By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So who believes in Nintendo? Or how about buying stock in their company!

Tagged games:

I was going to make a thread about questions over Nintendo stock but I'll just post my question in this thread and hopefully someone can clarify it for me.

I wanted to know what the difference in stock was for Nintendo. I know Nintendo is traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange but they also have some kind of stock offering in the US. Is there a difference in these stocks or is the US version just reflected on the Japanese offering? That wasn't the best way to word my question but I was wondering if someone can explain it better.  Does some US company just buy the shares off the Tokyo Exchange and sells them in the US?

Around the Network

No, I wouldn't invest. It's a sinking ship imho. Wii U won't have the novelty which the wii had and will fail IMO. 3ds will do fantastically well though and will sell well over 100m units I think, but it won't be enough...

there are 2 issues with Nintendo that needs to address ASAP before I would even consider investing.

1.... how will nintendo response to not only sony handheld, but Apple who is targetting the casual market that had been exclusvely Nintendo for decades.

2.... WiiU, could be the biggest mistake in Gaming since VirtualBoy.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
there are 2 issues with Nintendo that needs to address ASAP before I would even consider investing.

1.... how will nintendo response to not only sony handheld, but Apple who is targetting the casual market that had been exclusvely Nintendo for decades.

2.... WiiU, could be the biggest mistake in Gaming since VirtualBoy.

1) The 3DS will likely sell (roughly) 15 million units in its first 12 months even though Nintendo made a series of mistakes they have acknowledged and corrected. Hardly a sign that Nintendo needs to worry significantly about Apple or Sony for this iteration of handhelds; and, being that Nintendo's stock is cyclic in nature, you should probably sell long before Nintendo's next generation of handheld systems is released.

2) Isn't the biggest mistake in gaming since the VirtualBoy the PS3 which cost Sony nearly 2/3 of their marketshare and billions of dollars in the process? Isn't this the same thing that people were saying about the Wii?

Realistically, the Wii U will not be the same disruptive system that the Wii was but neither was the PS2; and the reason the PS2 was so dominant was that it was a system that was the successor to the most popular console of the previous generation, was a good enough improvement over what had come before that people bought into it, and it had a 12 to 18 month head start on its main competition to get control of the market and solidify its lead.

While it is possible that there could be an unexpected shift that dramatically changes everything, I think it is unlikely that any console manufacturer will sell less than 50% of their current generation system sales; and a low end performance of 50 or 60 million units is not that bad, especially for a company like Nintendo who can be so profitable selling games on their own systems.