By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hypocrisy of the Nintendo haters.

seiya19 said:

Also, SCEA is certainly not perfect either as far as localization goes, with them passing on Demon's Souls, releasing Siren as a download-only and slightly censored, and skipping several PSP games. And Microsoft never got much Japanese games to publish, so I don't think you can evaluate them by just 2 or 3 games.   

Sony is far worse for localisations than Nintendo IMO.  I live in U.K, so fortunately I'm shielded from NoA and come under NoE.  Nothing Nintendo has ever done localisation (or lack of) wise will ever match IMO what Sony is doing with the PSN in Europe.  Many of the best PSX games, such as Xenogears and Chrono Cross, were never released in Europe.  However, Sony is refusing to release these games on the European PSN.  I think these games would actually sell quite well as less people here would've played them.  Sony claims that they don't know whether it can be released here.  I was so sick of this, I just imported an NTSC PSX along with several games, including Xenogears.

This is in direct contrast to Nintendo, who have allowed 3rd parties to release their games in regions where they weren't originally.  For example, I've downloaded the likes of Ogre Battle 64, Sin and Punishment and Super Mario RPG, all which never saw original launches here in Europe.  Square-Enix themselves have put games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI/III on the EU VC.

IMO this is worse than NoA not localising Xenoblade Chronicles.  Sony is going to have to do a lot for me to regain their trust after this clusterfuck.

Around the Network
seiya19 said:
geddesmond2 said:
Aquietguy said:

Nintendo has been using the same franchises for years. Sony and Microsoft create new series each generation. Yeah there is 3 uncharted games and 3 resistances but these are series created from scratch this generation. Sony has created over 10 new franchises this generation alone. How many has Nintendo.

*sigh*

Again, here are most new 1st party IPs (published and owned by Nintendo) this gen:

On Wii and WiiWare: Wii Series, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Pandora's Tower, Zangeki no Reginleiv, FlingSmash, Endless Ocean, Captain Rainbow, And-Kensaku, ThruSpace, Rock N' Roll Climber, You Me and the Cubes, Eco Shooter: Plant 530, Line Attack Heroes, Snowpack Park, AquaSpace, MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade.

On DS and DSiWare: Soma Bringer, ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat, Jam with the Band, Another Code/Trace Memory, Nintendogs, Osu ! Tatakae ! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, Jet Impulse, Chousoujou Mecha MG, Electroplankton, Meteos, Fossil Fighters, Hotel Dusk, Zekkyo Senshi Sakeburein, Style Savvy/Style Boutique, Metal Torrent, Reflect Missile/Trajectile, A Kappa's Trail.

And there's also Steel Diver on 3DS.

Also, as I mentioned before, saying that the games have to be released in all regions, be popular, or not "casual" is clearly moving "goal posts". The games still exist, no matter where they're released, how much they sell or if you care about them or not. And the same applies to Sony/Microsoft ones, of course.

Well if DS, Wiiware and 3DS count then so should Xbox live, PSN, PSP and PS Vita which puts the amount of new ips for both Microsoft and Sony into the dozens. I'm not saying Wii doesn't have new IPS it does have some but how many of those do people want and again if you live in europe and or NA and Nintendo release games in Japan only then it may aswel not exist because you'll never get the chance to play it.

Just look at The Last story. Its the only Nintendo game I have wanted Since Donkey Kong country returns and 2 months ago there was no confirmation on an EU release. Now we have the confirmation and theres rumours going around that NA won't be getting the game and Nintendo have failed to answer fans questions. The games may exist but what good are they unless you learn japanese especially for a game like the Last story which is a very story driven game.

Lets just look at some of those Ips. Xenoblades no NA release. The Last Story, no NA release. Disaster day of cysis, no NA release. Pandoras Tower, no NA release. Zangeki no Reginleiv, only in japan. Captain Rainbow, japan only. And-Kensaku, japan only. I mean I can go on and on but whats the point. What good are these new Ips to someone who lives in America or Europe. I would understand the OP if it was Japanese websites he was reading where core gamers where talking about no new Ips but hes browsing NA and european sites were these games ain't sold.  Also not to mention a lot of those titles ain't hardcore games.

lol if people want mature "core" ips than stick with the hd twins, leave that crap off nintendo systems

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Jazz2K said:
Sony and Microsoft publish games that set the tone for third party devs. Like someone said, Microsoft published Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon so third parties aren't afraid to release RPGs on the console. If Nintendo released some more different games than their usual mascotts I'm sure third party devs wouldn't be affraid to do the same. You gotta realise that if Nintendo doesn't create different games than those kiddy games it's like they're affraid these games are not going to sell. So if the console manufacturer is affraid of publishing these different games, why would third parties do it?

While I will respectfully disagree with everything else you said, this one right here needs to be addressed. And here is why. Nintendo recently released a new hand held console called the 3DS and the launch titles from third parties included Super Street Fighter 4, Pro Evolution Soccer, and Samurai Warriors. Does Nintendo publish titles that are anything at all like these titles? So then by your logic, why would they exist on the console? Hmmmmmmm. Right now I have DOA: Dimensions in my 3DS, good thing Nintendo publishes titles like this because if they did not, this game would be nowhere near their console, right? You are incorrect.

Handhelds are kind of different and I'm not interrested in those anyway. To tell you the truth, I'd rather play mario games on handhelds than play games like Gears of War or Mass Effect. To further prove my point, in the early years of the 360 there was all kinds of JRPGs coming out. Now that MS stopped investing in those third parties did the same. Except for SquareEnix jrpgs on 360 are dead, more might see the light of day but only for the quick bucks. It's pretty simple logic to me.

When Nintendo talks about the WiiU they talk about how games like Battlefield 3 and Doom will make a return. Why do you think, it's to get gamers with tastes like mine back. They understand that they could have the best console ever but gamers that don't care about the mascotts will still buy the competition.

When you go in a store to buy a console and see the games all you see in the Nintnedo rows are kiddy games and Mario games because that's what is selling the most so of course people like will pass our way and go directly to the Xbox/PS3 rows. There are family games on 360 and PS3 but unless I wanna play with my family I'll pass but Nintendo consoles is full of these games so why would I care?

One more precision, being a core gamer to me has nothing to do with game designs but more about the gameplay. Mario games and Zelda games are as core to me as Gears.

sethnintendo said:
italo244 said:
Tell me 1 sucessfull IP that Nintendo created this gen. Oh, im not talking about Wii Music, Wii Play, Wii Motion Play, and Wii x bullshit. I want real IP, like Mario, Zelda and Metroid.
You cant name even 1.

Bye.

How about Wii Fit? 

Seriously though... This was a new genre that was created.  There weren't too many fitness games before this that I can remember.  The only one I can remember would be the world track with the power pad back during the NES era.  Can't blame them for making a new genre (just because you don't like) be successful.

R U serious? What about the Yoga and Fitness simulators that the PS2/Xbox  had? If you have no video game culture dont bash!

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Some people must be getting a lot of exercise with all this goal-post moving

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

geddesmond2 said:
seiya19 said:
geddesmond2 said:
Aquietguy said:

*sigh*

Again, here are most new 1st party IPs (published and owned by Nintendo) this gen:

On Wii and WiiWare: Wii Series, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Pandora's Tower, Zangeki no Reginleiv, FlingSmash, Endless Ocean, Captain Rainbow, And-Kensaku, ThruSpace, Rock N' Roll Climber, You Me and the Cubes, Eco Shooter: Plant 530, Line Attack Heroes, Snowpack Park, AquaSpace, MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade.

On DS and DSiWare: Soma Bringer, ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat, Jam with the Band, Another Code/Trace Memory, Nintendogs, Osu ! Tatakae ! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, Jet Impulse, Chousoujou Mecha MG, Electroplankton, Meteos, Fossil Fighters, Hotel Dusk, Zekkyo Senshi Sakeburein, Style Savvy/Style Boutique, Metal Torrent, Reflect Missile/Trajectile, A Kappa's Trail.

And there's also Steel Diver on 3DS.

Also, as I mentioned before, saying that the games have to be released in all regions, be popular, or not "casual" is clearly moving "goal posts". The games still exist, no matter where they're released, how much they sell or if you care about them or not. And the same applies to Sony/Microsoft ones, of course.

Well if DS, Wiiware and 3DS count then so should Xbox live, PSN, PSP and PS Vita which puts the amount of new ips for both Microsoft and Sony into the dozens. I'm not saying Wii doesn't have new IPS it does have some but how many of those do people want and again if you live in europe and or NA and Nintendo release games in Japan only then it may aswel not exist because you'll never get the chance to play it.

Just look at The Last story. Its the only Nintendo game I have wanted Since Donkey Kong country returns and 2 months ago there was no confirmation on an EU release. Now we have the confirmation and theres rumours going around that NA won't be getting the game and Nintendo have failed to answer fans questions. The games may exist but what good are they unless you learn japanese especially for a game like the Last story which is a very story driven game.

Lets just look at some of those Ips. Xenoblades no NA release. The Last Story, no NA release. Disaster day of cysis, no NA release. Pandoras Tower, no NA release. Zangeki no Reginleiv, only in japan. Captain Rainbow, japan only. And-Kensaku, japan only. I mean I can go on and on but whats the point. What good are these new Ips to someone who lives in America or Europe. I would understand the OP if it was Japanese websites he was reading where core gamers where talking about no new Ips but hes browsing NA and european sites were these games ain't sold.  Also not to mention a lot of those titles ain't hardcore games.

Yes, PSN/Live/PSP/PSVita new 1st party IPs do count too, of course. Still, the main point was that Nintendo has created quite a few IPs this gen as well as every gen before it, which many people claimed they didn't or aren't, not to compare which company has created more. And the hypocrisy of some people is that they continuously complain about Nintendo's sequels, yet they don't have a problem with playing plenty of other sequels from other publishers, some of them released annualy, and some of them being also quite old. This last point is not even dependant on whether there's new IPs available or not...

Anyway, as far as localizations goes, are you aware that you can play PAL/Japanese games on an American Wii through homebrew (software modding) ? From what I've heard, it's not that hard to do. And any game that gets localized on Europe obviously gets an English translation, so there's no language barrier there. But, since we're on the subject, it's also worth noting that some Japanese games can be played without knowing the language (fighting games, puzzle games, sports games, shoot'em ups, etc).

And as I already mentioned several times, it doesn't matter whether the games are labeled "hardcore", "casual" or whatever, they still exist. Should I pretend that God of War doesn't exist because I don't care about it ? We all have our preferences, but opinions are opinions and facts are facts. Pretending that games labeled "casual" shouldn't count here is an example of moving goal posts to fit your argument, not to mention the fact that Sony and Microsoft also have their own games that are labeled "casual". How is it that Eyepet or Lips (for example) count as new Sony/Microsoft IPs, yet the Wii series or FlingSmash don't ? Besides, I should point out that, at least to me, casual/hardcore/core/etc are just ambiguous labels without any real substance behind them...

I think what they do is perfectly fine.

I still perfectly enjoy all of these games, and quite frankly, sometimes think they are video games at their greatest.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Jazz2K said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Jazz2K said:
Sony and Microsoft publish games that set the tone for third party devs. Like someone said, Microsoft published Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon so third parties aren't afraid to release RPGs on the console. If Nintendo released some more different games than their usual mascotts I'm sure third party devs wouldn't be affraid to do the same. You gotta realise that if Nintendo doesn't create different games than those kiddy games it's like they're affraid these games are not going to sell. So if the console manufacturer is affraid of publishing these different games, why would third parties do it?

While I will respectfully disagree with everything else you said, this one right here needs to be addressed. And here is why. Nintendo recently released a new hand held console called the 3DS and the launch titles from third parties included Super Street Fighter 4, Pro Evolution Soccer, and Samurai Warriors. Does Nintendo publish titles that are anything at all like these titles? So then by your logic, why would they exist on the console? Hmmmmmmm. Right now I have DOA: Dimensions in my 3DS, good thing Nintendo publishes titles like this because if they did not, this game would be nowhere near their console, right? You are incorrect.

Handhelds are kind of different and I'm not interrested in those anyway. To tell you the truth, I'd rather play mario games on handhelds than play games like Gears of War or Mass Effect. To further prove my point, in the early years of the 360 there was all kinds of JRPGs coming out. Now that MS stopped investing in those third parties did the same. Except for SquareEnix jrpgs on 360 are dead, more might see the light of day but only for the quick bucks. It's pretty simple logic to me.

When Nintendo talks about the WiiU they talk about how games like Battlefield 3 and Doom will make a return. Why do you think, it's to get gamers with tastes like mine back. They understand that they could have the best console ever but gamers that don't care about the mascotts will still buy the competition.

When you go in a store to buy a console and see the games all you see in the Nintnedo rows are kiddy games and Mario games because that's what is selling the most so of course people like will pass our way and go directly to the Xbox/PS3 rows. There are family games on 360 and PS3 but unless I wanna play with my family I'll pass but Nintendo consoles is full of these games so why would I care?

One more precision, being a core gamer to me has nothing to do with game designs but more about the gameplay. Mario games and Zelda games are as core to me as Gears.

I quoted this to show goal post being moved. I used a logical argument and you come back with that. That is laughable.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

MrT-Tar said:
seiya19 said:

Also, SCEA is certainly not perfect either as far as localization goes, with them passing on Demon's Souls, releasing Siren as a download-only and slightly censored, and skipping several PSP games. And Microsoft never got much Japanese games to publish, so I don't think you can evaluate them by just 2 or 3 games.   

Sony is far worse for localisations than Nintendo IMO.  I live in U.K, so fortunately I'm shielded from NoA and come under NoE.  Nothing Nintendo has ever done localisation (or lack of) wise will ever match IMO what Sony is doing with the PSN in Europe.  Many of the best PSX games, such as Xenogears and Chrono Cross, were never released in Europe.  However, Sony is refusing to release these games on the European PSN.  I think these games would actually sell quite well as less people here would've played them.  Sony claims that they don't know whether it can be released here.  I was so sick of this, I just imported an NTSC PSX along with several games, including Xenogears.

This is in direct contrast to Nintendo, who have allowed 3rd parties to release their games in regions where they weren't originally.  For example, I've downloaded the likes of Ogre Battle 64, Sin and Punishment and Super Mario RPG, all which never saw original launches here in Europe.  Square-Enix themselves have put games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI/III on the EU VC.

IMO this is worse than NoA not localising Xenoblade Chronicles.  Sony is going to have to do a lot for me to regain their trust after this clusterfuck.

I must admit that I'm not as much informed of PAL localizations as I'm with American ones to compare them. And I didn't know about that issue regarding PSOne "import" classics... Quite strange, given that they're digital only releases. I do know that many VC games have been released as "imports" there through "Hanabi Festivals", even though there has been some inconsistencies regarding some games that get released on Australia and not Europe or viceversa.

Has this issue affected more than just Square-Enix games, that you're aware of ? And what about the other classic platforms ?

@Mr Khan

Ha, funny stuff... ^_^