By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should weaker countries invest more in their militaries?

Should weaker countries invest more in their militaries to make themselves stronger?

Yes 18 26.09%

No 51 73.91%

Total:69

According to Wiki, Canada is 15th on spending on it's military, just behind all the countries I'd expect to spend more on their military then you. But you only spend 1.5% of your GDP, UK spends 2.7%, US 4.7%. Australia are a small population but a richer nation so spends more. I'm sure if you wanted you could tern yourself into a far more prominent military power.

Of course, I'm pretty sure if the US and Britain weren't currently at war our financial problems would be far less. Being at war costs billions.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

You guys are totally right, the world needs more weapons and gum chewin.  Poor countries, quit slackin off and get to buyin them bombs.  Education, healthcare and all that pussy shit can wait.

Player1x3 said:
Dr.Grass said:
I'm not a fan of anyone investing in their military. The US war machine is a modern day disgrace.

Why? Becuse they have the best military in the history of mankind and no one dares to throw a rock at them? Great military earns great respect among other countries

Funny that Americans are shaken in fear at a mention of terrorist that they'd let you grope them in the name of safety.

And don't forget that Canada has actually weapons of mass destruction so i wouldn't call them weak...

Many people died to get this photo to us:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

RolStoppable said:
Joelcool7 said:

What if in the future their was an attack on Canada and instead of everyone asking what "America is going to do" they asked "What is Canada going to do".

Due to Canada's geographical position, it would most likely be the USA who were starting this hypothetical attack, so your statement is quite silly.

Yah your sorta right. Right now the countries invading us are USA, Russia and Greenland. All three countries are claiming more and more Canadian waters and soil for themselves. Its so bad that our Prime Minister deployed the army to keep them at bay. If a war were to start chances are one of those three would be the one invading Canada. We could take Greenland but without a tougher military the US or Russia would walk right over us. Yet another reason Canada should arm itself to the teeth. Wheres our aircraft carriers and battleships and our air force.

The only thing preventing USA and Russia from invading us for our resources. It would lead to WWIII because Russia wouldn't let the US take over Canada. US wouldn't let Russia take over Canada. And if either of them tried the whole Common Wealth would be on their ass. But that doesn't mean Canada should sit defenceless, we need a kick ass army to defend us!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I would disagree with you on what makes a country powerful, what made Great Britain into an empire was trade - Sugar, coffee and tea for example. The British Empire was built on these items, the huge fleet of ships were designed to defend it from rivals and pirates.
It's not pure military might that creates status it's : Trading power, Reputation, connections - with the backing of some military power.
What makes the UK have such an influence on world events is due in part to having connections in almost every county of the world due to the Commonwealth and Various banks and businesses.
Willingness to use it's army has some effect as well, but it's money and political/business connections are still a countries main weapons in a time of peace.

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

Absolutely not... it's impractical, useless, and only serves to stroke the *cough* ego of the conservatives and rightists... a big military should only exist by true need... Canada, of all countries, is the one that needs one least...

@Player1x3 - fear =/= respect.

Dr.Grass said:
Player1x3 said:
Dr.Grass said:
I'm not a fan of anyone investing in their military. The US war machine is a modern day disgrace.

Why? Becuse they have the best military in the history of mankind and no one dares to throw a rock at them? Great military earns great respect among other countries

Instilling fear in others is not a sign of greatness.

Fear? How about respect?

Spending a larger portion of your money on military prowess than anything else is not a sign of intelligence.

Its a sign of power

Signing unprecedentedly massive contracts with arms dealers that will mould the future of the countries economy is not a sign of vision.

Its a sign or wealth and stability

Having all that power and using it in the middle east as opposed to Zimbabwe/Rwanda/Ivory Coast etc. all is not a sign of integrity.

Agreed

EDIT: If the US were to have a war against China in 2 years then I would say they don't stand a chance.

Disagree. US military is not oly the most modern and most powerful as well as richest, but also pretty large in numbers, they wouldnt need to go into war with China in 2 years, they would conquer it much quicker

Because of monstruous militaries like the US one, this  create the need to weaker countries protect themselves.

The fact that the USA, in the name of Bin Laden, installed a military base above the most profund place of the Guarani Aquifer, in Paraguai, is worrying.

Yes, I look forward to the day when China has a mighty military. Tensions will be eased and the world will be safer place.