By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hypocrisy of the Nintendo haters.

Aquietguy said:

Browsing on different game sights, I notice that a lot of "core gamers" saying that all Nintendo does is make rehashes of the same games and create new ways to play them. Then they would pee in their pants over the next shooter in a series. Games like COD, grand theft auto, or gears of war. Sony is releasing a beta of uncharted Drake. That is 3 in one gen. At that rate there will be more Drake's than Zelda's in three gens. Also, isn't there another Bio Shock coming? Talk about being a hypocrite! These people are haters more than core gamers.

The problem is, this isn't really hypocritical. Nintendo hasn't realeased a new franchise for the core audience in quite sometime, and NOA has even turned away several of the better made Japanese games.

What Nintendo is doing is expanding the market. Most of the new IP's Nintendo has made such as Wii Fit, Brain Age, Wii Sports, Nintendogs, etc appeal to female gamers and gamers above 30. 80% of female console gamers play on a Wii exclusivly, and I'm sure the DS is pretty high with female gamers too. Nintendo also has the widest spread of gamers by age.

So for core gamers, Nintendo is still mainly Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Kirby, Pikmin, Starfox, Fire Emblem etc. They have quite a lot of franchises, but not much new for core gamers.

This gen, Sony has made Resistance, Uncharted, InFamous, Motorstorm, LittleBigPlanet, etc. Yes there are 3 Uncharteds, Resistances, Motorstorms, etc, and Sony is relying on these sequels quite a bit more then Nintendo relies on Mario and Zelda, but they are making a lot of new IP's too.

Microsoft too has helped published a lot of new exclusive franchises. Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Left 4 Dead, Alan Wake, etc. However they do rely on XB1 franchises a lot too.

I mean think about this. Microsoft published Lost Odyssey without question. The console has never sold well in Japan, and they still paid Mistwalker off enough to keep the game exclusive, just to add something fresh to the library. Wii has very few JRPG exclusives on the console, and NOA has been pushing off Mistwalker so easily. Reggie himself even said Disaster: Day of Crysis didn't ship over here because he plain didn't like it.

I love Nintendo, but they need to work on their fans more. Turning away smaller budget Japanese games, shifting Pikmin 3 to Wii U, and not publishing anything new for core gamers. They have shifted their focus to an audience I feel is too broud. Either buy a small company out to develop more games, or reduce the size of your target audience.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Galaki said:
Don't we have a list of new ip's this gen somewhere so people can stop moving the goal post a bit?

Not that I know of... You can always check Wikipedia for a list of games published by each company (download-only ones are separate), but you have to check which ones are new and owned by the respective publisher by yourself. That's what I did not too long ago to verify Nintendo ones, most of them mentioned on my post. Gamefaqs also has a pretty comprehensive database.

Here are retail ones by Nintendo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Nintendo

But this obviously won't stop some people for making excuses, like the ones I mentioned...

No way, the best hipocracy this gen has been the whole "hardcore" thing. It was great listening to the filthy console peasants pound their chests about awesome graphics and shit, how Nintendo's dumbed down games were ruining their precious hardcore gaming experience. Then when steam reared its ugly head and the PC gamer population got bigger the HDtwin types changed their tune to "oh well graphics don't matter, games are all about fun, too complex isn't fun, I just want to sit on my comfy couch ~*~*~"

Basically all the arguments and shit they gave Nintendo fans are now being leveled against them from a growing PC gamer population. I have some pc only gamer friends that are still being bitter twats about the "retardification of the System Shock series thanks to gamers too stupid to put a PC together"

Yeah, they're jerks, but it's still hilarious seeing the fanboy pecking order. As a PC/Nintendo guy I think the gamer community in general needs to pull its head out of its selfish, elitist ass. It always has been and always will be about fun. 50 Marios in a row? If they're all fun, who gives a shit?

What most people are saying in this post is true, Nintendo do need to make a new IP and Sony is going for the gold. Sony in-house games are way more in number and Nintendo needs to catch up. I think Nintendo don't get it. Mario games are hard and long and they want more. The truth is I only beat one Mario game in my life and that was Super Mario NES. Although I love mario games I can't find myself to finish them and I have about all of them. Very long games like Grand Theft Auto I have never beaten because it is to long and I do not spend all my time playing games. If I did I wouldn't be on Vgchartz now would I. Back to the topic, Pikmin was a nice IP but that is not enough and if 3rd party devs don't make any games for it's new console they better have new games are I think they are in trouble.

The difference between Nintendo and every one else is that one of them release a couple of sequels to new new IP's and then they also have a line-up of brand new Ips waiting to be released. Nintendo have 20 year old Ip's and they just keep releasing sequels to their old Ips and even when they do decide to publish a new IP they basically abandon it and just let it sit there while fans clamour for it to be released in their region or just to have more then 50,000 copies printed.

COD, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, Rock Band, Halo and a whole list of 'core' titles are pretty much lambasted for having too many sequels, I don't know how you came to the conclusion that us forum mongers were clamouring for a new COD or a new Guitar Hero. When Driver, Medal of Honour and Bioshock Infinite were announced they were criticised, despite some of the franchises not seeing a release for many years.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

@Michael-5

I think you're putting too much emphasis on NoA... Whether they publish them or not, the games still exist and thanks to NoE we can play them in English by importing them. And it seems an overreaction to me to entirely define Nintendo's releases by just them, as if the rest of the world didn't exist. Let's not forget that many people in Europe got used to regularly importing before because of the same reasons. If they could do it for several gens, you can't do it for 2 or 3 games ?

Don't get me wrong, NoA's decisions also bother me, a lot, but not to the point of ignoring the current upcoming games and pretending that anything not localized doesn't exist. In fact, there's constantly a lot of Japanese games for all platforms that don't get localized... I for one have imported a few over the years and I'm clearly not the only one.

Also, SCEA is certainly not perfect either as far as localization goes, with them passing on Demon's Souls, releasing Siren as a download-only and slightly censored, and skipping several PSP games. And Microsoft never got much Japanese games to publish, so I don't think you can evaluate them by just 2 or 3 games.   

By the way, it should be noted that NoA has been publishing several Japanese games that weren't a given, like Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, Itadaki Street Wii (Fortune Street) and Super Fossil Fighters. They should at least get some recognition for these... After all, Nintendo might be the main reason we got the Dragon Quest ports on DS (which are also JRPGs !).

Nintendo lost me in the PS1/Sat/N64 era. I don't hate them but I changed the way I play games and what I like about games. Nintendo seem unable to create games that talk to my tastes. I really like games with stories I could relate to in a certain way where I can see myself being the main character. I like cinematic games with different camera angles and deep music. I like life like graphics even if it's set in a fantasy world (why I like Oblivion).

I need my car simulations, my best game this gen is Mass Effect 2, I like games like Uncharted and Demon Soul, where's my Burnout or Trials HD on Nintendo consoles?

Sony and Microsoft publish games that set the tone for third party devs. Like someone said, Microsoft published Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon so third parties aren't afraid to release RPGs on the console. If Nintendo released some more different games than their usual mascotts I'm sure third party devs wouldn't be affraid to do the same. You gotta realise that if Nintendo doesn't create different games than those kiddy games it's like they're affraid these games are not going to sell. So if the console manufacturer is affraid of publishing these different games, why would third parties do it?

This is how I view Nintendo consoles since the N64. The Gamecube had a lot of good games published by Nintendo but these devs left, Rare, Silicon Knight and Factor 5 to name a few.

I don't hate Nintendo I respect what they do, but I'm not afraid to say that imo Nintendo consoles are mainly for kids and the family. Just like Kinect right now... hehh why would third party devs develop big games for Kinect if MS doesn't do it first? Well guess what, they do and third parties will follow. This is what Nintendo should be doing imo.

Galaki said:
Don't we have a list of new ip's this gen somewhere so people can stop moving the goal post a bit?

I posted the boxarts so everyone will take notice. All of these, plus several games I intentionally left out are new IPs.

Jazz2K said:
Sony and Microsoft publish games that set the tone for third party devs. Like someone said, Microsoft published Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon so third parties aren't afraid to release RPGs on the console. If Nintendo released some more different games than their usual mascotts I'm sure third party devs wouldn't be affraid to do the same. You gotta realise that if Nintendo doesn't create different games than those kiddy games it's like they're affraid these games are not going to sell. So if the console manufacturer is affraid of publishing these different games, why would third parties do it?

While I will respectfully disagree with everything else you said, this one right here needs to be addressed. And here is why. Nintendo recently released a new hand held console called the 3DS and the launch titles from third parties included Super Street Fighter 4, Pro Evolution Soccer, and Samurai Warriors. Does Nintendo publish titles that are anything at all like these titles? So then by your logic, why would they exist on the console? Hmmmmmmm. Right now I have DOA: Dimensions in my 3DS, good thing Nintendo publishes titles like this because if they did not, this game would be nowhere near their console, right? You are incorrect.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Aquietguy said:

Browsing on different game sights, I notice that a lot of "core gamers" saying that all Nintendo does is make rehashes of the same games and create new ways to play them. Then they would pee in their pants over the next shooter in a series. Games like COD, grand theft auto, or gears of war. Sony is releasing a beta of uncharted Drake. That is 3 in one gen. At that rate there will be more Drake's than Zelda's in three gens. Also, isn't there another Bio Shock coming? Talk about being a hypocrite! These people are haters more than core gamers.

Nintendo has been using the same franchises for years. Sony and Microsoft create new series each generation. Yeah there is 3 uncharted games and 3 resistances but these are series created from scratch this generation. Sony has created over 10 new franchises this generation alone. How many has Nintendo. Also Gears of war is a new franchise this gen, People play COD for the multiplayer experiance and each Grand theft auto game is a game on its own. It may carry the same name with a number after it but each game is a totally new experiance to the last. Plus they are open world sandbox games with over a hundred hours of playtime which is why people want them so much.

Browsing various gaming sites across the internet I have noticed there is a lot of sensitivity coming from the Nintendo camp lately. What exactly is the cause of this. What has Sony and Microsoft done to set these people off????? Oh and if you take offence to my last comment in any way then your the right person to answer my  question!