By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Racism In Gaming Is Not Cool (-_-) (Updated)

Will Racism ever die down in online gaming??

Yes things will get alot better by next gen. 1 1.27%

(Yes) More than likely th... 4 5.06%

No it will be the same right now. 29 36.71%

No it will get worse as we enter next gen. 25 31.65%

I dont know... 11 13.92%

See results... 9 11.39%

Total:79
ASStronaut said:
docholliday said:
For the ppl saying black ppl call eachother nigger....have you ever even met a freaking black person? Do you even understand rap/hip-hop or urban slang to make that judgement? Black ppl as a whole have taken a word that degraded them and taken ownership of it, And they call eachother "nigga" not "er", if you dont understand the difference then you shouldnt even be discussing the topic. Its just another excuse for basically white racists to think its ok to use the word. And comparing it to "fag", incase you havent noticed that shit doesnt exactly fly with gays either. Get educated about discrimmination ppl before you speak about it.

I'm black and I don't call myself nigger.

I don't call any of my black friends nigger.

I think it's retarded for black people to use it for each other. (I think that's an American thing anyway).

I hate hearing it in music.

Nigger, Nigga, same shit.

I dont hear black ppl calling eachother "nigger" either. And I respect that you dont like the use of "nigga" as well. But the point is there are ppl in this thread saying it is OK to call black "nigger" cause black ppl call eachother that. And that is not the case at all.  There is slang in all cultures and all languages, doesnt change the fact that they are different terms with completely different meanings.

As I said before I would challenge anybody in this thread that thinks its ok to call black ppl "nigger" to walk up to the next random black person they see and call them that. If it is indeed OK, no harm should be done right? Dont forget to bring your keyboard though, you might need it to shield your face.

Around the Network
docholliday said:
ASStronaut said:
docholliday said:
For the ppl saying black ppl call eachother nigger....have you ever even met a freaking black person? Do you even understand rap/hip-hop or urban slang to make that judgement? Black ppl as a whole have taken a word that degraded them and taken ownership of it, And they call eachother "nigga" not "er", if you dont understand the difference then you shouldnt even be discussing the topic. Its just another excuse for basically white racists to think its ok to use the word. And comparing it to "fag", incase you havent noticed that shit doesnt exactly fly with gays either. Get educated about discrimmination ppl before you speak about it.

I think it's retarded for black people to use it for each other. (I think that's an American thing anyway).

I dont hear black ppl calling eachother "nigger" either. And I respect that you dont like the use of "nigga" as well. But the point is there are ppl in this thread saying it is OK to call black "nigger" cause black ppl call eachother that. And that is not the case at all.  There is slang in all cultures and all languages, doesnt change the fact that they are different terms with completely different meanings.

As I said before I would challenge anybody in this thread that thinks its ok to call black ppl "nigger" to walk up to the next random black person they see and call them that. If it is indeed OK, no harm should be done right? Dont forget to bring your keyboard though, you might need it to shield your face.

Lol at "keyboard face-shield".

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

The sad thing is that people actually get offended while playing online. I saw some black guy on the Dr. Phil show complaining about being called ni***r on Xbox. Its just 12 year old kids saying things that they don't know the meaning of, but heard their older brother say.

Racism/homophobia on Xbox/PSN will never die, but its meaningless. Just ignore it.

People (Including myself) enjoy the barrier online gaming provides.

docholliday said:
ASStronaut said:
docholliday said:

you do realize. that "Nigger" and "Nigga" are the same word. its just the way they say it, their accent if you will.

kind of like how Americans say "British" while people from the UK say Bri-ish (with the T barlely audible).

i was raised to believe that the word is an offensive derogatory term and therefor choose not to use it. but when i hear many black people call each other both "Nigga" and "nigger" its evident to me that it is no longer an offensive term to them not necassarly other black people who dont use it. so if i did choose to partake in calling them that term, they have no right to be offended, nor should i be reprimanded for it.

on i side note, i think the term "African-American" is totally rediculous, and will never use it either. i will only call them a black person or a person, or if i know their name, call them by name

Around the Network

Anonymity in gaming is not cool no matter the game or system.

If "John Smith" or your real name was present in everything you said via chat (MMORPGS) or voice chat (FPS), then I would bet my life savings that racist and other bad behavior would drop drastically.

If individuals suspected or feared of the possibility that their job prospects would drop due to a racist, profanity laden rant over a Black Ops match, then we would not have topics like this. We would be more surprised of some random kid dropping the "N" bomb.

docholliday said:
snakenobi said:
docholliday said:

negro nigger nigga

its up to you

stop playing with words

and anybody can't just take ownership,one race taking ownership of a word is itself racist that other races can't use it.

Just because you dont agree it doenst change the fact that those 3 words you just listed are all different words.  And different groups have taken ownership of words or variations of in the past, it happens. Once again to use the example of "gay" meaning homosexual, that wasnt alway the meaning of that word but it is used as such now. I understand ppl not agreeing with the use of "nigga" that they dont see it as appropriate, thats its too similar. But it is still a different word with a different meaing.

they all mean the same,its up to you what you say

this is not a topic to be techinical upon

useless

random query relating to calli9ng black people N-

If your dad calls your mother "Sexy"

Does that make it okay for you to do?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I'm black and I use the word nigga. My thoughts on people complaining about blacks using the word (At least the non-black members) To put it lightly, while logically one race shouldn't be able to take ownership of a word..too bad it happened. A lot of people from the older generations hate that word with a passion and for good reason, but a lot of them understand why newer generations of black man use it towards each other. And that basically comes down to taking the pain out of a word that caused so much harm. A professor of mine even said that it's almost Poetic Justice that, black people were able to take that very word that caused so much harm and injustice and discomfort, into a word of endearment and love for one another, while making white people uncomfortable when it's used around them at the same time.

And if you're wondering why only black people are allowed to say the word, put it like this. Slavery and every other injustice blacks had to endure for centuries gave us the right to dictate how and who should be able to use that word, as I've stated before the Hip Hop culture has given blacks the ability to flip that word from a negative into a positive reserved exclusively for us. The black community on a whole has been very divided over this issue but for the most part both sides understand why the other feels the way they do...

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Where is this coming from? Shouldn't you give like a example are something or you are talking about playing online.