Forums - Gaming Discussion - What exactly is considered to be 'Milking'?

The term "milking" also describes a successful franchise of a company you don't like

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
To me milking is releasing as many games in a franchise as possible in a short period of time, for as many systems as possible, not trying at all to focus on quality.

Basically the stuff people love to throw around as being milked like COD, Assassins Creed, and Halo are not milked. They are highly successful, profitable, and get great critical acclaim. A better example is something like Guitar Hero which was releasing a new "game" every 3 months that was basically just a track pack and they were trying to sell it for full price.

Nothing wrong with releasing extra games on handhelds or other consoles, there is a demand for them, people want console franchises on their handheld, if there are 2 games released on home consoles and 2 games released on handhelds within the space of 4 years, I wouldn't say that the franchise has annual releases.

Remember, you can not milk a franchise. You can only milk THE FANS. Milking is not treating the franchise like a milk cow, it is treating THE FANS like milk cows.

The great problem is not that some franchise is ruined, the problem is that THE FAN gets ripped off. The ruination of the franchise is an after effect of the fans being pissed.

It is looking to get more money out of each fan, rather than increasing the number of fans. You can only increase the number of fans by making a product that more people like. That's hard to do. But you can also make more money by finding "new business models" that amount to charging existing fans more for the same thing. In the short term only, this is much easier.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I see people have slightly different opinions as to what they consider to be milking.

See I think I agree to Street Fighter being a milked franchise. I mean 3 different versions of Street Fighter IV in 3 years is definitely too much.

lol I mean I remember bak last year when Forza 4 was announced, some people here said something like 'omgz Forza is getting milked" and I was just loling since if Forza was milking, then Gran Turismo must also be milked which isnt true.

Street fighter 4 is the best example.

Street FIghter 4
Super Street Fighter 4
Super Street fighter 4: Arcade Edition
Super street fighter 4 3DS

I mean come on.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

I wouldnt consider arcade addition as a different version, Its not like they were charging you the full price, its just a 15 dollar DLC, and the 3ds version is still kinda a port. Now Mvs.C3 is disgusting, cant defend that

To all people who claim COD, Halo, & AC To be milked:

What if fans insist on having more experiences? Would it be wrong for companies to meet the demands of their consumers? Should they neglect their consumers, and put the series on a hault, going against the will of consumers? As long as a franchise stays high in quality and sales, a company has every right to 'milk' a franchise. Producers will be happy, Developers will be happy, and most importantly, fans will be happy. The only people upset are the ones who pose no involvement in the game whatsover.

Jay520 said:
To all people who claim COD, Halo, & AC To be milked:

What if fans insist on having more experiences? Would it be wrong for companies to meet the demands of their consumers? Should they neglect their consumers, and put the series on a hault, going against the will of consumers? As long as a franchise stays high in quality and sales, a company has every right to 'milk' a franchise. Producers will be happy, Developers will be happy, and most importantly, fans will be happy. The only people upset are the ones who pose no involvement in the game whatsover.

I am not interested in gran turismo. But if sony were to only focus each and every resource they have on gran turismo and release it every year, then I would be pissed at Sony as well. Microsoft can be making age of empires on the 360 and there are several other IPs they could have been concentrating on ( for example: Alan wake, lost odyssey etc ). But instead they concentrate on halo. They aren't listening to their fan-base, they are just listening to the sales, that's all.

They are acting like a publisher not like a platform publisher.

About the other ips, well, franchise fatigue. I am tired of call of duty and now they also cancelled true crime. Its fortunate that some other publisher has taken the franchise in their hands, otherwise it would have been another loss of a great IP.

Milking is bad for people who are not fans as well as fans, but fans won't feel it till the quality declines. Call of duty hasn't changed one bit since modern warfare and that's not even an exaggeration.

mZuzek loves to pre-order