By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Racism In Gaming Is Not Cool (-_-) (Updated)

Will Racism ever die down in online gaming??

Yes things will get alot better by next gen. 1 1.27%

(Yes) More than likely th... 4 5.06%

No it will be the same right now. 29 36.71%

No it will get worse as we enter next gen. 25 31.65%

I dont know... 11 13.92%

See results... 9 11.39%

Total:79

People care about stupid stuff. who cares what they say, they say it to get reactions like these. just keep playing into it tools. Not that i agree by any means what they say, but it is said anyways. it will always be said just to piss you off. might as well get over it and mute them .

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
Ajescent said:
Racism isn't a 360 exclusive title, I often get it on psn as well, even on Home. I had one woman accuse me of being a rapist because she saw my avatar was a black dude and was convinced I was going to try to rape her because that was the "norm" for black folks in Norway ¬_¬

I don't know if she was lumping muslims and black in together but if she was... 

http://fjordman.blogspot.com/2005/02/muslim-rape-epidemic-in-sweden-and.html

Regardless of how true it was, there's several things wrong with her pre-emptively accusing me of rape.

1: I was in England at the time, so Norway and its happenings, theoretically did not have any precendence in my behaviour.

2: She gave me a statistic that roughly translated to about 30% of black Men in Norway being related or linked to either rape or other kinds of crimes relating to white women.  assuming she was right, technically, there was a 70% chance I wasn't going to do anything to her.

3: My last but not least arguement is that we were in the middle of a game of bowling...in PLAYSTATION HOME, FUCKING PLAYSTATION HOME, HOW THE FUCK AM I GOING TO RAPE YOU IN PLAYSTATION HOME?! Forget the fact I'm in England and you are in Norway, how it is possible to rape someone in such an environment?! That's the part that pissed me off the most because she kept saying she would keep an eye on me incase I tried anything ¬_¬. I could be your next door neighbour in real life but in Home...unless Sony added a "rape" command that I am unaware of, I don't think she has anything to worry about.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
leatherhat said:
Ajescent said:
Racism isn't a 360 exclusive title, I often get it on psn as well, even on Home. I had one woman accuse me of being a rapist because she saw my avatar was a black dude and was convinced I was going to try to rape her because that was the "norm" for black folks in Norway ¬_¬

Regardless of how true it was, there's several things wrong with her pre-emptively accusing me of rape.

1: I was in England at the time, so Norway and its happenings, theoretically did not have any precendence in my behaviour.

2: She gave me a statistic that roughly translated to about 30% of black Men in Norway being related or linked to either rape or other kinds of crimes relating to white women.  assuming she was right, technically, there was a 70% chance I wasn't going to do anything to her.

3: My last but not least arguement is that we were in the middle of a game of bowling...in PLAYSTATION HOME, FUCKING PLAYSTATION HOME, HOW THE FUCK AM I GOING TO RAPE YOU IN PLAYSTATION HOME?! Forget the fact I'm in England and you are in Norway, how it is possible to rape someone in such an environment?! That's the part that pissed me off the most because she kept saying she would keep an eye on me incase I tried anything ¬_¬. I could be your next door neighbour in real life but in Home...unless Sony added a "rape" command that I am unaware of, I don't think she has anything to worry about.

Ive been on home twice, and I've seen some shit. That place is horndog heaven.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

I don't mind it, but maybe that's because I'm white and no one has succeeded in creating a white racial slur that is truly offensive. We know people will continue to hate different races, so the only way we can reach equality is for everyone to hate every other race...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

leatherhat said:
Ajescent said:

I don't see how anyone can associate Kurds and blacks as the same race....but you never know.

Ajescent, no one is saying racism is an x360 (if they are serious) exclusive. The thread is about online gaming in general. When it gets down to the level of "oh it happens on the PSN, too" or "It happens on Live all the time as well" seems to be some sort atomatic defense, to bring the other system into the argument.

This is not about that.

That was not a dig at you Ajescent as you explained your point about the rape issue, but as you bought it up I will give my experiences of such matters.

I have now own an x360 for few months (again). As an English speaker the majority of racists remarks I hear online comes with a North American accent and usually on Live. This is probably so because NA has far more english speakers than anyone else and a lot more Live subscribers than anyone else. That's just the way it is. It's a numbers game.

I am not saying the Germans or the Spanish (europeans)  don't make these remarks as well on PSN, it' s just that I don't understand these languages so can't draw a comparison but I am sure it happens.

The above is my experience, others may vary or be the total opposite.

As long as your are online on ANY system that allow verbal communication you are subject to this sort of behaviour. No system is immune.

But as someone said maybe it is better to sort out racism in the wider world first before focusing on it in gaming, on the other hand you gotta start somewhere so why not gaming.

Around the Network
justinian said:
leatherhat said:
Ajescent said:

I don't see how anyone can associate Kurds and blacks as the same race....but you never know.

Ajescent, no one is saying racism is an x360 (if they are serious) exclusive. The thread is about online gaming in general. When it gets down to the level of "oh it happens on the PSN, too" or "It happens on Live all the time as well" seems to be some sort atomatic defense, to bring the other system into the argument.

This is not about that.

That was not a dig at you Ajescent as you explained your point about the rape issue, but as you bought it up I will give my experiences of such matters.

I have now own an x360 for few months (again). As an English speaker the majority of racists remarks I hear online comes with a North American accent and usually on Live. This is probably so because NA has far more english speakers than anyone else and a lot more Live subscribers than anyone else. That's just the way it is. It's a numbers game.

I am not saying the Germans or the Spanish (europeans)  don't make these remarks as well on PSN, it' s just that I don't understand these languages so can't draw a comparison but I am sure it happens.

The above is my experience, others may vary or be the total opposite.

As long as your are online on ANY system that allow verbal communication you are subject to this sort of behaviour. No system is immune.

But as someone said maybe it is better to sort out racism in the wider world first before focusing on it in gaming, on the other hand you gotta start somewhere so why not gaming.

The bolded is oh so true, the amount of times I have to come across with idiots who quite happily drop the N-word as if they get a dollar every time they use is so disheartening that I almost always automatically "mute all" when playing online.

PSN doesn't have that many horror stories because thankfully, people on here are more likely to be quiet or mic-less. But I get the feeling that the PS4 and Vita are going to remedy that, which saddens me if I'm honest.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

docholliday said:
For the ppl saying black ppl call eachother nigger....have you ever even met a freaking black person? Do you even understand rap/hip-hop or urban slang to make that judgement? Black ppl as a whole have taken a word that degraded them and taken ownership of it, And they call eachother "nigga" not "er", if you dont understand the difference then you shouldnt even be discussing the topic. Its just another excuse for basically white racists to think its ok to use the word. And comparing it to "fag", incase you havent noticed that shit doesnt exactly fly with gays either. Get educated about discrimmination ppl before you speak about it.

negro nigger nigga

its up to you

stop playing with words

and anybody can't just take ownership,one race taking ownership of a word is itself racist that other races can't use it.

docholliday said:
For the ppl saying black ppl call eachother nigger....have you ever even met a freaking black person? Do you even understand rap/hip-hop or urban slang to make that judgement? Black ppl as a whole have taken a word that degraded them and taken ownership of it, And they call eachother "nigga" not "er", if you dont understand the difference then you shouldnt even be discussing the topic. Its just another excuse for basically white racists to think its ok to use the word. And comparing it to "fag", incase you havent noticed that shit doesnt exactly fly with gays either. Get educated about discrimmination ppl before you speak about it.

I'm black and I don't call myself nigger.

I don't call any of my black friends nigger.

I think it's retarded for black people to use it for each other. (I think that's an American thing anyway).

I hate hearing it in music.

Nigger, Nigga, same shit.

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

Good thing I'm only racist towards indigenous mexicans, since they don't play videogames :)

snakenobi said:
docholliday said:

negro nigger nigga

its up to you

stop playing with words

and anybody can't just take ownership,one race taking ownership of a word is itself racist that other races can't use it.

Just because you dont agree it doenst change the fact that those 3 words you just listed are all different words.  And different groups have taken ownership of words or variations of in the past, it happens. Once again to use the example of "gay" meaning homosexual, that wasnt alway the meaning of that word but it is used as such now. I understand ppl not agreeing with the use of "nigga" that they dont see it as appropriate, thats its too similar. But it is still a different word with a different meaing.