By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The demise of local gaming stores?

nope saw a gamest5op close... and to be honnest if I want good deals on second hands I go on eBay... otherwise I prtefer gamestop than some random local game store in general... but then again it's because I never saw a good welcoming one.... around where I lived

Around the Network

Here in Austin TX we have a great local store that has grown significantly over the past few years call Game Over(I think they are like the second or third hit on google). It was just one store and now there are three here in Austin and it's expanding. I belive they have one in San Antonio now. I think the key difference is that stores are really active in having tourney's and offering specials through e-mail and selling product online. These are some of the things I feel the other small stores that have closed down haven't leveraged nearly as much if at all. I miss mom and pop game shops as much as I miss arcades.

nitekrawler1285 said:

Here in Austin TX we have a great local store that has grown significantly over the past few years call Game Over(I think they are like the second or third hit on google). It was just one store and now there are three here in Austin and it's expanding. I belive they have one in San Antonio now. I think the key difference is that stores are really active in having tourney's and offering specials through e-mail and selling product online. These are some of the things I feel the other small stores that have closed down haven't leveraged nearly as much if at all. I miss mom and pop game shops as much as I miss arcades.

thats cool, it looks like game over has a great business model and they can offer sepcials. the tourneys are a good bonus, but for small businesses it is hard to offer a similar or equal product for a higher price and have other qualities that it seems people would pay more for. it looks like game over is doing a great job though, and good for them. i also miss arcades, but there are just not enough people supporting them. the last place i see arcades are in malls, once in awhile, or on boardwalks during the summer, which only works seasonally. i think local game stores can work if they really embrace the community and if you have a charismatic owner who really cares, but other than that, its tough for any business to compete with chains.

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

I own a gameshop, and honestly, I have been kicking the nearest gamestop's ass for the past 2 years. It all depends on how you run your business.

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

There is a way to stop it, yes.

Buy from Amazon.com! Not only do they give day-of-release delivery, they also gave everyone a 20 dollar giftcard for a future 3ds game purchase. =D

Around the Network

As long as retro gaming is active, little game stores will be there. A corporation has no means of beating precise insight in your business!

I don't know any local gaming stores, but already have 2 gamestops here(getting a third) in Stamford, CT along with and FYE and Target..so alot of activity/competition here

S____M____C____C said:
The sooner the world goes totally online for music, game and film the better.
Use the space from these retail stores productively.

Not happening.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Damn, ah well I guess gamestop will sell their games for $80 each now lol

KohlyKohl said:

So I went to buy a 3ds and zelda at my favorite local game store. When I pulled up I noticed that it was replaced by a different store. Dejected, I went accross the street to Gamestop. It was a very hard thing for me to do because I don't care for how Gamestop treats gamers when it comes to selling back games.

Anyways, I have noticed this trend in the two cities that I live in. Many of the popular local game stores are going out of business. I don't like this trend because it is opening up the way for big box chains to corner the market. I was wondering if others have noticed this trend as well? Is there something that we can do to stop this from happening?

I'm a bit confused, how did you not know your favourite game store was going out of business O.o?