By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Will Sony ever return to the top?*

Do you think Sony will ever win a Gen again?(Home or Handheld) If you say yes, why and when? I am sure that it will happen eventually but I don't think it will until Sony does something different. 

IMO, the main reason why Sony dominated with the PS and PS2 was the MASSIVE support from the 3rd party's. It was nearly impossible for Nintendo, Sega, or Microsoft to be #1. Here are how many games the following Systems had:

PS = 2,418____Saturn = 540____N64 = 387

PS2 = 2,015____XBox = 966____DreamCast = 688____GameCube = 640

PS3 = 188(Exclusive)____360 = 108(Exclusive)____Wii = 362(Exclusive) I couldn't find how many games PS3 has...so I made it exclusives.

PSP = 674____DS = 1,150

Vita = 42(Announced)____3DS = 135(Released or Announced)

It shows that Sony used to have a lot of 3rd Party support that no one else had. Now things are different...with the PS3 and 360 being so similar it has caused the Wii to get the most games and exclusives. Many claim that the Wii has no 3rd Party support...that is wrong. It had the most 3rd Party support with what many call "Shovelware". To the Casual everyday mom...Wii has a lot of good 3rd Party games. DS also had a lot more support than the PSP...though not as Massive as the difference between PS1 or PS2 and the other systems.

Looking into the future...3DS has over double the announced games as Vita. Though many are not to be released until later(maybe years) and Sony hasn't shown everything for Vita yet. I expect Sony and Microsoft to do something similar again next Gen against the Wii U. If they do then it could keep Nintendo at #1.

Lastly, the reason I make it sound like Sony needs 3rd Party's more than Nintendo is...well, because they do. Nintendo has big enough franchises to sell decent on their own while Sony has growing franchises but they are not as big as Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing or others. As long as Sony doesn't have big 3rd Party's exclusives...Nintendo should stay #1.

What do you think?

Around the Network

Possibly, but it's impossible to predict next generation

Great thread. Really there's no way to tell.Xbox brand is a threat to PlayStation brand, how long that will last is unknown.

PS Vita will bring them to top of Handheld market!!!!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Maybe, but the future has many surprises.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

Sony never left.

<a href="http://b0c40pmhv4t-qfuimlmmqex5q0.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=WT5K3KF3" target="_top">Click Here!</a>

maybe if they release a $249 PS4

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Based on their recent behaviour, no.

And the reason for their failings in this generation is not the lack of games (although the lack of games and the failure have a common cause). It's their arrogance. Sony took everything for granted, charged too much money and cheated their customers (which resulted in them getting hacked).

Unless there are some big changes in Sony's philosophy, they won't do well next generation.

PS VITA will take them to the top of handheld

and price will be the factor when PS4 comes along

unless your question is about the next handheld gen this thread is absolutely ridiculous..no one has a way to know

I can make a thread about will ninty ever see the top again too..but will not make any sense

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!