By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Prison population. Atheists: 1%, Christians: 75%

Player1x3 said:
Xen said:
Player1x3 said:
Xen said:
You make sweeping generalizations against atheists and then claim that they are too self-righteous... the bolded and the bracketed are quite ironic and self-defeating for you.

Nothing more, nothing less.

But they are self righteous, VERY self righteous. Whats ironic is that they dont beleive in any moral laws and still manage to be like that. Check out my thread on happiness between beleivers and non believers. How much of them say ''they live in truth'' and how everyone else is ignorant :/

You can't make such a huge generalization about anything and neither can I. For fact, I strongly dislike most religions but you don't see me describing any and all of their followers as sheep (just an example). I don't exactly see how a lack of faith in god and morals are linked - surely, one is not required for the other - and if it is, why?

Maybe I did generalize a bit, but huge majority of atheists  I know (granted, i know most of them on internet only) are very self righteous. I never said all of them are like that

Here's a good chunk of your problem... forums are never a good gauge...

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
Rath said:
Player1x3 said:
Porcupine_I said:
Galaki said:
Porcupine_I said:
These aren't real Atheist! Real Atheists don't commit crime!

Yeah. Real Atheists don't flip flop and convert when they are in trouble.

Of course not! For a real Atheist there is nothing to convert to!

Actually, you would be suprised. People who become atheists do so because they got picked on in high school, for an example. Rummage through an atheist's emotional baggage and you will find a pile of leftover teenage angst, a few cases of repressed rage at mommy and daddy, and an overpowering urge to feel superior wrapped around a stupendous amount of self-loathing.Its pretty easy to be an atheist when you are in your teens and 20's. Mostly because of the reasons I  mentioned and because they want to rebel against the community, society or their family so they become the opposite of what they are.But I knnow quite the few cases when a person, that had close-death experience or one of their relatives did, begins to beleive in God, higher power and afterlife. so, really atheism is a pretty empty and shallow belief. I would like to see a person 5 minutes away from death and say ''there is no afterlife''.

Religious people on the other hand are ready to go trough everything for their belief and stick to it till death. Jews and Christians are best example of this.

This is perhaps the most ignorant post I've ever read and that's saying something. You clearly have no understanding of atheism and simply want to put down anybody who does not share your beliefs.

Relax, I meant no insult. But the stuff I said are true.Not for all atheists but for a large majority or at least these ''internet atheists''

The "stuff you said" seems a lot more like an uninformed opinion than something you can just claim "is true".  Got any actual links to studies, research or anything remotely close to proof or evidence to substantiate your "truth"?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Player1x3 said:
Rath said:
Player1x3 said:
Porcupine_I said:
Galaki said:
Porcupine_I said:

Actually, you would be suprised. People who become atheists do so because they got picked on in high school, for an example. Rummage through an atheist's emotional baggage and you will find a pile of leftover teenage angst, a few cases of repressed rage at mommy and daddy, and an overpowering urge to feel superior wrapped around a stupendous amount of self-loathing.Its pretty easy to be an atheist when you are in your teens and 20's. Mostly because of the reasons I  mentioned and because they want to rebel against the community, society or their family so they become the opposite of what they are.But I knnow quite the few cases when a person, that had close-death experience or one of their relatives did, begins to beleive in God, higher power and afterlife. so, really atheism is a pretty empty and shallow belief. I would like to see a person 5 minutes away from death and say ''there is no afterlife''.

Religious people on the other hand are ready to go trough everything for their belief and stick to it till death. Jews and Christians are best example of this.

This is perhaps the most ignorant post I've ever read and that's saying something. You clearly have no understanding of atheism and simply want to put down anybody who does not share your beliefs.

Relax, I meant no insult. But the stuff I said are true.Not for all atheists but for a large majority or at least these ''internet atheists''

The "stuff you said" seems a lot more like an uninformed opinion than something you can just claim "is true".  Got any actual links to studies, research or anything remotely close to proof or evidence to substantiate your "truth"?

I speak from experience. So there you go

Player1x3 said:
Porcupine_I said:
Player1x3 said:
Porcupine_I said:
Player1x3 said:
Porcupine_I said:
Galaki said:
Porcupine_I said:

Actually, you would be suprised. People who become atheists do so because they got picked on in high school, for an example. Rummage through an atheist's emotional baggage and you will find a pile of leftover teenage angst, a few cases of repressed rage at mommy and daddy, and an overpowering urge to feel superior wrapped around a stupendous amount of self-loathing.Its pretty easy to be an atheist when you are in your teens and 20's. Mostly because of the reasons I  mentioned and because they want to rebel against the community, society or their family so they become the opposite of what they are.But I knnow quite the few cases when a person, that had close-death experience or one of their relatives did, begins to beleive in , higher power and afterlife. so, really atheism is a pretty empty and shallow belief. I would like to see a person 5 minutes away from death and say ''there is no afterlife''.

you describe pretty good what i mean with "not a real Atheist"

and of course religious people stick to their belief, because it's easy. they can commit whatever "sin" they want and go to confession and then everything will be forgiven and forgotten after 3 hail marys. they also believe they go to heaven when they die, so they don't care if life is hard for them, they don't care to enjoy living because everything will be fine later. And religious people commit crime, because they don't respect laws that have been made by people.

see? i can generalize and twist and talk in absolutes as well!

Not really, its not that simple. They cant comit whatever sin they want and confess it, there are ''immortal sins'' and the TRUE confession means you have to feel sorry for your sins, not just confess them. And thinking there is afetrlife has nothing o do with not enjoying life. Religious people also arent as near as self loathing as atheists

You didnt generalize as much as you completly missed the point of my post based on your complete ignorance of the subject

i did not miss your point. i just dismissed it as you were being ignorant of my subject that these are not true Athesist you talk about. True Atheists would never do such a thing!

What are you talking about? What things?  What ''true atheists''?  Atheists dont even have a moral code or any code of that matter, they dont even believe in morals (and manage to be extremly self-righteous at the same time). True atheist wouldnt believe in God. Thats it !

so you agree with what i said in the first place?

"For a real Atheist there is nothing to convert to! "

then i don't know why you are arguing with me at all when you already know i am right?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

richardhutnik said:

Atheists can have morals.  ATHEISM, however, is a lack of a belief , and contains nothing except a negation.

This is the kind of statement that's so faulty I honestly don't know where to start explaining it.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

mor·al   [mawr-uhl, mor-] Show IPA
adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.
2. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.
3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.
4. capable of conforming to the rules of right conduct: a moral being.
5. conforming to the rules of right conduct ( opposed to immoral): a moral man.

...just though some of ya'll might need to see the actual definition of moral.

Runa216 said:
richardhutnik said:

Atheists can have morals.  ATHEISM, however, is a lack of a belief , and contains nothing except a negation.

This is the kind of statement that's so faulty I honestly don't know where to start explaining it.  

So, you would argue atheism is a system of belief, which offers a foundation to derive anything from it, in and of itself?  What do you consider atheism to be, outside of a lack of a belief in a God or gods?  How can a system that lacks a belief in something provide a basis for anything?  As I said atheists can have morals, they just have to plug into something else from which to get these moral from, even if it is themselves.

Let's offer a similar comparison.  A child stops believing in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.  The realize there are not real.  After doing this, what does a person gain?  They don't gain anything, they lose something.  

In the cause of atheism, individuals who drop their theism, or never had it, could end up going in any number of directions, whether it be Communism, Secular Humanism, Objectivism, or Nihilism (or a number of other ones).  Each of these system produce very different set of morals and beliefs, and values.  The person would then derive their morals and values from these other systems, and be identified from these systems as the basis of their morals.

Runa216 said:
richardhutnik said:

How so? Atheism is simply not believing in any deity, I don't see how that statement is faulty.

Runa216 said:
richardhutnik said:

actually I have no idea what problem you see with this statement. i honestly don't know where you could see something wrong with it

setsunatenshi said:
Runa216 said:
richardhutnik said:

actually I have no idea what problem you see with this statement. i honestly don't know where you could see something wrong with it

Because Atheism isn't a negation, and the implication it is is insulting.  Although to be fair part of the problem is the standard definition of Atheism and the fact, like Agnostic, it is a word the developed to define something besides being religious - i.e. if you're not religious your an Atheist.

The problem is your modern Athesist sees the situation reversed.  We are educated, informed and believe in what has been proven to be the case - i.e there is no negation because we don't even consider ourselves compared to religious people.  We believe in evidence and science.  There is no "disbelief" involved.  Religion to a modern atheist is simply something that either has been disproven enough in terms of flaws in religous tracts, etc. or is so general and "unprovable" that it is simply ignored unless some evidence is provided.

The problem IMHO is that the technical definition of an Atheist now lags well behind what an Atheist actually is.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...