By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Box-Office Thread.

Can Disney beat Universal's record 2015 domestic gross - $2.445 billion?

It will fall short of tha... 4 13.33%

Finding Dory, Doctor Stra... 20 66.67%

It's going to be very cl... 6 20.00%

Total:30
spurgeonryan said:
I think dark shadows was not really for everyone. Surprised it cost more than 80 million. Battlefield looks like a summer big budget action movie. Like I said in my movie thread and the avengers thread I will probably see it since there is nothing else for families. Wish I could have seen John Carter in the dollar cinema.

Will predict 60-80 million as well. Could do more just because there is nothing else. Tho, I would not mind seeing The Avengers again.

read at boxofficeguru that some theaters are showing John Carter and the Avengers together.  Disney wants to add more money to John Carter.

Around the Network

The Avengers - just passed Hunger games on domestic charts.

The Avengers heading for a $65-70M 3rd week-end!

spurgeonryan said:
Some of these companies need to realize that they are just putting crazy amounts of money into some of these movies.
Dar Shadows: 150 million! Did they reaaly think it would make 250-400 million? No fraying way!
Battleship: come on! Its based off a board game. It needs 300-450 million.

Journey had decent special effects for like 80 million. Why cant other movies? Crazy!

Agreed.  Also Battleship and The Avengers pretty much had the same budget if you take the actors salaries out of it which where a lot higher for The Avengers.  If you make a risky movie with a high budget its a good idea to fill it up with a lot of product placements like the first Transformers movies or have a lot of merchandising.

Mordred11 said:
The Avengers heading for a $65-70M 3rd week-end!

OMG we both thought 3rd weekend record was impossible for it...seems not!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

I doubt the Hobbit will even do as well as The Fellowship of the Ring. I love the story and I watched the 1977 animated movie many times while growing up, but with all of the news of how the film looks at 48fps sounds like it may turn people off.

No matter what I will watch it in theater, but I am not sure if all of Jackson's changes to the story are going to pay off in a good way. Keeping my fingers crossed.

spurgeonryan said:
Prediction: Battle field will be bigger than everyone thinks.

Prediction - Avenger's 3rd week will beat Battleship's opening.

Battleship: $45
Dictator: $23
What to expect: 15
Avengers: $60

That's my prediction. The Avengers will win again. MIB3 will take the throne next week.

spurgeonryan said:
I am sort of hyped for MIB 3. I still have never watched MIB 2.

Not really hyped about MIB 3 but also haven't watched MIB 2 even though I have the DVD (own about a dozen DVD's that I haven't watchted yet) and its been a long time since I watched the first one which I also own on DVD.  The trailer for MIB 3 look good though.

BoxOfficeMojo predictions:

1. The Avengers - $53.2 million (-48%)
2. Battleship - $38.7 million
3. What to Expect - $21.9 million 
4. The Dictator - $17.5 million ($24.5 million five-day)
5. Dark Shadows - $14.6 million (-51%)

My predictions:

1. The Avengers - $48 million
2. Battleship - $40 million
3. What to Expect $18 million
4. Dark Shadows $16 million
5. The Dictator $12 million