By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should weaker countries invest more in their militaries?

Should weaker countries invest more in their militaries to make themselves stronger?

Yes 18 26.09%

No 51 73.91%

Total:69

Now if say your Georgia, or the Ukraine, or some country like that bordering Russia or even China....

I'd highly consider upping my military just to make things more annoying for them.

Though even then, Russia seems to have moved too a "Political corruption" angle for most soviet block countries... while China has moved into "Buy your way into resource rich countries by overpaying the west."

So..

Around the Network

You've presented no real alternative. There's common rule, if you're not paying your own army, you'll pay someone's else... eventually. So it doesn't matter what you choose, you still have to pay one way or another =)

Kasz216 said:

Russia, has stagnated a lot tech wise, so Russia you could get out ahead of probably...

It has been stagnating tech wise for a 1000 years now, or at least perceived as such. Has been repeated so often it has lost its meaning.

No. Too expensive. Look at Costa Rica, the only nation without a military and the most successful state in Central America. Or Switzerland, neutral country (with military, but policy of no intervention) and a highly successful nation, too. It's not really necessary to have a huge military.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Player1x3 said:
Dr.Grass said:
I'm not a fan of anyone investing in their military. The US war machine is a modern day disgrace.

Why? Becuse they have the best military in the history of mankind and no one dares to throw a rock at them? Great military earns great respect among other countries

Because that great military is going to cost grandma her social security check....

History check.

How did the Soviet Union explode ?

Reagan started a arm race with them and they kept spending a bigger percentage of their GDP in army and their economy coudn't keep up...

Fast forward 30 years.

Guess which  modern country is spending the biggest percentage of its GDP in its military ?

yep the US.

Chinese are smarter, instead of growing the military percentage in the budget, they grow the economy, and as a result the military budget grows...

Besides, last I checked those stealth bombers and nuclear submarines are not that usefull to fight terrorists.........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

No, the weaker countries won't be able to stand up the the superpowers at any rate. It would be a waste of money in these trying times, the funds are better spent on infrastructure and import/export climb.

Around the Network

I know people working in the weapons Industry and since germany is the 3rd biggest weapons export nation I think it has some good perspectives if someone upgrades their weapons. I seriously dont see a good reason for countries like canada to build up military strength. Canada is in the NATO if they are attacked basically 70% of the worlds military must protect them.

Besides Japan has no military they have the japan self defence force which is legally just civilians.

Also there wont be a war like it used too. The global economics would collapse and this would be devastating for everyone.

And you have to realize no matrer how much canada spends for military the USA would ALWAYS walk over canada if they are commited to do so. Canada is not even in the top ranks and the second place (china) spends 5 times less for military then USA. USA spends MORE then 10 of the other top rank countries combined namely china uk france russia germany japan saudi arabia italy india south korea.

Its from 2009 and aslong as China hasnt massively increased their expenses it should still be valid.

Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:
Joelcool7 said:

What if in the future their was an attack on Canada and instead of everyone asking what "America is going to do" they asked "What is Canada going to do".

Due to Canada's geographical position, it would most likely be the USA who were starting this hypothetical attack, so your statement is quite silly.

Yah your sorta right. Right now the countries invading us are USA, Russia and Greenland. All three countries are claiming more and more Canadian waters and soil for themselves. Its so bad that our Prime Minister deployed the army to keep them at bay. If a war were to start chances are one of those three would be the one invading Canada. We could take Greenland but without a tougher military the US or Russia would walk right over us. Yet another reason Canada should arm itself to the teeth. Wheres our aircraft carriers and battleships and our air force.

The only thing preventing USA and Russia from invading us for our resources. It would lead to WWIII because Russia wouldn't let the US take over Canada. US wouldn't let Russia take over Canada. And if either of them tried the whole Common Wealth would be on their ass. But that doesn't mean Canada should sit defenceless, we need a kick ass army to defend us!

Your reading way too much Tom Clancy. First of all if Canada wants to compete with the USA it would need to spend 50% of its gdp on the military.

Canada is the USA's largest trading partner, yes even bigger than China.

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/top/dst/current/balance.html

Americans view Canadians more favorably than any other nationality.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/126116/Canada-Places-First-Image-Contest-Iran-Last.aspx

As you have said no country would dare to invade Canada other than USA. Russia would not dare invade it. Its military basically has almost no offensive capabilities at the moment and it will take a long time for it to catch up. Now please explain to me why the United States would invade a county that is its biggest trading partner, and that its people view the most favorably. Canada and the United States have not been in any serious disputes since British attacked the United States from Canada in the war of 1812. Canada would be wise to let America continue wasting hundreds of billions inventing the technologies everyone else will use a few years later, and use its money on more useful things, because it has 0 threats for the near future.

chocoloco said:
Marks said:
chocoloco said:
Yes, I look forward to the day when China has a mighty military. Tensions will be eased and the world will be safer place.

I hope that's sarcasm. I could really do with not being attacked by China in my lifetime. 

You have to use sarcasim in Joel's threads or else you will go crazy thinking how absurd some of his notions are.

haha very true! I'm glad it was sarcasm. Its hard to tell sometimes. 

wow are some people here serious?

one guy says usa could easily invade china because they spend much more money for militray wtf? sure theyy do but they have to fight on another ground against millions of soldiers. supplies had to come from thousands of miles away. it would take t long to change strategies etc. and china is lot to big to win a war against.

same with russia and for sure usa no way their could be a country win a war on usa, russian or chinese ground even if this country spends only 10% for military then the invading country.

but funniest guy was the guy who said american military is so great single fighters could destroy squadrons of others countries fighters lol? just because an american fighter cost 10 or 100 times more doesnt mean one fighter can destroy 10 or 100 other fighters in a war. maybe one can destroy 2-3 of the others but if there would be a fight over china with 1000 chinese fighters and 100 american fighters the american figters wouldn have any chance. it's not only the technology it's a lot of tactics as well and if they both have the same good or bad tactic it is easy for a few bad fighters to destroy the most modern fighter on this planet even if one fighter costs 100billion.

some people really seem to think 10 times more spendings on military means a 10 times better army lol. maybe the army is 2 times better than.

No, they dont. I live in Costa Rica, a country with no army, and I can reassure you that 99% of our population would agree with me that we dont need one, we have a lot of needs but an army is not even close to come to our minds...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064