By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Xenoblade be the first/one of the few console JRPGs this gen to hit 90+?

Conegamer said:
Wagram said:
Damn you all. Making the wait so much more painful!

You planning on the import? Or are you holding out on Reggie? (Good luck on that BTW)

I would drop the classic 'now you know what us EU citizens have been feeling the last 15 years' line, but that ain't right. The fact that everyone doesn't have access to this great game is a darn shame, and one which should be rectified ASAP.

Importing. The game has been in the mail since the 15th.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Conegamer said:
Wagram said:
Damn you all. Making the wait so much more painful!

You planning on the import? Or are you holding out on Reggie? (Good luck on that BTW)

I would drop the classic 'now you know what us EU citizens have been feeling the last 15 years' line, but that ain't right. The fact that everyone doesn't have access to this great game is a darn shame, and one which should be rectified ASAP.

Importing. The game has been in the mail since the 15th.

Good choice. If my experiences from taking stuff from the states is accurate, you should be able to join in on the conversation by this time next week at the latest.

Now I understand the painful wait. I went to get it the second my local Gamestation opened, only to find that it opened half an hour later on Friday (for some reason) so had to wait until after work to play it >.<

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I'm only an hour and a half in so far and I love just wandering around exploring the world available to me atm. Got my arse kicked by a level 70 monster on the lake shore, and I'm glad the game doesn't do the dickish thing of sending you back to one's last save when you die, which is common in RPGs. The graphics, to me at least, look a lot better than in gameplay videos and screenshots. Even the character models aren't exactly bad, I'm just used to better, the only things which 'stand out' are the circle shadows and on occasion the textures. Anyway, who really cares about graphics when the game's artistic design is so amazing?

I really wish I could play more, but until I leave for uni in a couple of weeks I'm working full time which leaves little time for games, even epic ones like Xenoblade Chronicles.

RolStoppable said:
Xen said:
So it's a time-eater!
Man, I can't wait to get it.

I think it's the first time that the estimated playtime on the back of the box/in advertisements is correct or less than the actual amount. It's said to be 100 hours and so far that doesn't seem to be a lie. Also, there's nothing that screams huge filler which is all too common in many other JRPGs. The sidequests aren't tedious, they are rewarding and I think I remember reading that there's 400 of them.

The only thing that bugs me so far are sidequests that will only be available until a certain point in the game. They are marked with a clock icon, but nothing is specified, so I keep holding off of the main storyline to complete that stuff first. Too bad that I can never be sure that I've found all the people who give out timed sidequests.

Haha, welcome to the way I play RPG's dude. With a huge comb.

This huge world stuff and lots of stuff to do is enthralling though. I enjoy using my comb and running around every corner!

Well, I was only talking about the way I play them, not everyone is as thorough as us ;)

And yeah, points of no return suck! They deprived me quite of a few items back in their day. I'm now going through Resonance of Fate, and I'm letting nothing slip from me this time. Doing this oldschool,.without guides is really fun. If you do all the missions in there, you'll be granted quite a few bonuses. I love finding out what and how.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

It's annoying when the game throws 30 something timed sidequests at you at once. It takes quite some time to finish them all.

30 something? I only have two timed sidequests at the moment (I'm in the refugee camp or whatever it's called), but so far I have a feeling that the sidequests are not as rewarding anyway as grinding which is fun in this game.

Landscapes are beautiful, charcacter models not so much.

RolStoppable said:
Xen said:
RolStoppable said:

I think it's the first time that the estimated playtime on the back of the box/in advertisements is correct or less than the actual amount. It's said to be 100 hours and so far that doesn't seem to be a lie. Also, there's nothing that screams huge filler which is all too common in many other JRPGs. The sidequests aren't tedious, they are rewarding and I think I remember reading that there's 400 of them.

The only thing that bugs me so far are sidequests that will only be available until a certain point in the game. They are marked with a clock icon, but nothing is specified, so I keep holding off of the main storyline to complete that stuff first. Too bad that I can never be sure that I've found all the people who give out timed sidequests.

This huge world stuff and lots of stuff to do is enthralling though. I enjoy using my comb and running around every corner!

I play JRPGs that way too, so "welcome" isn't really appropriate. The thing is that other games don't warn you that there will be points of no return, so it just happens eventually.

I greatly dislike points of no returns, because JRPGs are such long games. It shouldn't be too hard to make games without such a stupid "feature" and there are some titles that have done just that.

I might just say "screw it" and continue the main storyline if I can't figure out how to solve some sidequests (read: no idea where person/item is). It's annoying when the game throws 30 something timed sidequests at you at once. It takes quite some time to finish them all.

Pretty sure a Japanese guy came into my channel and said he spent at least 300 hours in that game so...... yeah...

I agree with Rol. The best way to gain levels in this game is to do the side-quests. And it's nice returning to Colony 9 and other areas to get more side-quests, increase your relation with the town, re-build etc. It makes it feel like the game is alive, and you're actually making a difference, and improving people's lives. And that's a good thing.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

OMG The game has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't expect it to arrive so fast!!

dahuman said:
RolStoppable said:
Xen said:
RolStoppable said:

I play JRPGs that way too, so "welcome" isn't really appropriate. The thing is that other games don't warn you that there will be points of no return, so it just happens eventually.

I greatly dislike points of no returns, because JRPGs are such long games. It shouldn't be too hard to make games without such a stupid "feature" and there are some titles that have done just that.

I might just say "screw it" and continue the main storyline if I can't figure out how to solve some sidequests (read: no idea where person/item is). It's annoying when the game throws 30 something timed sidequests at you at once. It takes quite some time to finish them all.

Pretty sure a Japanese guy came into my channel and said he spent at least 300 hours in that game so...... yeah...

Ohsnap.