By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
SpartenOmega117 said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Runa216 said:
7eyes said:
No these things didnt come from religion. God made us in his image and these are HIS traits. Religion is from man, God gave us his word to help understand who he is and what life is aboutJesus never said to the one thief on the cross, "you must get down and do "insert religious works here" and you will be saved. He told him because of his faith, today he would see him in paradise. The thief knew Jesus was the son of God and was dieing for his sins. . That we are sinners and need salvation, and we cant do it on our own. eg works. NOTHING you do can save you, He has paid the price you need to except it and only you can do this no one else can except it for you.

Okay, you've made many high claims, now prove it.  Offer some evidence to support your theory, please. 

Im not gonna support 7eyes here because I really don't think Jesus was the son of god. I don't think God would ever want to degrade himself to the level of humans or even have a son(ehich doesn't make any senese what soever. Does god have a wife?) But answer this. In terms of the quran how can a man without any education doesn not know how to read/write able to produce the quran? The book has many things in it (universe is expanding, earth revolves around sun, earth is round, only able to see one side of the moon, etc.) that even a very literate man back then would not know. Answer that?

anyone answer my question?

come on does no one have an answer? What about you Kantor?

Around the Network
7eyes said:
the appendix and the rest are not part of not needed things! The appendix is needed for your helping your body fight sickness. And the Bible has not been changed, this is a quick and nonsense argument. Look at the dead sea scrolls, they and other documents have the complete Bible text in them. Look its been fun but like I said before its sounds like you have made up your mind. Gods word is the Bible and being God he can protect his word through the last 2000 years. If you believe in evolution like most, you have no hope, life is meaningless and you are worthless, your kids your money everything. I pray you search, not for a feeling, a religion but in the creator. I have to go, thanks for the debate, oh and what some of you are asking show me proof. The people following Jesus watching him doing all the great signs always wanted more later. You see if he came down today and showed you a great sign, tomorrow you would want another. than

Jesus the bible has definately been changed. There is absolutely no denying that. Why do you think there is a King James bible, old testament, new testament, etc.

Shinobi-san said:
Runa216 said:
Joelcool7 said:

Not trying to insult you. I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice and also get this offensive thread closed. Its not that I have anything against you as a user or writer. I just think that in this case you over stepped the boundaries and should probably take responsability for that action.

Okay, I only read about half this post, (the first half and the last couple paragraphs), but I want you to do one thing for me: Explain to me how questioning someone's beliefs is in any way offensive.  you keep assuming this thread is offensive, and that I'm stereotyping but All I've done time and time again is ask people to offer supporting evidence to their claims.  There's a lot of "God is this" and "Heaven is Real" and "These are the divine rules" claims being thrown around, all I'm asking is one thing: Prove it.  

If people are going to keep making bold claims, they're going to continuously tell people "this is the truth", I expect them to back it up with conclusive or at least supporting evidence.  Only one person in this entire thread has even attempted that (well, maybe two or three, but only one did so respectfully and in a manner befitting of the respect I offer him).   

Instead you're just proving one of my greatest criticisms of religion:  they can dish out the criticisms and "we want proof" attitude when dealing with science, but when that same burden of proof is turned to them, they are not only unable to deliver, but also hide under their veil of "Don't mock my faith" and we're left with yet another situation where you can't be honest with religion because it's considered taboo to question faith.  

@Runa216 I think you missed the entire point of Joelcool7's post(s)...it didnt really have much to do with religion, but rather about the nature of the topic in relation to the forum rules. Also this is not about being offensive or non offensive (although you have been offensive in some posts but thats not the point), this is about creating a thread to bait a specific group of people. And i think Joelcool7 is write on the mark here, but hey you didnt even read hes entire post.

I also dont believe staff should be treated differently from normal users, however its a bad reflection on the site when staff do things thats generally not promoted on the site.

Unfortunately for joelcool, he doesn't write or enforce the site rules. I would judge that many moderators have seen this thread, myself included, and judged that it is not flamebait or trolling.

If you feel otherwise, report and move on. If we could trust users to moderate each other, we wouldn't need a moderation team.

So, get back to discussing whatever weak vestiges of the intended topic remain and stop discussing moderation. The latter, interestingly, is against forum rules.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Runa216 said:
Joelcool7 said:

Not trying to insult you. I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice and also get this offensive thread closed. Its not that I have anything against you as a user or writer. I just think that in this case you over stepped the boundaries and should probably take responsability for that action.

Okay, I only read about half this post, (the first half and the last couple paragraphs), but I want you to do one thing for me: Explain to me how questioning someone's beliefs is in any way offensive.  you keep assuming this thread is offensive, and that I'm stereotyping but All I've done time and time again is ask people to offer supporting evidence to their claims.  There's a lot of "God is this" and "Heaven is Real" and "These are the divine rules" claims being thrown around, all I'm asking is one thing: Prove it.  

If people are going to keep making bold claims, they're going to continuously tell people "this is the truth", I expect them to back it up with conclusive or at least supporting evidence.  Only one person in this entire thread has even attempted that (well, maybe two or three, but only one did so respectfully and in a manner befitting of the respect I offer him).   

Instead you're just proving one of my greatest criticisms of religion:  they can dish out the criticisms and "we want proof" attitude when dealing with science, but when that same burden of proof is turned to them, they are not only unable to deliver, but also hide under their veil of "Don't mock my faith" and we're left with yet another situation where you can't be honest with religion because it's considered taboo to question faith.  

Maybe you should read my entire posts before addressing them. I never ever said it was offensive to question my beliefs or any other users. I said how you created this thread was offensive. You specifically said you didn't want the educated and intellectual responses which obviously acknowledge you can't prove God exists. You specifically wanted people to say things that you have the upper hand against. Not a intellectual discussion at all you rigged the thread. Also your comments about Christianity being "Archaic" and such do not make this an open discussion. Every comment you have made thus far has shown you are not interested in an intellectual debate. Your comments abound other users, instead of responding specifically to their evidences you say their sources are biased and such, they may be but you didn't respond to their actual evidence.

Alright, you make all these devine claims that heaven is not real and God doesn't exist, prove it? You can't and if you think you can you need serious help. You already know nobody can prove it just like you can't and your not open to hearing their opinions.

Look at your weak knowledge of the Bible for example. 7eyes made a comment about how actions don't get you into heaven and talked basic Biblical knowledge. You then said you wanted proof, lol anyone with basic knowledge of the Bible knows what he said is biblical.

As I said earlier your bold claims have just as little proof to back them up then Dr.Glass and Rainbird. You say God doesn't exist wheres your proof? You want to call people's beliefs out, on what grounds? You want others to show you proof to support their beliefs when your whole belief system is based on faith in science without a basic foundation in science.

I have never said I want proof, I already know it doesn't exist. If it did I would believe differently. Your refering to me proving your point but as I said right above your proving your own point.

Also as I said anyone with basic scientific knowledge knows that science cannot prove or disprove the existance of God. I have nothing against science infact I took Biology in University for a year. I also believe in some scientific theories that have been proven such as Micro Evolution. I have yet to see a single peice of scientific evidence that disproves anything I believe in, any theories that do are unproven and usually take more faith to believe in then the existance of God.

Also some users here both athiests and believers have misquoted basic facts. A major one I noticed is the claim that the Bible says the earth is 6,000 years old. Now we have generic time lines in the Bible which do indicate that humans haven't been around millions of years. However the Bible itself never says 6,000 years old, that is a deduction a group of scholars have come to and while it is interesting it is not 100% fact.

Also the Bible doesn't specify how God created the earth, infact it doesn't even say how long it took. God could have very well used evolution their are several theories as to how he created earth and such. Such as the mature earth theory where he created a mature earth.

As I said science isn't at war with faith. It doesn't prove or disprove faith and nobody who has basic education will try to claim otherwise. There are thousands of Christian scientists and once you throw in scientists of all the other faiths their are more faith believing scientists then athiest scientists.

So please start respecting other users, if you want to question beliefs go ahead but do so in a respectful manor.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Kantor said:
wilco said:
This thread is just plain silly.

OP... can you prove evolution?

As well you know, science doesn't prove anything, it only disproves.

However, there is an enormous mountain of evidence in favour of it. One example of many:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

Can you prove creationism without referring to a book collected 1800 years ago made up of loosely interconnected anecdotes that conflict enormously with each other, which itself built on a book 2000 years older than that?

Well, science has yet to disprove God, so I guess we're at a stalemate.

There is also an enormous mountain of evidence in favor of God's existence. You seem to accept evolution based solely on logical deductions, yet you reject the idea of a God when similar logical deductions could be made to prove that theory. Your bias appears to be based only on your feelings towards organized religion. 

Many of the greatest philosophers and scientists in history believed in God. Galileo and Newton were devout christians. Albert Einstein believed and even Darwin accepted the possibility. Were all these guys idiots?

Around the Network
SpartenOmega117 said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Runa216 said:
7eyes said:
No these things didnt come from religion. God made us in his image and these are HIS traits. Religion is from man, God gave us his word to help understand who he is and what life is aboutJesus never said to the one thief on the cross, "you must get down and do "insert religious works here" and you will be saved. He told him because of his faith, today he would see him in paradise. The thief knew Jesus was the son of God and was dieing for his sins. . That we are sinners and need salvation, and we cant do it on our own. eg works. NOTHING you do can save you, He has paid the price you need to except it and only you can do this no one else can except it for you.

Okay, you've made many high claims, now prove it.  Offer some evidence to support your theory, please. 

Im not gonna support 7eyes here because I really don't think Jesus was the son of god. I don't think God would ever want to degrade himself to the level of humans or even have a son(ehich doesn't make any senese what soever. Does god have a wife?) But answer this. In terms of the quran how can a man without any education doesn not know how to read/write able to produce the quran? The book has many things in it (universe is expanding, earth revolves around sun, earth is round, only able to see one side of the moon, etc.) that even a very literate man back then would not know. Answer that?

1) Stop quoting yourself

2) Because science back then was a lot more developed than you used to think, particularly in what is now Arabia and India. And what makes you think Muhammad wrote the Qu'ran? Moreover, if you're intent on finding science in anything, you can find it. People find science in the Bible, too. Did the Qu'ran speak of relativity or quantum mechanics? How can the all-knowing God not understand these things?

SmokedHostage said:
While we're at it, can some prove if Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy exist?

Oh wait, they're constructs of human imagination. Much like the G man.

Santa Claus is real, he came down the chimney and took pictures of me naked, told me I wouldn't get any presents if I told my parents.

Another religion debate. This is sad.

wilco said:
Kantor said:
wilco said:
This thread is just plain silly.

OP... can you prove evolution?

As well you know, science doesn't prove anything, it only disproves.

However, there is an enormous mountain of evidence in favour of it. One example of many:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

Can you prove creationism without referring to a book collected 1800 years ago made up of loosely interconnected anecdotes that conflict enormously with each other, which itself built on a book 2000 years older than that?

Well, science has yet to disprove God. So I guess were at a stalemate.

There is also an enormous mountain of evidence in favor of God's existence. You seem to accept evolution based solely on logical deductions, yet you reject the idea of a God when similar logical deductions could be made to prove that theory. Your bias appears to be based only on your feelings towards organized religion. 

Many of the greatest philosophers and scientists in history believed in God. Galileo and Newton were devout christians. Albert Einstein believed and even Darwin accepted the possibility. Were all these guys idiots?

Galileo and Newton grew up in a time before atheism was even a real thing. The fact that Darwin was a Christian shows that God is not at odds with evolution. And by no reasonable definition was Einstein a Christian.

Once again, there is nothing wrong with belief in God in itself, just what comes of belief in God. What is God? It is a word made up by mankind. How do you even define it? A creator? An omnipotent being? A piece of cheese lying in my fridge? Disproving god would be like disproving "wibbleflurble". Neither is a clearly defined concept. The problems come when you say that he is a creator and omnipotent being, start assigning him a personality and morality, and say that we have to listen to him.

Kantor said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Runa216 said:
7eyes said:

1) Stop quoting yourself

2) Because science back then was a lot more developed than you used to think, particularly in what is now Arabia and India. And what makes you think Muhammad wrote the Qu'ran? Moreover, if you're intent on finding science in anything, you can find it. People find science in the Bible, too. Did the Qu'ran speak of relativity or quantum mechanics? How can the all-knowing God not understand these things?

it doesn't matter how scientifc or not the quran, bible, etc. is. My main question is how was some so illterate able to produce it? He actually recited it and the only people who could write at the time wrote it. And no science was not as developed either. Arabia was pretty much at the bottom of the food chain in the day of Mohammad. Kind of like the dark ages of europe. Pretty much no one could have known and put the quran together in such an organized manner.