By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What exactly is considered to be 'Milking'?

Completely subjective

Around the Network

Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition

Milking to me means basically releasing the same game every so often with little to no difference in the previous version. ex.) Mario Party, WWE SvR, Guitar Hero, The Wii branded games and all of the other console spin off of it, and CoD.

Any games with regular releases that I don't like :P

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Splitting StarCraft II into 3 separate games seemed like milking to me, I was looking forward to it so much but never got it. I'm hoping it'll be packed together at some point even if that means I'll be past 40 by that point :P

“When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life." - author unknown

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
I consider too many sequels in a relatively short period of time as "milking"

i think this is milking = D

It's like COD, yearly releases provide so many sales, they're just getting every last bit of profit until it dies out.

To me milking is releasing as many games in a franchise as possible in a short period of time, for as many systems as possible, not trying at all to focus on quality.

Basically the stuff people love to throw around as being milked like COD, Assassins Creed, and Halo are not milked. They are highly successful, profitable, and get great critical acclaim. A better example is something like Guitar Hero which was releasing a new "game" every 3 months that was basically just a track pack and they were trying to sell it for full price.

milking in terms of games is not a real term to me and thats why theres so many different variations of the same meaning in this thread. but ill agree with d21 lewis the most.

The term "milking" also describes a successful franchise of a company you don't like

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’