By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Prison population. Atheists: 1%, Christians: 75%

Why do people seem so damn insistent that Atheists have no morals? That's one of the most infuriating things I ever deal with when it comes to religious types. Doing kind things to people around you, being generous, and generally not being an asshat is NOT a religiously exclusive trait. The only difference between people who are religious doing nice things and atheists doing nice things is that the religious types do it becuase they think it'll get them into heaven, but atheists do because they want to. so ask yourself, what moral compass is more pure?

Seriously, I honestly can';t think of a more ignorant, rude, pretentious, Arrogant thing for religious people to say. That's worse than all the atheists claiming Religion is the cause of all wars.

I'm an atheist and I'm probably the nicest person I know. yeah, I get in arguments all the time, but you can't deny that any time dealing with people on the internet will make ANYONE rage so hard their floor will turn into lava. Me in person is much nicer than me online.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Why is this surprising, someone who believes in god to begin with cant be fully right in the head. Its no wonder they would be more likely to commit a crime than someone who doesnt believe in god.

Marks said:
80% of Americans and 75% of Canadians are Christian...so no shock there that 75% of prisoners are Christians. That's right in line with the percentages of the population. And I'll re-iterate what everyone above me already said, many prisoners find religion in prison.

I will say that if only 1% of prisoners are atheists then that is pretty low since about 15% of both Americans and Canadians are non-religious (according to Wikipedia).

+1

Runa216 said:
Why do people seem so damn insistent that Atheists have no morals? That's one of the most infuriating things I ever deal with when it comes to religious types. Doing kind things to people around you, being generous, and generally not being an asshat is NOT a religiously exclusive trait. The only difference between people who are religious doing nice things and atheists doing nice things is that the religious types do it becuase they think it'll get them into heaven, but atheists do because they want to. so ask yourself, what moral compass is more pure?

Seriously, I honestly can';t think of a more ignorant, rude, pretentious, Arrogant thing for religious people to say. That's worse than all the atheists claiming Religion is the cause of all wars.

I'm an atheist and I'm probably the nicest person I know. yeah, I get in arguments all the time, but you can't deny that any time dealing with people on the internet will make ANYONE rage so hard their floor will turn into lava. Me in person is much nicer than me online.

Atheists can have morals.  ATHEISM, however, is a lack of a belief , and contains nothing except a negation.

As for your argument that the ONLY reason why religious people do things, is that somehow it is because it will get them into heaven, totally negates forms of evangelical Christianity, and other religious beliefs where the person is said to get to heaven not by what they do.  Also, what you speak of ends up being a focal point of the book of Job, where Job was argued that he did good deeds because he got something from God from it.  Which then leads to exactly why anyone does good.  A Christian basis for doing good is out of love for God.  And to desire to express this love, not to get to some destination but out of love.  In the New Testament texts, there is a verse that speaks about how someone can say the love God who they have not seen, when they don't love those who are made in God's image, who they can see.  Also, one can argue if one loves someone, they also love their kids.  

So, back to why the heck anyone does good anyhow.  Why would someone without the connection I said above, who does it merely for a moral code, do it?  Is it to avoid the pain of guilt?  Is it because of the warm fuzzy they get?  Or is it that they have pride, and their identity is at stake if they don't do what their moral code says.  So, back to your point, who has the more pure moral compass, the former I described who does things out of love for someone, or the other who is trying to avoid guilt, gain pleasure, or who has pride in their identity?

Player1x3 said:
Porcupine_I said:
Galaki said:
Porcupine_I said:
These aren't real Atheist! Real Atheists don't commit crime!

Yeah. Real Atheists don't flip flop and convert when they are in trouble.

Of course not! For a real Atheist there is nothing to convert to!

Actually, you would be suprised. People who become atheists do so because they got picked on in high school, for an example. Rummage through an atheist's emotional baggage and you will find a pile of leftover teenage angst, a few cases of repressed rage at mommy and daddy, and an overpowering urge to feel superior wrapped around a stupendous amount of self-loathing.Its pretty easy to be an atheist when you are in your teens and 20's. Mostly because of the reasons I  mentioned and because they want to rebel against the community, society or their family so they become the opposite of what they are.But I knnow quite the few cases when a person, that had close-death experience or one of their relatives did, begins to beleive in God, higher power and afterlife. so, really atheism is a pretty empty and shallow belief. I would like to see a person 5 minutes away from death and say ''there is no afterlife''.

Religious people on the other hand are ready to go trough everything for their belief and stick to it till death. Jews and Christians are best example of this.

This is perhaps the most ignorant post I've ever read and that's saying something. You clearly have no understanding of atheism and simply want to put down anybody who does not share your beliefs.

Around the Network

Doesn't surprise me, although there's a lot of factors involved in that statistic and it's not just that Atheists don't commit crimes. But if you really look at the background to the inmates, etc. plus the countries then the statistic should be expected really.

Also, for those saying Atheism is a religion or a negation you clearly don't understand the term. TBH Given Agnostic and Atheist were created relative to religious belief that's perhaps not a surprise. Really we need a new word based on modern, educated so called "Atheists" that better describes what it means.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Xen said:
You make sweeping generalizations against atheists and then claim that they are too self-righteous... the bolded and the bracketed are quite ironic and self-defeating for you.

Nothing more, nothing less.

But they are self righteous, VERY self righteous. Whats ironic is that they dont beleive in any moral laws and still manage to be like that. Check out my thread on happiness between beleivers and non believers. How much of them say ''they live in truth'' and how everyone else is ignorant :/

Rath said:
Player1x3 said:
Porcupine_I said:
Galaki said:
Porcupine_I said:
These aren't real Atheist! Real Atheists don't commit crime!

Yeah. Real Atheists don't flip flop and convert when they are in trouble.

Of course not! For a real Atheist there is nothing to convert to!

Actually, you would be suprised. People who become atheists do so because they got picked on in high school, for an example. Rummage through an atheist's emotional baggage and you will find a pile of leftover teenage angst, a few cases of repressed rage at mommy and daddy, and an overpowering urge to feel superior wrapped around a stupendous amount of self-loathing.Its pretty easy to be an atheist when you are in your teens and 20's. Mostly because of the reasons I  mentioned and because they want to rebel against the community, society or their family so they become the opposite of what they are.But I knnow quite the few cases when a person, that had close-death experience or one of their relatives did, begins to beleive in God, higher power and afterlife. so, really atheism is a pretty empty and shallow belief. I would like to see a person 5 minutes away from death and say ''there is no afterlife''.

Religious people on the other hand are ready to go trough everything for their belief and stick to it till death. Jews and Christians are best example of this.

This is perhaps the most ignorant post I've ever read and that's saying something. You clearly have no understanding of atheism and simply want to put down anybody who does not share your beliefs.

Relax, I meant no insult. But the stuff I said are true.Not for all atheists but for a large majority or at least these ''internet atheists''

Player1x3 said:
Xen said:
You make sweeping generalizations against atheists and then claim that they are too self-righteous... the bolded and the bracketed are quite ironic and self-defeating for you.

But they are self righteous, VERY self righteous. Whats ironic is that they dont beleive in any moral laws and still manage to be like that. Check out my thread on happiness between beleivers and non believers. How much of them say ''they live in truth'' and how everyone else is ignorant :/

You can't make such a huge generalization about anything and neither can I. For fact, I strongly dislike most religions but you don't see me describing any and all of their followers as sheep (just an example). I don't exactly see how a lack of faith in god and morals are linked - surely, one is not required for the other - and if it is, why?

Xen said:
Player1x3 said:
Xen said:

You can't make such a huge generalization about anything and neither can I. For fact, I strongly dislike most religions but you don't see me describing any and all of their followers as sheep (just an example). I don't exactly see how a lack of faith in god and morals are linked - surely, one is not required for the other - and if it is, why?

Maybe I did generalize a bit, but huge majority of atheists  I know (granted, i know most of them on internet only) are very self righteous. I never said all of them are like that