By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The demise of local gaming stores?

richardhutnik said:
BenVTrigger said:
The bashing of Gamestop is beyond hilarious. I can't even believe half the stuff you people post. I mean you really have to no NOTHING about business to have a problem with the way we operate.

But on topic we aren't going anywhere at least for a while. At Gamestop the past 2 years have been some of the strongest in our history.

Hmm....

I can validate what the Zero Originality series of videos said about Gamestop is true (well a decent degree of it, at least).

My experience involved seasonal employment, getting hired by a manager who got canned for doctoring hours.  And the rest goes on.  I ended up working Hickory Farms offering meat samples, instead of Gamestop, for a number of reasons, besides the pay being more.... and I like and know videogames.

All this being said, Gamestop is what it is, a McDonald's of the videogame business, being able to be run by fanboys with very little skill, who only have to know how to organize shelves.

I guess maybe writing this should be thought twice in regards to maybe it will cost me a chance to work at a Gamestop.  But, oh well... I need to be doing other things with my life anyhow.  Just felt that someone cheerleadering Gamestop is close to silly.  YMMV as far as your experience with Gamestop does depend on who works there though.

Your post is fail.

I'm a district manager and you try to say things like you can't work at Gamestop because you "aren't a fanboy with very little skill, who only have to know how to organzie shelves."  And that you "like and know videogames." 

I make great money at Gamestop and look at my Gamerscore and Trophies.  Does it look like I know games?  Yes.  Your post indeed does make it clear how you were only seasonal employment who never went anywhere in the company however.

I don't "Cheerleader" for Gamestop, I manage for them and its a fantastic company to work for given you realize what your doing which is "Consumer Sales in a retail location", not sitting around getting paid to just talk about video games.

Around the Network

$60 dollar new game price is good, but the problem with DD is that publishers wont charge less when you minus the retailer and the manu costs of around 20-30 dollars. And with asshole publishers like activison they will make it high and the other publishers will follow suit.

And with DD, no sales, no price drops over time, if the seller is an asshole like activison.

hopefully i am wrong and that globally we are paying only 40 dollars for brand new games. That would be dream.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Well in the city I live their used to be two independant local game stores. Both rented and sold games. However a couple years ago one of them said they were moving to a new location because their lease ran out. I talked to the owner the last day the store was open and he re-assured me that the store would re-open in a new location soon. Well he lied and the store never re-oppened. At that time we had two local game stores and two EBGames plus FutureShop , RogersVideo and BlockBuster. I can see how the one local shop got ran into the ground.

Today the other local shop is doing great. Infact its part of a small chain of like 5 outlets here in BC. Their prices are low and the staff are great. They don't give the best trade in deals but they sell used software at like half the cost of EB. But selection wise they never have a game day one. Also if the game isn't selling well globally they stop carrying it after like two weeks. Example Duke Nukem sales plummeted so they only got two small shipments in, they have it for rent but no longer sell it. They don't sell PS3's due to lack of sales , they only have one 360 at the store and Wii and DS, heck they only have one 3DS in at a time now too.

So while local has its advantages (Price, used games and great staff) they do not carry enough games , if I want a new game day one I have to go to a big box chain and that sucks.

However I don't see the small independant store going anywhere. They have evolved they used to only rent games, then they started selling, and now most recently they installed huge HDTV's in the basement and system linked systems. For 100$ an hour you can have a birthday party in the basement, playing any game they have on the shelf and system link up to four consoles. Its a blast and apparently alot of people are having parties and its fairly profitable.

So I know the small guy will find a way.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

BenVTrigger said:
richardhutnik said:
BenVTrigger said:
The bashing of Gamestop is beyond hilarious. I can't even believe half the stuff you people post. I mean you really have to no NOTHING about business to have a problem with the way we operate.

But on topic we aren't going anywhere at least for a while. At Gamestop the past 2 years have been some of the strongest in our history.

Hmm....

I can validate what the Zero Originality series of videos said about Gamestop is true (well a decent degree of it, at least).

My experience involved seasonal employment, getting hired by a manager who got canned for doctoring hours.  And the rest goes on.  I ended up working Hickory Farms offering meat samples, instead of Gamestop, for a number of reasons, besides the pay being more.... and I like and know videogames.

All this being said, Gamestop is what it is, a McDonald's of the videogame business, being able to be run by fanboys with very little skill, who only have to know how to organize shelves.

I guess maybe writing this should be thought twice in regards to maybe it will cost me a chance to work at a Gamestop.  But, oh well... I need to be doing other things with my life anyhow.  Just felt that someone cheerleadering Gamestop is close to silly.  YMMV as far as your experience with Gamestop does depend on who works there though.

Your post is fail.

I'm a district manager and you try to say things like you can't work at Gamestop because you "aren't a fanboy with very little skill, who only have to know how to organzie shelves."  And that you "like and know videogames." 

I make great money at Gamestop and look at my Gamerscore and Trophies.  Does it look like I know games?  Yes.  Your post indeed does make it clear how you were only seasonal employment who never went anywhere in the company however.

I don't "Cheerleader" for Gamestop, I manage for them and its a fantastic company to work for given you realize what your doing which is "Consumer Sales in a retail location", not sitting around getting paid to just talk about video games.

I have to say EBGames here in Canada has improved alot since GameStop took over. They even offered me a job but it was illogical for me to do. The manager came up to me as I was picking up a pre-order and chatted with me a bit before offering me a job. He was like okay its October and were getting ready for Christmas I need some staff and I think you'd make a great employee. Only thing is you will have to work 12 hour days 7 days a week until january then you will likely be laid off. However each year we hold onto two of our best seasonal employees and they get full time jobs. He then said I'd make alot of over time and good money.

But I turned him down the stress of working twelve our days seven days a week till January was alittle much for me to even consider. i mean yah I needed a job but that was over kill, you at least need a day off or two each week.

But a few years ago I remember going to EBGames right after E3 and asking if I could pre-order a Wii. The employee was like "Whats a Wii" I said Nintendo's newest system, she then pulled another employee over and was like this guy wants to pre-order a Wii. The other guy was like "What". I then explained it was announced at E3 and both employees looked stunned. The guy was like "No you want a GameCube" I was like no Wii was announced at E3. The guy then asked "Whats E3". That was really bad when the two employees working the shelf don't know what E3 is or keep up to date with the new products the companies offer.

However this E3 I went to EBGames and the two employees were up to date. Infact I went during E3 and one employee was reading the latest news on their smart phone. They said they couldn't watch E3 at work but every spare moment they had they were reading the latest news. This time the employees knew which products I was talking about. It was a major improvement in just a few years.

But I do find that most of the big box retailers hire neglegent staff. Future Shop had an employee trying to sell a PS2 as the most powerful system on the market last gen, I stepped in and helped the lady buy an X-Box and her kid wanted a good shooter and the employee was trying to sell her Killzone. I also intervened in Walmart last year when an employee was trying to sell the lady a game for the wrong console. She was like "My kid has this box thing and he wants this new shooter" the lady was vague and the employee right aways tried selling her KillZone2, however I then asked the lady what kinds of games her kid played on the Box and she said Halo. I then asked her if the shooter was Halo:Reach and she said her kid wanted the latest shooter from Halo. I then brought her to the X-Box section and told her to buy Reach. The manager saw this and offered me a job, unfortunetly I had a job at the time and by the time I lost it, the manager had forgotten me.

But fact is the local retailers tend to hire staff more knowledgable. Though I must say EBGames this year is way better staffed then in the past. Also you are a GameStop manager? What about your staff? Of course the manager has to know about games but its the staff that often seem to be clueless.

Also about the staff being paid to talk about games. Yah actually that is a very big part of the job if a parent walks in wanting a game for her kid and only knows her kid likes Mario, that staff member then needs to be able to talk about Mario with the parent and find the game most suitable for that parent. Or if a customer doesn't know which console to pick up, its the staff members job to discuss the console and the software to ensure that the customer gets the right product. Lastly when the store is dead and some people walk in just wanting to browse its the staff members job to engage them and talk about games, then possibly try and sell one to the customer.

You have no clue how many times I walk into a gamestore with no intent to buy something. But a staff member talks with me abit and we talk about the latest games and devices. After like 10 minutes they suggest I pre-order or buy a game. I know the staff member from past talks and trust their judgement so I buy the game.

So yes sitting around and chatting about games leads to sales and as you said "Consumer Sales in a retail location". Customer service is key to a good buisness. If EBGames/GameStop has shitty customer service employees who don't know what they are talking about or not talking at all. That is not good customer service!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer