By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should weaker countries invest more in their militaries?

Should weaker countries invest more in their militaries to make themselves stronger?

Yes 18 26.09%

No 51 73.91%

Total:69
Joelcool7 said:

Alright so this thread isn't aimed at American's , British, Russian's and Japanese. Its aimed at Canadian's Mexican's, Cuban's, Rwandan's and people from every weaker country on earth. Right now Canada is improving its military by leaps and bounds but is it enough, what about your country is it investing in the military?

Do you think weaker military powers should invest in enhancing their militaries?

I hate how every time a war breaks out people go "Whats America going to do", "Whats Russia going to do". It seems that the countries with strong militaries are always the ones making decisions and having an influence in global affairs. What if in the future their was an attack on Canada and instead of everyone asking what "America is going to do" they asked "What is Canada going to do".

I'm sick and tired of the world looking at my country as a weakling. In WWII we had the third largest navy in the world. Other countries like Japan had huge militaries.

What about your country, did it used to be a super power (Militarily) and if so do you want it to return to being one? Or do you think its better that your country not invest and let other countries do the fighting? Whats your opinion buy weapons or remain a weaker country?

It is nonsense to say that Canada isn't doing things correctly. The idea of warfare is antiquated due to it being both FAR too dangerous and too expensive with current technology. Also, as a philosophically superior people since the days of the world wars, we should know better. The only nation that has a dangerous military is the United States; and most Americans are against this. It is backward irrational thinking to be proud of a nation's military strength.

Canada was among the 4 nations who said NO to the US when the US asked us all to help them invade Iraq for what was seen as an immoral reason; essentially, to cut Iraq off from selling oil more cheaply than US backed companies - and we watched as the American government lied to their own people about Iraq having weapons of mass destruction and the center of terrorism; and saw how (while many Americans were not fooled) they convinced enough people that it was correct... Which is essentially ****ing all over the ideals of Democracy, with demagoguery. Canada should be prouder of being a peaceful nation, and also as one of the two nations (the other being the Nederlands) that pushed to help Rwanda, an ACTUAL war where the UN should have intervened, but instead pulled forces; and no, a more powerful military would not have made a difference since the wall was politics (Even Clinton with half the military might in the world, could not use any troops to go in there due to the US politicians blocking him), and I am even sure even the Dutch forces alone, had they been given the green light, could have pacified Rwanda; the massacre was executed using old soviet guns and machetes.

Also, going back to the 4 Nations who said no to the US, look at the health of our economies compared to theirs. Rather than investing tens of billions to hundreds of billions in military, I do think it would be better to invest that money into developing nations, pushing for more environmentally sound methods; birth control; healthcare improvement; and improved farming techniques. Africa, India, and Indonesia have population growth problems, and Africa has already hit a Malthusian disaster state - I think it would be beneficial to the world`s economy, and the world, if we instead invested in these countries, and made them as a growing part of the world economy; a healthy looking location to sink our investment dollars into.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

The question I ask is why would Canada want to spend so much on it's war machine when it is a member of NATO?

One of the main reasons UK, France etc kept their spending down is because they know the US have their backs. These countries knew their role in NATO was mainly a supporting one and justified their spending as such.

New NATO members like Poland and the Czech Rep are depending on the old motto "an attack on one NATO member is an attack on all" so why waste money on their militaries.

Unless the Canadians have a certain degree of mistrust in the future of NATO I don't see why they would want to spend all that money.

China's policy - or at least the public one - is minimal deterence. They have about 50 nukes that can strike anywhere in the US and seem to think that's enough to put of any attack on them.

Let's face it. Nukes give you a lot more bargaining power even if you never intend to them.

Every nation has the right to defend themselves and even a poor African nation needs to watch his neighbours.
When these poor non-oil-producing nations go to war no one gives a shit.

Well...Turkey definitely needs to become self-sufficient, in terms of arms development and the sort, even though it's a very powerful country military-wise. Erdogan knows what he's doing in terms of the economy and infrastructure, so I'm not too concerned about that.

Iran is spending too much money on their military. You can't blame them, but they have other priorities in their country.

Arab countries, no...first we should fight off the rampant corruption that plagues us, as well as improving our economies/infrastructure while being careful not to let any foreign countries throw wrenches in our development (that includes resolving the Palestine-Israel conflict). Then, finally, there needs to be a unified Arab Army instead of individual armies. Then, and only then, must we increase our military spending.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

chocoloco said:
Yes, I look forward to the day when China has a mighty military. Tensions will be eased and the world will be safer place.

China doesn't need military anymore. All they need to topple a country and it's goverment is asking them to return what China banks lend them ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

yea why not. its money.

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:
chocoloco said:
Yes, I look forward to the day when China has a mighty military. Tensions will be eased and the world will be safer place.

China doesn't need military anymore. All they need to topple a country and it's goverment is asking them to return what China banks lend them ;)

I think that would hardly be in their best interest especially considering a lot of countries owe them money not just one. Also the US consumes a great deal of their products, wipe out our economy and theirs will also take a dive. Funny stuff though. lulz.

chocoloco said:
Zlejedi said:
chocoloco said:

I think that would hardly be in their best interest especially considering a lot of countries owe them money not just one. Also the US consumes a great deal of their products, wipe out or economy and their will also take a dive. Funny stuff though. lulz.

Yeah but the sheer possibility of doing so will keep other countries out of China intrnal matters like occupaion of Tibet , violation of human right etc.

Zlejedi said:
chocoloco said:
Zlejedi said:
chocoloco said:

I think that would hardly be in their best interest especially considering a lot of countries owe them money not just one. Also the US consumes a great deal of their products, wipe out or economy and their will also take a dive. Funny stuff though. lulz.

Yeah but the sheer possibility of doing so will keep other countries out of China intrnal matters like occupaion of Tibet , violation of human right etc.

I actually think most countries would look at it as an overly aggresive act and would be concerned how it would completly destroy the worlds economy. I dont even think China could ask for the money back all at once. The Chinese government is very aware of the interdependency the world is economically now so I really don't know if they are that determined to be antagonistic in world affairs. China already continues to abuse human rights all the time under current conditions. They are completely autonomus in their decision making already and I really dont think they would risk so much to gain more power in world affairs. Or at least, I really hope so.

chocoloco said:
Zlejedi said:
chocoloco said:
Zlejedi said:
chocoloco said:

I actually think most countries would look at it as an overly aggresive act and would be concerned how it would completly destroy the worlds economy. I dont even think China could ask for the money back all at once. The Chinese government is very aware of the interdependency the world is economically now so I really don't know if they are that determined to be antagonistic in world affairs. China already continues to abuse human rights all the time under current conditions. They are completely autonomus in their decision making already and I really dont think they would risk so much to gain more power in world affairs. Or at least, I really hope so.

Think about this as economic version of nuclear weapon. Noone sane will use it but sheer presence changes a lot.

RolStoppable said:
Austria needs to invest more in their military and then we should declare war on Switzerland.

Trying to turn back the clock to 1648 are we? Westphalia really screwed you Aussies over, after all.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.