By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - American pre-order charts 30th July 2011

dsage01 said:
yo_john117 said:
dsage01 said:
Where can you find more BS preorder numbers

Show me ONE place that has better pre-order charts then Vgchartz for FREE. Nobody is forcing you to look at these charts.

In the end Vgcharts pre-order charts are mostly accurate sure there may be some discrepencies but as a whole they give a good idea at what a game might do for FW sales.

Your opinion is NOT more accurate then Vghcartz numbers.

I already cleared that out. And when did I say my opinion is more accurate than VGC numbers?

Yeah I realize that after I read through the thread. But the way you were saying stuff made it sound like you thought your opinion was better then Vgchartz numbers.

Around the Network
enrageorange said:
dsage01 said:

thank you for prooving my point. The 360 version of AC is not so far away from the PS3 version in the data you provided to us. But the PS3 version of AC Revelations is 85k and the 360 version is 240k. And remember this chart includes Canada and Latin America as well and in those regions the difference between the PS3 and 360 is very little compared to what it is in the States.

it proves one of your points while disproves every other point you were trying to make. 

No lol I had had people explain to me how the whole preorder system works. Yes I now do agree BF 3 and MW3 are both right on spot although I'm not convinced you Uncharted 3 suddenly had a drop like that. 

yo_john117 said:
dsage01 said:
yo_john117 said:
dsage01 said:
Where can you find more BS preorder numbers

Show me ONE place that has better pre-order charts then Vgchartz for FREE. Nobody is forcing you to look at these charts.

In the end Vgcharts pre-order charts are mostly accurate sure there may be some discrepencies but as a whole they give a good idea at what a game might do for FW sales.

Your opinion is NOT more accurate then Vghcartz numbers.

I already cleared that out. And when did I say my opinion is more accurate than VGC numbers?

Yeah I realize that after I read through the thread. But the way you were saying stuff made it sound like you thought your opinion was better then Vgchartz numbers.

Nah I didn't mean it in that way. I only got pissed because I've been screaming out for the past few weeks how I think these preorders are inaccurate with some other people and I felt as if I were being ignored because none of the mods or anything did anything that's why I had to make it a bit rude so I can catch people's attention.

Seece said:
dsage01 said:
BHR-3 said:
dsage01 said:
BHR-3 said:
cod series still impressive

COD MW3 vs past COD same timeframe

mw3 360 662k
mw3 PS3 284k

BO 256k
BO 150k

But then again look at Black Ops's giant jump from it's preorders on both consoles. Which you yourself stated before.

BO didnt have a giant step up on PO from MW2 ( idk bout week for week but final PO were very similar to MW2 on both consoles) just like you i was able to see through things which led to me being able to capitalize with the prediction of ps3 BO > reach

Really you too? I thought I was the only one who thought that and turned out right. And you also predicted Uncharted 2 will reach over 2 million week 1 damn I automaticly trust all your predictions from now on.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4069668 laughing out loud.

Seriously BHR's predictions are all overly pro PS3, so it works out when Sony is riding high, when they're not they fall flat. He isn't good at predicting anything

But I don't think an of us knew Infamous 2 would come on PSN? Did we? I bet his prediction would be accurate if it didn't come on PSN.

dsage01 said:
wilco said:

@dsage01

You need to calm down. The numbers might not be 100% accurate but I'm sure they are more reliable than your guestimations. VGchartz is tracking retailers, what are you doing? Everything you're saying is based on questionable logic and not raw data.

I'm basing it all from last year's preorders or the prequel's week 1. Doesn't AC Revelations look too much of a big jump from brotherhood to you? Look

19 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood X360 16 6,426 52,586
6 Assassin's Creed: Revelations X360 16 33,020 238,093

It's either 360 owners love preordering like crazy in the U.S. and PS3 owners don't preorder at all or there is something heavily wrong with these numbers.

A sequel is tracking ahead of its predecessor. What's the problem? Look at the bigger picture. A difference of 180,000 pre orders is negligible in the long run. Plus if you believe these numbers should line up with history then why don't you also bring up the fact that uncharted 3 is also tracking way ahead of uncharted 2? You keep claiming that its undertracked and yet its tracking far ahead of uc2. Historically speaking its preorders should be far less.

Around the Network
ioi said:
BHR-3 said:

uncharted 2 190k PO - 420k week 1 which went on to do over 2M before the year ended (despite the forums beliefs)

mag 250k PO (and was climbing even after the demo released)- 200k week 1

mw2 ps3 750k PO -1.7M week 1

cod bo again 860k PO - 2.35M week 1 which went on to outdo Halo reachs global week 1 after at least 2 adjustments  (same as above)

i believe this could be true "Maybe people who shop at the stores we track have different buying habits to yourself or to what you believe the population to have"

I don't really see an "issue" with any of the examples you listed above?

Here are the real issues:

4 Medal of Honor X360 1 84,775 479,578

Week 1:

514,786 (barely a difference)

6 Medal of Honor PS3 1 51,790 366,518

Week 1:

355,222 (barely a difference)

4 Fallout: New Vegas X360 1 66,770 525,556

Weeek 1:

645,971 (barely a difference)

6 Fallout: New Vegas PS3 1 27,240 231,541

Week 1:

329,631 (barely a difference)

2 Fable III X360 1 212,046 783,331

Week 1:

816,861 (once again almost no differnce!)

And here the final sales look undertracked too!

http://www.shacknews.com/article/66499/october-npd-ds-jumps-ahead

Fable 3 sold 580k in it's first month.

6 Homefront X360 1 7,718 80,601

Week 1:

(Wow that's one heck of a jump despite bad reviews)

Halo Reach:

Okay well you've got Halo Reach at 4 million in a month and NPD has it at 3.3. million in the same time frame. And the preorders may be a bit overtrakced too for this reason.

6 Batman: Arkham Asylum PS3 1 85,024 85,024

Week 1:

287,070 (Well this one isn't that bad but based on the game sales the preorder sales look pretty off)

3 MAG: Massive Action Game PS3 1 16,461 245,491

More preorders than the actaul sales

8 Batman: Arkham Asylum X360 1 66,909 66,909

Week 1:

277, 986 (Well this one isn't that bad but based on the game sales the preorder sales look pretty off)

And add all the Call of Duties since 6 to that list because the preorder jump was just huge for both both the Call of Duty games

wilco said:
dsage01 said:
wilco said:

@dsage01

You need to calm down. The numbers might not be 100% accurate but I'm sure they are more reliable than your guestimations. VGchartz is tracking retailers, what are you doing? Everything you're saying is based on questionable logic and not raw data.

I'm basing it all from last year's preorders or the prequel's week 1. Doesn't AC Revelations look too much of a big jump from brotherhood to you? Look

19 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood X360 16 6,426 52,586
6 Assassin's Creed: Revelations X360 16 33,020 238,093

It's either 360 owners love preordering like crazy in the U.S. and PS3 owners don't preorder at all or there is something heavily wrong with these numbers.

A sequel is tracking ahead of its predecessor. What's the problem? Look at the bigger picture. A difference of 180,000 pre orders is negligible in the long run. Plus if you believe these numbers should line up with history then why don't you also bring up the fact that uncharted 3 is also tracking way ahead of uncharted 2? You keep claiming that its undertracked and yet its tracking far ahead of uc2. Historically speaking its preorders should be far less.

First of all Uncharted 2 had a 188% jump from it's preorders to the actual first week just in the states. Mostly because of it's really good reviews. And than the legs were also really great. Therefore Uncharted 3's preorders should be prety high up. And especially with the beta and the good reviews it got. The next week we see a decrease in preorders? And if the pattern continues for AC Rev it can sell 1.5 million plus in America just for the 360 version if it has the normal boost a game gets from it's preorders to the final game. 

ioi said:
BHR-3 said:

uncharted 2 190k PO - 420k week 1 which went on to do over 2M before the year ended (despite the forums beliefs)

cod bo again 860k PO - 2.35M week 1 which went on to outdo Halo reachs global week 1 after at least 2 adjustments  (same as above)

i believe this could be true "Maybe people who shop at the stores we track have different buying habits to yourself or to what you believe the population to have"

Edit: Seece already commented on these points.

I never said "pre-orders are directly proportional to week one sales" I said they are a good indicator. They need to be taken in context. Around the holidays, sales are spready more evenly over numerous weeks - look at week 1-2, 2-3 drops. Same holds with pre-orders vs week one sales. A title like Black Ops, MW3 will sell a higher proportion of sales in the remainder of week 1, week 2 etc compared to day 1 sales than a typical non-holiday title. Similarly, it will sell more on day 1 as a proportion of pre-orders than a non-holiday title.

It is all about context - you guys all love to deal with absolutes and don't seem to understand the concept of context. Compare week 1 to month 1 sales for holiday and non-holiday titles for a start. Do the same for different genres. Do the same across different platforms.

for mag i find it hard to believe that people canceled there PO last minute PO here showed gains in the final weeks pre release aswell has medicore reviews being released on web proir to release as well as a demo being available way before any of these things happening

for BO again hard for me to believe only 100K more than MW2 with final PO considering COD was still growing as a franchise and i still believe is today, BO complete shattered MW2 sales 1st week month, LT ect even on other sales trackers.   this site also had it under tracked during the beginning of it release, now the way all this looks to me and its solely my opinion is that b/c cod bo was not WW2 era (meaning it wouldnt sell better or as good as MW2) was not modern era and is made by treyarc there would be some uncertainty to its sales for some people, the same can be said for uncharted 2 b/c the 1st one only had like what less than 2M sold prior to launch all the perfect reviews wernt released it would be very difficult for the average person to know the final outcome

regardless, who am i do disagree with anyones beliefs as i dont rely on charts, mathematical formulas, sales trackers, past history ect. for my beliefs so many could say that my beliefs are flawed and i know how that feels and its not good so i would want others to have the same feeling, i only believe in what the stars above me show, every one has there beliefs and the ones in here are just VGCs

im curious to know from you ioi from what you know and described above what do think COD MW3 on PS3 will sell 1st week in NA cause i wouldnt hesitate to say over 3M

Play Me

Halo finally made it on the top 20; it'll continue to gain momentum as the weeks pass by.

Try Gamefly for a month and get another one free!

http://gamefly.tellapal.com/a/clk/406vc

BHR-3 said:
ioi said:
BHR-3 said:

Edit: Seece already commented on these points.

I never said "pre-orders are directly proportional to week one sales" I said they are a good indicator. They need to be taken in context. Around the holidays, sales are spready more evenly over numerous weeks - look at week 1-2, 2-3 drops. Same holds with pre-orders vs week one sales. A title like Black Ops, MW3 will sell a higher proportion of sales in the remainder of week 1, week 2 etc compared to day 1 sales than a typical non-holiday title. Similarly, it will sell more on day 1 as a proportion of pre-orders than a non-holiday title.

It is all about context - you guys all love to deal with absolutes and don't seem to understand the concept of context. Compare week 1 to month 1 sales for holiday and non-holiday titles for a start. Do the same for different genres. Do the same across different platforms.

for mag i find it hard to believe that people canceled there PO last minute PO here showed gains in the final weeks pre release aswell has medicore reviews being released on web proir to release as well as a demo being available way before any of these things happening

for BO again hard for me to believe only 100K more than MW2 with final PO considering COD was still growing as a franchise and i still believe is today, BO complete shattered MW2 sales 1st week month, LT ect even on other sales trackers.   this site also had it under tracked during the beginning of it release, now the way all this looks to me and its solely my opinion is that b/c cod bo was not WW2 era (meaning it wouldnt sell better or as good as MW2) was not modern era and is made by treyarc there would be some uncertainty to its sales for some people, the same can be said for uncharted 2 b/c the 1st one only had like what less than 2M sold prior to launch all the perfect reviews wernt released it would be very difficult for the average person to know the final outcome

regardless, who am i do disagree with anyones beliefs as i dont rely on charts, mathematical formulas, sales trackers, past history ect. for my beliefs so many could say that my beliefs are flawed and i know how that feels and its not good so i would want others to have the same feeling, i only believe in what the stars above me show, every one has there beliefs and the ones in here are just VGCs

im curious to know from you ioi from what you know and described above what do think COD MW3 on PS3 will sell 1st week in NA cause i wouldnt hesitate to say over 3M

These are not first week sales, these are preorder stats. As I showed before, most sites currently have battlefield 3 360 ahead of mw3 ps3 in preorders in america. While I wouldn't be suprised at all if MW3 for ps3's first week sales in america is twice as high as battlefield 3's first week, currently people are preordering battlefield 3 more than mw3 in every single major US game retailer except walmart. You can't just make up numbers because you "know" what the final week numbers are "suppose" to be. 

You guys also keep bringing up numbers that don't matter for preorders like total sales or first month sales of games. That has nothing to do with preorders. Things that can affect preorders include, hype for a game, bonuses for preorders, the game that annoying gamestop clerk is begging you to preorder because it is in the same genre as the game your about to buy, etc. A game that has two million "hardcore" fans will probably have more preorders than a game that has a fanbase of 10 million who aren't as excited about it.

Preordering gears of war 3 on amazon gets you a $20 giftcard. Preordering battlefield 3 on amazon gets you free dlc. Preordering MW3 gets you an avatar for the 360 version... or wallpaper for the ps3 version... Tell me which game you think will have the lowest preorder to first week ratio if the incentives stay like that. If you aren't getting anything for preordering the game then why would you bother doing it, when you can just pick it up the day it comes out regardless.

Yes the chart has had a handful of completely wrong numbers, such as xbox 360's homefront. But you also need to consider the hundreds of numbers that could be entirely accurate. Doubling your preorder numbers in the first week is nothing crazy at all. Infact I think that its even a somewhat small increase for many games.

Just like there is no ratio for how much a game will sell lifetime based on its first week numbers, there is no preorder to first week ratio. A week may not seem like a huge amount of time for things to drasticly change, but it is. Just compare the percent drops from first week to second week of some games. Sometimes its 10% drop, other times its a 80% drop, some games drop a lot after day one and others hardly drop at all. 

Final thing to consider is that first week sales for some games is only 1 day while for others its a full 7 days. Preorder to first week sales can obviously be affected by that as well.