By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What exactly is considered to be 'Milking'?

BTW, sorry for the late responses. I'm trying to use my PS3 browser. It takes a while to type

Around the Network
Jay520 said:

I wouldn't consider ODST to be a full-fledged title, but for the sake of the argument, let's say it is. That makes 3 Halos so far with another releasing next year. That makes 4 releases this gen.

As for 343 studious and their future with Halo. They are pretty experienced with the IP. They've been working with Bungie on Halo for over four years and there've been some ex-Bungie devs who went to 343. I think they'll do fine. But if they fail, then yes you could call Halo milked

The second & third paragraph is subjective. I would say four Halos/Uncharteds/AC this gen wouldn't constitute them being milked, nor would it cause a tarnish in quality, especially when consider the length of this generation. But that's my opinion.

"I wouldn't consider ODST to be a full-fledged title"

It was priced like one, just like Halo Wars was and Halo Anniversary will be.

As for Uncharted, I couldn't take a fourth one, I hope they keep it as a trilogy.

Gaming for me is a lot like eating, although I love it, it is possible to have too much. I can be comfortably full, bloated, or I have too much and throw up. If the food isn't that great then I end up losing my appetite as well. Of course there are some people with a much larger appetite than me who can eat far more, and then there are the people who just don't know when to stop and really let themself go.

brendude13 said:
Jay520 said:

I wouldn't consider ODST to be a full-fledged title, but for the sake of the argument, let's say it is. That makes 3 Halos so far with another releasing next year. That makes 4 releases this gen.

As for 343 studious and their future with Halo. They are pretty experienced with the IP. They've been working with Bungie on Halo for over four years and there've been some ex-Bungie devs who went to 343. I think they'll do fine. But if they fail, then yes you could call Halo milked

The second & third paragraph is subjective. I would say four Halos/Uncharteds/AC this gen wouldn't constitute them being milked, nor would it cause a tarnish in quality, especially when consider the length of this generation. But that's my opinion.

As for Uncharted, I couldn't take a fourth one, I hope they keep it as a trilogy.

Gaming for me is a lot like eating, although I love it, it is possible to have too much. I can be comfortably full, bloated, or I have too much and throw up. If the food isn't that great then I end up losing my appetite as well.

Actually you're wrong.. Halo CE:A is  set to be priced at 39.99.. not the full price of 59.99... Cuz the games 'Campaign' engine was not changed.. it was kept because long time fans dont want the gameplay to change.. they only wanted 2011 graphics.. so the campaign is only different in that it has modern graphics... The only part of the game with both a new engine and graphics is the Online Multi-player part..  The Halo CE:A will come with 2 DVD's... one with the Campaign and one for multiplayer online gamingw/ new maps from Halo CE and all maps from Reach I beleive..

AS I said 39.99 or less ..  http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Combat-Evolved-Anniversary-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYY5E

rf40928 said:

Id say if you're putting out alot of games and people are buying them you've just got a winner.. The only reason to develop games is to sell alot..  The majority of titles on any given console never sell enough to ever hope to get milked... Most of these titles have a single release and they are dead in the water..

Without using the same words "Milking" Id think the ultimate goal of any developer is to make a game that can "milk" money from someones pocket.. For the reason of being fair:  Any good or great game accomplishes this - just some to more of an extent then others.... If a game can be "milked" I suppose they have a winning formula..

Again, that is what the prevailing thought was with Guitar Hero and many series before it.  People buy games as a result of many factors (Pop culture, marketing, hype, word of mouth, reviews, personal fun experience).  Obviously, they have a winner in the sales department.  Which is exactly why this is making the game a perfect example for milking.   Halo 3 made Microsoft tons of money.    As did ODST, Reach, etc.    

When you begin to sacrifice popularity, success with pushing more releases out the door you are going right into milking country.    No the goal of every developer is not to milk their fans. For many,  It's to put out a high quality title, that is well received, well liked and remains in peoples thoughts, feelings, etc for a long time.   When you milk a title you do the exact opposite and kill those feelings of joy with negativity and criticism, eventually leading the downfall of the title.

Rpruett said:
rf40928 said:

Id say if you're putting out alot of games and people are buying them you've just got a winner.. The only reason to develop games is to sell alot..  The majority of titles on any given console never sell enough to ever hope to get milked... Most of these titles have a single release and they are dead in the water..

Without using the same words "Milking" Id think the ultimate goal of any developer is to make a game that can "milk" money from someones pocket.. For the reason of being fair:  Any good or great game accomplishes this - just some to more of an extent then others.... If a game can be "milked" I suppose they have a winning formula..

Again, that is what the prevailing thought was with Guitar Hero and many series before it.  People buy games as a result of many factors (Pop culture, marketing, hype, word of mouth, reviews, personal fun experience).  Obviously, they have a winner in the sales department.  Which is exactly why this is making the game a perfect example for milking.   Halo 3 made Microsoft tons of money.    As did ODST, Reach, etc.    

When you begin to sacrifice popularity, success with pushing more releases out the door you are going right into milking country.    No the goal of every developer is not to milk their fans. For many,  It's to put out a high quality title, that is well received, well liked and remains in peoples thoughts, feelings, etc for a long time.   When you milk a title you do the exact opposite and kill those feelings of joy with negativity and criticism, eventually leading the downfall of the title.

I agree with developers wanting quality, but you have to admit most developers never find that formula and even when they "try" they sometimes lose that formula..  Im sure the guys who made Duke Nukem thought they had a winner.. its not like they tried to fail.. the game seems to be solid in most apsects - but its didnt sell well.. In this apsect it failed and we can only assume something was wrong.. even if the developer felt they really put alot into it.. You also im sure recognize that some games are pretty good and just never sell...

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Jay520 said:

Gaming for me is a lot like eating, although I love it, it is possible to have too much. I can be comfortably full, bloated, or I have too much and throw up. If the food isn't that great then I end up losing my appetite as well. Of course there are some people with a much larger appetite than me who can eat far more, and then there are the people who just don't know when to stop and really let themself go.

I believe Halo Aniversery will be $40. Halo Wars was a different genre. It appealed to a different audience, RTS fans. Therefore it didn't cause franchise fautigue because it was a new experience. As for ODST, screw it! I give up. ODST was a milk fest. There, you happy? But that's the only one.

You crazy bro, I can't wait for Uncharted 4.

After UC3 releases, I better not see you anticipating UC4. If I do, there will be hell to pay!

Jay520 said:
brendude13 said:
Jay520 said:

I believe Halo Aniversery will be $40. Halo Wars was a different genre. It appealed to a different audience, RTS fans. Therefore it didn't cause franchise fautigue because it was a new experience. As for ODST, screw it! I give up. ODST was a milk fest. There, you happy? But that's the only one.

You crazy bro, I can't wait for Uncharted 4.

After UC3 releases, I better not see you anticipating UC4. If I do, there will be hell to pay!

Yep, Halo CE:A is gonna be 39.99 plus tax.. or 39.96 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Combat-Evolved-Anniversary-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYY5E .. it has two DVD's..

Well yearly CoD games are clearly milking!

Wait...what do you mean there's been like 100x more Mario games than CoD games?? Mario games aren't milking, they're too amazing to be milking.

I'm lactose intolerant.

I really only consider IP's as milkable and not really franchises. To me milking is when you use an IP in a completely different situation because you know it'll sell well based on name alone. If it's minimal and works for the character I can see it as a cross-over like Kratos in Mortal Kombat but there are also ones that don't fit at all and clearly the company is just milking the character like Kratos in Modnation Racers. Therefore yes I would consider Mario to be the most obvious example of milking, but that's not because Nintendo is particularly devoid of ideas or anything, I assume that any company would do the same thing if they had an IP as popular and long lived as Mario.