By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Rumor) french site strikes again: New 3DS model in 2012 with dual sticks

Mr Khan said:
kitler53 said:
Mr Khan said:
kitler53 said:

1. that's a great video of standing still...     so in this control scheme if i wanted to ... let say .. turn around, i'd physically have to turn around alla the "killer freaks" model?  good luck with that, because i promise you ...

2. ...it's not fun.  i played kz2 with this form of camera control added. it's actually the exact opposite of fun ... as in infuriatingly frustrating.

Large turnarounds are the only weakness there, however. I was skeptical of using the tilt controls at all in OoT3DS, but i found for fine-tuned aiming it was almost perfect, and i only switched to analogue aiming if i had to swing all the way around.

well, answer me this first as i haven't play the 3DS version of OoT ... is the tilt controls for camera just in aiming/first-person mode as the video milky link showed or is it throughout the whole game?  milky is suggesting it that tilt controls can completely replace the function of an analog camera control and i just don't think so.  the aiming mode that milky linked is (for lack of a better word) a mini-game ... a small portion of gameplay that does not represent the core gameplay mechanics.

Yes, it only applies to aiming, but in Starfox 64 its one of the two control schemes, so we'll need some firsthand testimony from someone who gets StarFox for the 3DS to see if it really works in a more primary way (i still have Starfox 64 right here in my desk, so i don't see the point in buying it, even though i did buy Zelda...)

now that is something i can definently get behind.  to me it would be like the dual six-axis and move control schemes in killzone3.  75% of the time i just use the six-axis because using the move is frankly a lot of work that can get pretty tiring and often times i'm just not up for it.  ...but everyone once and a while it's kind of nice. 

but thanks for the heads up, now i'm interested to hear those reviews as they come in.

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:
kitler53 said:
Mr Khan said:
kitler53 said:
milkyjoe said:
kitler53 said:
milkyjoe said:

Yeah, and then you remember that the 3DS offers gyroscopic control, which for some reason wasn't even mentioned and that whole point of 'relying on the touchscreen' is rendered moot...

Those two added things put it a lot closer to the Wii's perfectly functional single analog control than the PSP's incredibly awkward single analog control.

tilt camera controls?  mind linking me a video that shows this off cause i'm having trouble imagining it as anything but terribly akward.  tilt in a driving game, hell ya but something like zelda or 3D mario ... not seeing it.

Guess what, I'm able to link you to a video of it being used in OoT...

Click

1. that's a great video of standing still...     so in this control scheme if i wanted to ... let say .. turn around, i'd physically have to turn around alla the "killer freaks" model?  good luck with that, because i promise you ...

2. ...it's not fun.  i played kz2 with this form of camera control added. it's actually the exact opposite of fun ... as in infuriatingly frustrating.

Large turnarounds are the only weakness there, however. I was skeptical of using the tilt controls at all in OoT3DS, but i found for fine-tuned aiming it was almost perfect, and i only switched to analogue aiming if i had to swing all the way around.

well, answer me this first as i haven't play the 3DS version of OoT ... is the tilt controls for camera just in aiming/first-person mode as the video milky link showed or is it throughout the whole game?  milky is suggesting it that tilt controls can completely replace the function of an analog camera control and i just don't think so.  the aiming mode that milky linked is (for lack of a better word) a mini-game ... a small portion of gameplay that does not represent the core gameplay mechanics.

@the bolded, you'll have to show me where I said that. What I linked you to was a video of OoT using tilt controls for aiming in first person, which is a very similar concept to using the Wii remote for aiming in first person in Twilight Princess, it isn't used throughout the majority of either game as you still use Z-targeting in normal play which of course moves the camera automatically, but you should really know this, as it's one of the most basic elements of 3D Zelda games...

The whole point is that the 3DS isn't similar to single analog devices like the PSP or N64 whereby you had to use buttons or rely on third parties poorly implemented auto cameras, which ultimately led to the need for a second stick. You have the option of using the touchscreen or the gyroscope instead, hell developers could even use the option of the built in camera for face tracking like that 3D thing on the DSi if they so desired. Option is the key word in all of that, meaning a second stick isn't as essential here.

to the top paragraph - rainbird had a nice long post to which i agreed with and added an extra sentence for with you called his argument "moot" because the 3DS has gyroscopes.

to the second paragraph - the z-targeting in zelda is a poorly implemented auto camera system, at least when you compare it to dual analog camera controls.  does it make the game unplayable?  of course not.  but at least for me (i guy very used to dual analog controls) it makes zelda feel very clumbsy and frustrating to control and part of why i don't really like the series anymore.  okay yeah, nintendo's auto camera system isn't nearly as terrible as what third parties have come up with but that doesn't make it good.

kitler53 said:
milkyjoe said:

@the bolded, you'll have to show me where I said that. What I linked you to was a video of OoT using tilt controls for aiming in first person, which is a very similar concept to using the Wii remote for aiming in first person in Twilight Princess, it isn't used throughout the majority of either game as you still use Z-targeting in normal play which of course moves the camera automatically, but you should really know this, as it's one of the most basic elements of 3D Zelda games...

The whole point is that the 3DS isn't similar to single analog devices like the PSP or N64 whereby you had to use buttons or rely on third parties poorly implemented auto cameras, which ultimately led to the need for a second stick. You have the option of using the touchscreen or the gyroscope instead, hell developers could even use the option of the built in camera for face tracking like that 3D thing on the DSi if they so desired. Option is the key word in all of that, meaning a second stick isn't as essential here.

to the top paragraph - rainbird had a nice long post to which i agreed with and added an extra sentence for with you called his argument "moot" because the 3DS has gyroscopes.

to the second paragraph - the z-targeting in zelda is a poorly implemented auto camera system, at least when you compare it to dual analog camera controls.  does it make the game unplayable?  of course not.  but at least for me (i guy very used to dual analog controls) it makes zelda feel very clumbsy and frustrating to control and part of why i don't really like the series anymore.  okay yeah, nintendo's auto camera system isn't nearly as terrible as what third parties have come up with but that doesn't make it good.

Erm, yes... because his whole argument was based around the 3DS 'relying on the touchscreen' for camera controls and thus being in need of a second stick, when there are other options (there's that word again) that negate that need, as I've pointed out.

Z-targeting is one of the most influential and famous targeting systems ever created. I don't think we need to say much more on that, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it is complete bollocks.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:

Erm, yes... because his whole argument was based around the 3DS 'relying on the touchscreen' for camera controls and thus being in need of a second stick, when there are other options (there's that word again) that negate that need, as I've pointed out.

I'll admit that I forgot about gyroscope controls when I wrote my original post, but you haven't made any response regarding the issues I pointed out with it.

As such, it remains unproven as a viable option for being used as a main control method. You can have all the options you like, but if neither of them are good enough, then the argument comes full circle back to where it started, namely that the 3DS doesn't have good enough controls.

If Starfox turns out to control brilliantly with the motion sensors, then I'll agree that it is a viable option. But I doubt it's easy enough to use and versatile enough to replace an analogue stick.

Rainbird said:
milkyjoe said:

I'll admit that I forgot about gyroscope controls when I wrote my original post, but you haven't made any response regarding the issues I pointed out with it.

As such, it remains unproven as a viable option for being used as a main control method. You can have all the options you like, but if neither of them are good enough, then the argument comes full circle back to where it started, namely that the 3DS doesn't have good enough controls.

If Starfox turns out to control brilliantly with the motion sensors, then I'll agree that it is a viable option. But I doubt it's easy enough to use and versatile enough to replace an analogue stick.

You mean the car travel thing? I'd respond to that by asking when are people likely to use their 3DS in their car? I'd assume the answer would most likely be on long journeys. Now, when people travel on long journeys by car, they tend not to stick to minor bumpy roads, they take the motorway/freeway/whatever the hell you want to call it. Motorways are typically long, straight roads with very few turns, if any at all (like those long, vast highways in America), and certainly very few sharp turns.

I'd suggest that those kind of car journeys wouldn't cause too much of a problem for gyroscopic controls.

Now, of course there may be circumstances where it wouldn't be advisable to use them whilst in a car. So, if you find yourself in a rally car whilst it's flying around a bumpy, twisting circuit, then perhaps it wouldn't be the best time to use it. But then the question is, how many people is that likely to affect? We're talking a very niche market here...

VGChartz

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:

You mean the car travel thing? I'd respond to that by asking when are people likely to use their 3DS in their car? I'd assume the answer would most likely be on long journeys. Now, when people travel on long journeys by car, they tend not to stick to minor bumpy roads, they take the motorway/freeway/whatever the hell you want to call it. Motorways are typically long, straight roads with very few turns, if any at all (like those long, vast highways in America), and certainly very few sharp turns.

I'd suggest that those kind of car journeys wouldn't cause too much of a problem for gyroscopic controls.

And how long would a long journey be exactly? I'd imagine alot of people would use their handheld for gaming on a 40 minute drive, a journey which certainly doesn't have to happen on long stretches of straight road. It goes for busses as well. I used to take the bus to school, which was a good 30 minute drive, I could certainly have used a good handheld on those boring trips.

Motion controls also don't play well with the 3D because of the tight viewing angle, meaning if developers decide to use it as a main control method, they might as well not make the game 3D.

All the best selling Nintendo games don't require dual analog.

However didn't Luigi's Mansion 1 on Gamecube use dual analog? The torch was controlled with the C-Stick. That might hurt the sequel a little.

dual analogue on 3ds would suck nuts. if they added a 2nd stick where would it be positioned? if it went where the 4 buttons go i'd be heaps upset. and if it was arranged like a 360 controller it would be painful using the 2nd stick.

holding the 3ds is no where near as comfortable as holding a xbox360 controller as is. dual analogues would give ya serious cramps in your hands. seriously try and imagine a second stick when holding one. i like just one stick and buttons i can mash on the other side. it's a handheld for short bursts of mario/pokemon goodness.

a fps on any handheld would lick nuts also. that's why the vita fails imo. any screen under 32 inches makes first person shooters a joke to play.

Not good enough, I won't be satisfied until there are THREE analog sticks!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.