By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Will Sony ever return to the top?*

WiseOwl said:
Sony has lost money with the PS3. Sony has lost money with the PSP Go. Sony will lose money with the PSP Vita. Sony might no longer have the fight in them for the PS4.

Actually I heard they are going to sell the PSP Vita at a profit from the get go.

Around the Network

they only need one great gimmick to be back on top,

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I think the Vita will have a ton of software at the end of its life cycle and get ~60% market share this gen. It will be quite exciting playing some awesome games on the Vita (especially with cross-game chat :D Finally!)

I do question weather or not I am getting any next gen home consoles, The Wii U is kind of disappointing, supporting only 1 controller and having to switch between screens a bunch, seems annoying to say the least. Microsoft may go off the deep end with Kinect type stuff, which will be sad. Sony I am not sure what they plan to try next gen, they said only a bit more powerful hardware, if the controller is the same then why not just stick with a PS3?

I think graphics are hitting a very solid wall next gen, and justifying new consoles will get really really difficult since new controls can be added on wireless now. After that its all about exclusive games, services, and how quick you can start a game. Side Note: it takes ~3 minutes minimum (which is a lot if you only have 10 minutes to play here and there) to get to actually playing the game if the console is off, consoles need sleep mode like PSP/DS to get back in the game instantly.

Miyamoto: Quantity is not important, Quality is.... 'Pokemon, Tetris' for the gameboy... Zelda/mario/Golden Eye for N64, Melee for the GC... To name a few...

Nobody's seeing it yet? Nintendo and Sony are taking turns being on top every 2 generations...

- NES
- SNES
- PS1
- PS2
- Wii
..then to follow...
- Wii U
- PS5
- PS6 ...etc....

^_____^

Around the Network

I think its possible, they need to get to a good start next generation for consoles, which can win over America, then they'll already have Europe for sure, and Japan (providing the WiiU doesn't become a huge software hit over there), then they can further develop the developing markets and by the 9th generation, turn them into loyal Playstation owners like Europe

PSV has a slight chance, but I say slight, as they'd have to have Monster Hunter, GTPSV and COD all released for the system in the first 15 months for that to happen, and for the 3DS to continue is current sales

kowenicki said:
Possibly

But a single console dominating is no longer probable. Ps2 will be the last console to do that.

What do you think about Handhelds? DS dominated PSP...

Also, many people seem to think that Vita has a good chance at outselling 3DS...why? 3DS has loads of potential and will sell a lot.

V-r0cK said:
Nobody's seeing it yet? Nintendo and Sony are taking turns being on top every 2 generations...

- NES
- SNES
- PS1
- PS2
- Wii
..then to follow...
- Wii U
- PS5
- PS6 ...etc....

^_____^

The problem with that is that it has always been a two party race in the console wars, by which I mean only two companies at a time have had realistic chances at being 'The Big Guy'... back in the day it was Nintendo and Sega and then it was Sony and Nintendo. However now there are three big companies, baring any stupendous mistakes in the next generation, who all have a very good chance of being 'The Big Guy' and continuing on.

TeddostheFireKing said:
I think its possible, they need to get to a good start next generation for consoles, which can win over America, then they'll already have Europe for sure, and Japan (providing the WiiU doesn't become a huge software hit over there), then they can further develop the developing markets and by the 9th generation, turn them into loyal Playstation owners like Europe

PSV has a slight chance, but I say slight, as they'd have to have Monster Hunter, GTPSV and COD all released for the system in the first 15 months for that to happen, and for the 3DS to continue is current sales

Regarding your first point, I believe this generation should demonstrate that things can change drastically from generation to generation and so saying that they "already have europe for sure, and japan" is very short sighted, afterall the biggest in all regions this generation was Nintendo and Nintendo are looking to get asmuch as a two year head start on the competition. Infact the only thing that will stop the Wii U from getting a rediculous lead by the time Sony or Microsoft enter the next generation is the unendingly foolish consumer whom would, and will, get confuzzled about whether or not it was a new system, I can already see the stories from store clerks about customers getting into a kerfuffle about how they don't have "that swanky new controller for my Wii".

However I do agree that Sonys real strength in getting those extra numbers, and even prolonging the life of their consoles, is in selling to developing/obscure markets, after all those several thousand extra units a week quickly become that extra couple hundred thousand units a year and then by the end of the generation have become that extra 10 million or so units.

*Sound Of Rain said:
kowenicki said:
Possibly

But a single console dominating is no longer probable. Ps2 will be the last console to do that.

What do you think about Handhelds? DS dominated PSP...

Also, many people seem to think that Vita has a good chance at outselling 3DS...why? 3DS has loads of potential and will sell a lot.

There is one big factor that so far we have no information on, atleast as far as my knowledge goes, concerning the PSV and it will make the difference between selling 10 - 15 million units life time or 100 million units lifetime, that is subscription charge i.e. we know that you will have to sign upto a contract with AT&T (in the USA no news about else at the moment) so how much is it going to cost to do that? If a monthly fee is exclusive to simply the 3G version then they have a chance at hitting 70 - 80% or their pontential market with the PSV as many wont care about the exclusive features in the software for the 3G version but that other 20 - 30%, the core customer, will be mighty miffed and may well boycott the device.

Potable_Toe said:

There is one big factor that so far we have no information on, atleast as far as my knowledge goes, concerning the PSV and it will make the difference between selling 10 - 15 million units life time or 100 million units lifetime, that is subscription charge i.e. we know that you will have to sign upto a contract with AT&T (in the USA no news about else at the moment) so how much is it going to cost to do that? If a monthly fee is exclusive to simply the 3G version then they have a chance at hitting 70 - 80% or their pontential market with the PSV as many wont care about the exclusive features in the software for the 3G version but that other 20 - 30%, the core customer, will be mighty miffed and may well boycott the device.

Obviously there's no monthly charge for the Wi-fi version. Why would there be?

OT: It's a bit pointless to speculate, similar to "Can the Xbox ever be the dominating console?" or "Can Nintendo continue their domination of the console and portable markets?"

It's not really possible to tell and I haven't seen any good arguments to the contrary in this thread.

I don't think there's a very realistic possibility of Vita outselling the 3DS.

The next generation of home consoles...I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes, Sony will eventually return to the top. The PS3, at launch, was an absolute disaster, and it didn't really become a viable console until a good two years later. If the PS4 launches at $299, with a solid launch lineup, it's easy to develop for, and it has an excellent, fully functional and free online service, I don't really see it being outsold by the Wii U.

We know far too little about Microsoft's plans at the moment for me to judge that, but if they try to push an excessive focus on Kinect, I see that falling flat. On the other hand, if they focus on small-scale implementation like in ME3 and Ghost Recon, people might question whether the device is still relevant.

If they can REALLY beef up the technology, and get it to work with large numbers of players who are sitting down, and implement some sort of button system (there is only so much you can do with motion control, as we have seen from Star Wars Kinect and Fable: The Journey), that could potentially be very successful.

I've gone off on a bit of a tangent here, but long story short, yes, I do think Sony will regain the sales crown, and it could potentially be next gen.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective