By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
o_O.Q said:
7eyes said:
No these things didnt come from religion. God made us in his image and these are HIS traits. Religion is from man, God gave us his word to help understand who he is and what life is aboutJesus never said to the one thief on the cross, "you must get down and do "insert religious works here" and you will be saved. He told him because of his faith, today he would see him in paradise. The thief knew Jesus was the son of God and was dieing for his sins. . That we are sinners and need salvation, and we cant do it on our own. eg works. NOTHING you do can save you, He has paid the price you need to except it and only you can do this no one else can except it for you.

"No these things didnt come from religion" then how were they conveyed from god to humanity?... i was under the assumption that that is what religion is for to convey god's rules or laws... i mean its not as if god himself communicates these laws if that were the case we wouldn't be having this discussion at all

Interesting point. Why doesn't he just tell us? It's been 2000 years since he last checked in, and even the best kept records will have started to fade by then. Clearly, we've gotten very confused over the whole thing, so if he could clear it up, that would be great.

Or is he testing us again? God sounds an awful lot like GLaDOS.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
SpartenOmega117 said:
Runa216 said:
7eyes said:
No these things didnt come from religion. God made us in his image and these are HIS traits. Religion is from man, God gave us his word to help understand who he is and what life is aboutJesus never said to the one thief on the cross, "you must get down and do "insert religious works here" and you will be saved. He told him because of his faith, today he would see him in paradise. The thief knew Jesus was the son of God and was dieing for his sins. . That we are sinners and need salvation, and we cant do it on our own. eg works. NOTHING you do can save you, He has paid the price you need to except it and only you can do this no one else can except it for you.

Okay, you've made many high claims, now prove it.  Offer some evidence to support your theory, please. 

Im not gonna support 7eyes here because I really don't think Jesus was the son of god. I don't think God would ever want to degrade himself to the level of humans or even have a son(ehich doesn't make any senese what soever. Does god have a wife?) But answer this. In terms of the quran how can a man without any education doesn not know how to read/write able to produce the quran? The book has many things in it (universe is expanding, earth revolves around sun, earth is round, only able to see one side of the moon, etc.) that even a very literate man back then would not know. Answer that?

anyone answer my question?

I got your god right here! I am your god!

seriousness now

I think god is everything and nothing at the sametime, like the simple thought of nothingness, it comes from something. either spiritual, real and unreal, all the different gods and goddesses, same god but different names. that is what I think.

I can't prove it, but its in our minds to believe or not to believe. science can't prove it wrong or right either. see what i mean?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Kantor said:
o_O.Q said:
7eyes said:

"No these things didnt come from religion" then how were they conveyed from god to humanity?... i was under the assumption that that is what religion is for to convey god's rules or laws... i mean its not as if god himself communicates these laws if that were the case we wouldn't be having this discussion at all

Interesting point. Why doesn't he just tell us? It's been 2000 years since he last checked in, and even the best kept records will have started to fade by then. Clearly, we've gotten very confused over the whole thing, so if he could clear it up, that would be great.

But he doesn't promise us cake nor does he give us portal guns, I say we replace the (Christan/Islamic/Jewish) god with GLaDOS.

Former something....

wilco said:
This thread is just plain silly.

OP... can you prove evolution?

As well you know, science doesn't prove anything, it only disproves.

However, there is an enormous mountain of evidence in favour of it. One example of many:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution

Can you prove creationism without referring to a book collected 1800 years ago made up of loosely interconnected anecdotes that conflict enormously with each other, which itself built on a book 2000 years older than that?

Around the Network
Blacksaber said:
Kantor said:
o_O.Q said:

But he doesn't promise us cake nor does he give us portal guns, I say we replace the (Christan/Islamic/Jewish) god with GLaDOS.

He doesn't give you cake, but you do get free bread and wine in church. And confessional is sort of like grief counselling, but with less sympathy and advice, and more self-punishment.

OP, whatever you call it, how do you prove that there isnt some higher influence that we dont understand? (between, im agnostic)

Runa216 said:
Joelcool7 said:

Not trying to insult you. I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice and also get this offensive thread closed. Its not that I have anything against you as a user or writer. I just think that in this case you over stepped the boundaries and should probably take responsability for that action.

Okay, I only read about half this post, (the first half and the last couple paragraphs), but I want you to do one thing for me: Explain to me how questioning someone's beliefs is in any way offensive.  you keep assuming this thread is offensive, and that I'm stereotyping but All I've done time and time again is ask people to offer supporting evidence to their claims.  There's a lot of "God is this" and "Heaven is Real" and "These are the divine rules" claims being thrown around, all I'm asking is one thing: Prove it.  

If people are going to keep making bold claims, they're going to continuously tell people "this is the truth", I expect them to back it up with conclusive or at least supporting evidence.  Only one person in this entire thread has even attempted that (well, maybe two or three, but only one did so respectfully and in a manner befitting of the respect I offer him).   

Instead you're just proving one of my greatest criticisms of religion:  they can dish out the criticisms and "we want proof" attitude when dealing with science, but when that same burden of proof is turned to them, they are not only unable to deliver, but also hide under their veil of "Don't mock my faith" and we're left with yet another situation where you can't be honest with religion because it's considered taboo to question faith.  

@Runa216 I think you missed the entire point of Joelcool7's post(s)...it didnt really have much to do with religion, but rather about the nature of the topic in relation to the forum rules. Also this is not about being offensive or non offensive (although you have been offensive in some posts but thats not the point), this is about creating a thread to bait a specific group of people. And i think Joelcool7 is write on the mark here, but hey you didnt even read hes entire post.

I also dont believe staff should be treated differently from normal users, however its a bad reflection on the site when staff do things thats generally not promoted on the site.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

richardhutnik said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=133453

So, how exactly does believing there is a God control anyone?  Your reasoning is suspect, and your approach won't produce anything.  What happens when you go and try to prove that there is a God, is you hit the limits of human reasoning when trying to deal with issues like determinism vs free will.  Also, if you want there to be physical evidence, then how would any physical evidence prove anything, outside of there is some entity who can possibly defy the laws of physics.  And if such an entity does it, is the entity supposed to then be on call every time someone wants to set up an experiment, to provide the repeatability that the scientific method calls for?  Or, would it be ok to do it just one time, and then have future generations trust that the entity exists?

If you want proof that God exists, then come up with some sort of experiment you would like to see that would meet your measure of what it takes to believe, and then analyse such to show it is a valid experiment.  If you want just experiences, then I suggest going into the realm of paranormal and you will find a number of testimonials that would show there is weirdness out there.

I agree. Trying to disprove (or prove) the existence of god just leads to a series of philosophical and physical paradoxes which are no help to anyone and waste valuable research time.

I hope you can agree with me, however, that the existence of God as laid out in the Bible and Qu'ran is extremely unlikely (not impossible, because nothing is), especially considering how much those two accounts, each considered "true" by over a billion people, conflict.

the appendix and the rest are not part of not needed things! The appendix is needed for your helping your body fight sickness. And the Bible has not been changed, this is a quick and nonsense argument. Look at the dead sea scrolls, they and other documents have the complete Bible text in them. Look its been fun but like I said before its sounds like you have made up your mind. Gods word is the Bible and being God he can protect his word through the last 2000 years. If you believe in evolution like most, you have no hope, life is meaningless and you are worthless, your kids your money everything. I pray you search, not for a feeling, a religion but in the creator. I have to go, thanks for the debate, oh and what some of you are asking show me proof. The people following Jesus watching him doing all the great signs always wanted more later. You see if he came down today and showed you a great sign, tomorrow you would want another. thanks