW YEAH, LET'S IGNORE SIN AND PLAY BLITZBALL!" That's not douchey? Even after Tidus matures he's still an asshole and a total brat "this is my story", when it's definitely Yuna's story and not his. He bangs her and then walks all over her. Wakka has the "Just like happy fireworks, eh?" scene right after Rikku's home gets destroyed, despite how stupid Wakka is you cannot think that something like that is a good idea. Total douche. Rikku has no purpose in the story except for the "racial tension". Yuna is not even worth mentioning really, even though the whole story revolves around her she's a complete doormat and a very boring character. She used more as a tool to progress the story, like the five or so times she gets kidnapped.

Auron is an amazing character, I can't deny that, he carried that game alone. Quite possibly my favourite Final Fantasy character of all time. That might just be because he doesn't say much and we really don't know all that much about him, not even the spheres you find with him tell you all that much about him. Lulu is alright, she's a pretty good character. Those two are the only ones I like though.

On the story: Now I'm not sure if you're wanting examples of why it's bad from FFX or FFX-2, I could probably argue against both.

I'll just go with FFX for now though. It's not so much that it's told badly as it is a bad story that makes no sense with awful writing. For the start of the first ten hours of the game it revolves COMPLETELY around Blitzball, which is never explained. Blitzball is so impossible it's laughable, but what I have a bigger concern with is the fact that some people can just breath indefinitely under water while playing underwater polo. This is never explained and yet it really is very important to the plot, even outside of Blitzball. If Tidus, Wakka and Rikku couldn't breath under water then the game would have been over pretty early on. Why is it that they can do this? I thought these guys were meant to be humans (for the most part anyway), I'm pretty sure men can't hold their breath for that long, especially not if they're carrying around a jagged volley ball. Explain game, explain! Then there's the romance *shudder* which is all based on "The wind is nice *insert laughter*" and it is really quite important to the plot. Plotholes? How did Jecht even get to Spira? I know that Tidus got there through Sin, but that was only because Jecht didn't want him dead, I doubt that Sin would just teleport some random guy to Spira for the lulz. Hm? Since he was a dream the Fayth sent him there? One problem there, if they were able to make their "dreams" do whatever they wanted, then why didn't they just turn them into some sort of god and made the instantly kill Yu Yevon? The whole dream aspect was pretty pointless too, it really didn't serve any purpose, it was moslty there as a "See? Tidus is important to the plot!".

There is more, but I don't feel like typing out why the plot is terrible for ages, I can move on to FFX-2 if you'd wish.

A203D said:
Acevil said:
Xen said:
VXIII said:

Great numbers, but still disappointing as XIII is the first final fantasy this gen, the first has sold the best in the last two gens, wonder if XIII-2 will manage to sell 5M LT.

Not a chance in hell.

Hmm, how about 4 million?

I originally thought 2 mil.

Mirson i really dont think FF13 is going to sell another 2 mil copies. its been in the bargain bin for a year now. and that hasnt really helped the sales.

FF10-2 sold about half of what FF10 sold. and FF10 was a popular entry to the series. i dont think FF13-2 will sell half of FF13, since it is a lot less popular than FF10.

FF10-2 was really weird spin-off XII-2 looks to be much more of proper sequel. I'm getting it day one anyway ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:
Xen said:
Christhor said:

Well alright then.

Maturity isn't all about age, sir. And I was not using that as my point, I was just saying it was something that amused me that he thought it was a hentai game. Though it does show how shameless the series is.

Only that I was gone a bit more than a year and you don't seem to have changed at all, that's basically it.

How are the characters douchey? Well how about how all of them completely ignore the threat that is Sin just to play underwater polo. Killika gets destroyed by Sin, most of the village dies and just a day later they're go "AW YEAH, LET'S IGNORE SIN AND PLAY BLITZBALL!" That's not douchey? Even after Tidus matures he's still an asshole and a total brat "this is my story", when it's definitely Yuna's story and not his. He bangs her and then walks all over her. Wakka has the "Just like happy fireworks, eh?" scene right after Rikku's home gets destroyed, despite how stupid Wakka is you cannot think that something like that is a good idea. Total douche. Rikku has no purpose in the story except for the "racial tension". Yuna is not even worth mentioning really, even though the whole story revolves around her she's a complete doormat and a very boring character. She used more as a tool to progress the story, like the five or so times she gets kidnapped.

Auron is an amazing character, I can't deny that, he carried that game alone. Quite possibly my favourite Final Fantasy character of all time. That might just be because he doesn't say much and we really don't know all that much about him, not even the spheres you find with him tell you all that much about him. Lulu is alright, she's a pretty good character. Those two are the only ones I like though.

On the story: Now I'm not sure if you're wanting examples of why it's bad from FFX or FFX-2, I could probably argue against both.

I'll just go with FFX for now though. It's not so much that it's told badly as it is a bad story that makes no sense with awful writing. For the start of the first ten hours of the game it revolves COMPLETELY around Blitzball, which is never explained. Blitzball is so impossible it's laughable, but what I have a bigger concern with is the fact that some people can just breath indefinitely under water while playing underwater polo. This is never explained and yet it really is very important to the plot, even outside of Blitzball. If Tidus, Wakka and Rikku couldn't breath under water then the game would have been over pretty early on. Why is it that they can do this? I thought these guys were meant to be humans (for the most part anyway), I'm pretty sure men can't hold their breath for that long, especially not if they're carrying around a jagged volley ball. Explain game, explain! Then there's the romance *shudder* which is all based on "The wind is nice *insert laughter*" and it is really quite important to the plot. Plotholes? How did Jecht even get to Spira? I know that Tidus got there through Sin, but that was only because Jecht didn't want him dead, I doubt that Sin would just teleport some random guy to Spira for the lulz. Hm? Since he was a dream the Fayth sent him there? One problem there, if they were able to make their "dreams" do whatever they wanted, then why didn't they just turn them into some sort of god and made the instantly kill Yu Yevon? The whole dream aspect was pretty pointless too, it really didn't serve any purpose, it was moslty there as a "See? Tidus is important to the plot!".

There is more, but I don't feel like typing out why the plot is terrible for ages, I can move on to FFX-2 if you'd wish.

That is quite the write-up, expect a reply later on today or tomorrow.

Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:
Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:
Yes, every sale deserved for the greatest game of all time.

Brendude be trollin

With your hatin' and my lovin' I think it evens out in the end.

at least I substantiate my hatred.  

I'd love to see someone argue with me about any of the Gameplay or Story categories.  I have very good reason for each and every one of those. 

Uh-oh, here he goes again, taking things too seriously and provoking others into an argument. Just like to point out that half of those ratings have no justification whatsoever. 2/10 for difficulty? 3/10 for world? 5/10 for art direction? I could go on and on... What's next, are you going to argue that the sky is green?

I think it would be better for me to completely ignore you, one mention of Final Fantasy XIII and you start spitting hatred, you have an unhealthy obsession with the game, that alone clouds your judgement. I can accept that some people don't like the game, but some of these people come up with a fair and rational argument as to why they don't like the game, based on their OPINION. Your "writer" status doesn't mean you are always right, you are starting to build up a very bad reputation on this website, especially after that "prove God exists" thread. I agreed with what you said but you don't argue these points out of respect for other people, something you are seriously lacking.

Here's another pointer, next time you see a thread title containing "Final Fantasy XIII"...Don't click it.

pezus said:

Is the voice acting really an 8/10? What I heard in the trailers was pretty bad (the English VA). 

I'm not that much of a fan of the voice acting, especially Vanille. I thought Sahz, Hope and Snow were great, but the voice acting suffered as a whole because of the awful dialogue at times.

brendude13 said:

Uh-oh, here he goes again, taking things too seriously and provoking others into an argument. Just like to point out that half of those ratings have no justification whatsoever. 2/10 for difficulty? 3/10 for world? 5/10 for art direction? I could go on and on... What's next, are you going to argue that the sky is green?

I think it would be better for me to completely ignore you, one mention of Final Fantasy XIII and you start spitting hatred, you have an unhealthy obsession with the game, that alone clouds your judgement. I can accept that some people don't like the game, but some of these people come up with a fair and rational argument as to why they don't like the game, based on their OPINION. Your "writer" status doesn't mean you are always right, you are starting to build up a very bad reputation on this website, especially after that "prove God exists" thread. I agreed with what you said but you don't argue these points out of respect for other people, something you are seriously lacking.

Here's another pointer, next time you see a thread title containing "Final Fantasy XIII"...Don't click it.

Tell you what, you get Square-Enix to finish up Final Fantasy VsXIII instead of wasting their time on XIII-2 and potentially XIII-3 and all this other garbage, and I'll stop speaking my opinion about it. 

The whole reason I complain about XIII is because, as long as people keep buying this shit and defending it, Square-Enix will keep making it, and as long as they're spending their time and money on something I feel is complete and utter shit in every way, that means they're not spending time on what could be my next favorite game.  So yes, I have a very good reason to continue to bitch and moan and whine about XIII and it's bullshit sequels and spinoffs. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Zlejedi said:

FF10-2 was really weird spin-off XII-2 looks to be much more of proper sequel. I'm getting it day one anyway ;)

I sort of agree with you, but i still dont see it selling anywhere near as well as FF13.