By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Kantor said:
o_O.Q said:
7eyes said:
No these things didnt come from religion. God made us in his image and these are HIS traits. Religion is from man, God gave us his word to help understand who he is and what life is aboutJesus never said to the one thief on the cross, "you must get down and do "insert religious works here" and you will be saved. He told him because of his faith, today he would see him in paradise. The thief knew Jesus was the son of God and was dieing for his sins. . That we are sinners and need salvation, and we cant do it on our own. eg works. NOTHING you do can save you, He has paid the price you need to except it and only you can do this no one else can except it for you.

"No these things didnt come from religion" then how were they conveyed from god to humanity?... i was under the assumption that that is what religion is for to convey god's rules or laws... i mean its not as if god himself communicates these laws if that were the case we wouldn't be having this discussion at all

Interesting point. Why doesn't he just tell us? It's been 2000 years since he last checked in, and even the best kept records will have started to fade by then. Clearly, we've gotten very confused over the whole thing, so if he could clear it up, that would be great.

Or is he testing us again? God sounds an awful lot like GLaDOS.

"even the best kept records will have started to fade by then" true how can christians be sure that they are following the word of god when their only tangible connection to his laws is a book that has been compiled by people

Around the Network
SpartenOmega117 said:
Kantor said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

come on does no one have an answer? What about you Kantor?

1) Stop quoting yourself

2) Because science back then was a lot more developed than you used to think, particularly in what is now Arabia and India. And what makes you think Muhammad wrote the Qu'ran? Moreover, if you're intent on finding science in anything, you can find it. People find science in the Bible, too. Did the Qu'ran speak of relativity or quantum mechanics? How can the all-knowing God not understand these things?

it doesn't matter how scientifc or not the quran, bible, etc. is. My main question is how was some so illterate able to produce it? He actually recited it and the only people who could write at the time wrote it. And no science was not as developed either. Arabia was pretty much at the bottom of the food chain in the day of Mohammad. Kind of like the dark ages of europe. Pretty much no one could have known and put the quran together in such an organized manner.

I will give you the honest answer that I have no idea. I've never personally looked into it.

What, exactly, are you trying to imply? And don't say "nothing".

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

o_O.Q said:
Kantor said:
o_O.Q said:
7eyes said:
No these things didnt come from religion. God made us in his image and these are HIS traits. Religion is from man, God gave us his word to help understand who he is and what life is aboutJesus never said to the one thief on the cross, "you must get down and do "insert religious works here" and you will be saved. He told him because of his faith, today he would see him in paradise. The thief knew Jesus was the son of God and was dieing for his sins. . That we are sinners and need salvation, and we cant do it on our own. eg works. NOTHING you do can save you, He has paid the price you need to except it and only you can do this no one else can except it for you.

"No these things didnt come from religion" then how were they conveyed from god to humanity?... i was under the assumption that that is what religion is for to convey god's rules or laws... i mean its not as if god himself communicates these laws if that were the case we wouldn't be having this discussion at all

Interesting point. Why doesn't he just tell us? It's been 2000 years since he last checked in, and even the best kept records will have started to fade by then. Clearly, we've gotten very confused over the whole thing, so if he could clear it up, that would be great.

Or is he testing us again? God sounds an awful lot like GLaDOS.

"even the best kept records will have started to fade by then" true how can christians be sure that they are following the word of god when their only tangible connection to his laws is a book that has been compiled by people

You've hit the nail on the head there. They can't. In fact, they can be pretty sure that they aren't. If, indeed, God even exists.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
wilco said:
Kantor said:
wilco said:
This thread is just plain silly.

OP... can you prove evolution?

As well you know, science doesn't prove anything, it only disproves.

However, there is an enormous mountain of evidence in favour of it. One example of many:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

Can you prove creationism without referring to a book collected 1800 years ago made up of loosely interconnected anecdotes that conflict enormously with each other, which itself built on a book 2000 years older than that?

Well, science has yet to disprove God. So I guess were at a stalemate.

There is also an enormous mountain of evidence in favor of God's existence. You seem to accept evolution based solely on logical deductions, yet you reject the idea of a God when similar logical deductions could be made to prove that theory. Your bias appears to be based only on your feelings towards organized religion. 

Many of the greatest philosophers and scientists in history believed in God. Galileo and Newton were devout christians. Albert Einstein believed and even Darwin accepted the possibility. Were all these guys idiots?

Galileo and Newton grew up in a time before atheism was even a real thing. The fact that Darwin was a Christian shows that God is not at odds with evolution. And by no reasonable definition was Einstein a Christian.

Once again, there is nothing wrong with belief in God in itself, just what comes of belief in God. What is God? It is a word made up by mankind. How do you even define it? A creator? An omnipotent being? A piece of cheese lying in my fridge? Disproving god would be like disproving "wibbleflurble". Neither is a clearly defined concept. The problems come when you say that he is a creator and omnipotent being, start assigning him a personality and morality, and say that we have to listen to him.

What is science? Its a word made up by mankind. Every thing we understand about it is nothing more than our limited interpretation of the universe. A few days from now a breakthrough can change our entire understanding of that universe. At the end of the day those religious folks aren't doing anything different from anyone else.

You speak as though mankind has reached the pinnacle of enlightment. We came up with the scientific method so now we have all the answers? Do you honestly believe that every concept must be clearly defined, do you believe that we are anywhere close to understanding the really big questions? I firmly believe that a thousand years from now there will still be things that are beyond human comprehension. It's one thing to question something but its another to dismiss it simply because you don't understand it. That is the height of human arrogance and its not much different from the religious folks who accept doctrines because they have no other explanation. 

Maybe God is a benevalant ominipotent being or maybe he's a piece of cheese. I don't know, but the fact that I can't say definitevely what he/she/it is doesn't invalidate it's existence.

Kantor said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Kantor said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

come on does no one have an answer? What about you Kantor?

1) Stop quoting yourself

2) Because science back then was a lot more developed than you used to think, particularly in what is now Arabia and India. And what makes you think Muhammad wrote the Qu'ran? Moreover, if you're intent on finding science in anything, you can find it. People find science in the Bible, too. Did the Qu'ran speak of relativity or quantum mechanics? How can the all-knowing God not understand these things?

it doesn't matter how scientifc or not the quran, bible, etc. is. My main question is how was some so illterate able to produce it? He actually recited it and the only people who could write at the time wrote it. And no science was not as developed either. Arabia was pretty much at the bottom of the food chain in the day of Mohammad. Kind of like the dark ages of europe. Pretty much no one could have known and put the quran together in such an organized manner.

I will give you the honest answer that I have no idea. I've never personally looked into it.

What, exactly, are you trying to imply? And don't say "nothing".

Im implying nothing.......JK haha

Im just trying to imply that a random guy in the middle of nowhere back then who lived in society that had a polytheisitc religion (not even christianity or judaism) was able to recite something not only intelligient but organized and even referenced stuff from the bible, torah (in a soicety where almost no one followed a montheistic religion!) and was even able to finish and give better insight to some of the stories in thse books and even involve science that had not been discovered yet.... its kind of amazing. ANd to this day that random guy in the middle of nowhere managed to have over a billion of followers And thats why i follow the relgiion of islam. Because know scientific proof can really answer how such a random illiterate man in a middle of nowhere was able to create something powerful like the quran. It was such aandom and unnatural event. Kind of like how many scientists belive the big bang was just a random and unnatural event. There has to be some kind of magic here. Right?

Around the Network
Kantor said:
wilco said:
Kantor said:
wilco said:
This thread is just plain silly.

OP... can you prove evolution?

As well you know, science doesn't prove anything, it only disproves.

However, there is an enormous mountain of evidence in favour of it. One example of many:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

Can you prove creationism without referring to a book collected 1800 years ago made up of loosely interconnected anecdotes that conflict enormously with each other, which itself built on a book 2000 years older than that?

Well, science has yet to disprove God. So I guess were at a stalemate.

There is also an enormous mountain of evidence in favor of God's existence. You seem to accept evolution based solely on logical deductions, yet you reject the idea of a God when similar logical deductions could be made to prove that theory. Your bias appears to be based only on your feelings towards organized religion. 

Many of the greatest philosophers and scientists in history believed in God. Galileo and Newton were devout christians. Albert Einstein believed and even Darwin accepted the possibility. Were all these guys idiots?

Galileo and Newton grew up in a time before atheism was even a real thing. The fact that Darwin was a Christian shows that God is not at odds with evolution. And by no reasonable definition was Einstein a Christian.

Once again, there is nothing wrong with belief in God in itself, just what comes of belief in God. What is God? It is a word made up by mankind. How do you even define it? A creator? An omnipotent being? A piece of cheese lying in my fridge? Disproving god would be like disproving "wibbleflurble". Neither is a clearly defined concept. The problems come when you say that he is a creator and omnipotent being, start assigning him a personality and morality, and say that we have to listen to him.

See I agree with Kantor for the most part. Well the first paragraph.

However if a creator does exist how could he not be an omnipotent being. He created the whole freaking universe I would say that its hard for him not to be omnipotent. Now can we understand God's personality, hell know but you see Christian's believe Jesus Christ was the son of God as such we base our beliefs about God's personality and morality on the teachings of Jesus Christ. Other faith such as Muslim's believe that Mohammed was given the Quran from God, as another user said try to explain how he could have possibly put it together, I don't even believe in Islam but even I can't explain how it was possible.

Also saying we have to listen to him. Umm if he created us and everything in existance I'm pretty sure he has more knowledge then we do. He knows how things work alot better then we do. If he says we should do something and he actually exists then we should probably listen, especially when most of what he says makes perfect sense to even us.

The fact hinges on beliefs, if you believe God exists thenchances are you also believe he is an imnipotent being. You also have a basis for your beliefs which is usually found in a spiritual leader and/or religious text.

Its all very logical if you believe in the existance of a God. If you do not, it is harder to understand. But I have met many Agnostics who understand fully why religious people believe as they do.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

alrighty, let's see if I can get this train back on track here.

Original post was saying (in a nicer way) that if Religion wants to continue to have an influence on the world of politics, science, and society, it should be expected to withstand the same criticism and scrutiny that all other aspects of our world has.

Instead of offering proper, intelligent insight to the issue, the thread has essentially turned into the precise thing I was hoping it wouldn't: Proving my point. Instead of offering philisophical insight to the origin of the universe or whatever, we have a lot of christians claiming that this criticism is somehow offensive and are trying to get the thread locked, and the rest are just trying to divert attention to disproving different scientific theories.

In an odd way, this thread has further proven my point: Religion collapses under pressure and is incapable of standing up to rationality without reverting to "let's see who can scream the loudest" to determine what people believe.

Also, for all the people arguing evolution, I have to facepalm. I may not know all the intricate details of evolution offhand, but even the slightest bit of research and proper scientific inquiry will prove to you that evolution is real. Anyone denying this fact is...well, they're not only ignorant but aggressively so.

"Don't bother me with the facts, I've already made up my mind."

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
alrighty, let's see if I can get this train back on track here.

Original post was saying (in a nicer way) that if Religion wants to continue to have an influence on the world of politics, science, and society, it should be expected to withstand the same criticism and scrutiny that all other aspects of our world has.

Instead of offering proper, intelligent insight to the issue, the thread has essentially turned into the precise thing I was hoping it wouldn't: Proving my point. Instead of offering philisophical insight to the origin of the universe or whatever, we have a lot of christians claiming that this criticism is somehow offensive and are trying to get the thread locked, and the rest are just trying to divert attention to disproving different scientific theories.

In an odd way, this thread has further proven my point: Religion collapses under pressure and is incapable of standing up to rationality without reverting to "let's see who can scream the loudest" to determine what people believe.

Also, for all the people arguing evolution, I have to facepalm. I may not know all the intricate details of evolution offhand, but even the slightest bit of research and proper scientific inquiry will prove to you that evolution is real. Anyone denying this fact is...well, they're not only ignorant but aggressively so.

"Don't bother me with the facts, I've already made up my mind."

Hey if you are not too busy will you try answering my question? Kantor tried but unfortunately he never really looked into it. What do you think?

SpartenOmega117 said:

Hey if you are not too busy will you try answering my question? Kantor tried but unfortunately he never really looked into it. What do you think?

What was your question?  the one about "how could some dude write a bible" thing? Elaborate, I want to know the whole question. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

What was your question?  the one about "how could some dude write a bible" thing? Elaborate, I want to know the whole question. 

First Post Asking:
Im not gonna support 7eyes here because I really don't think Jesus was the son of god. I don't think God would ever want to degrade himself to the level of humans or even have a son(ehich doesn't make any senese what soever. Does god have a wife?) But answer this. In terms of the quran how can a man without any education doesn not know how to read/write able to produce the quran? The book has many things in it (universe is expanding, earth revolves around sun, earth is round, only able to see one side of the moon, etc.) that even a very literate man back then would not know. Answer that?

Reply to Kantor:

What I am implying:

Im just trying to imply that a random guy in the middle of nowhere back then who lived in society that had a polytheisitc religion (not even christianity or judaism) was able to recite something not only intelligient but organized and even referenced stuff from the bible, torah (in a soicety where almost no one followed a montheistic religion!) and was even able to finish and give better insight to some of the stories in thse books and even involve science that had not been discovered yet.... its kind of amazing. ANd to this day that random guy in the middle of nowhere managed to have over a billion of followers And thats why i follow the relgiion of islam. Because know scientific proof can really answer how such a random illiterate man in a middle of nowhere was able to create something powerful like the quran. It was such aandom and unnatural event. Kind of like how many scientists belive the big bang was just a random and unnatural event. There has to be some kind of magic here. Right?