By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The demise of local gaming stores?

S____M____C____C said:

I don't think they will. Once housing picks up for example, many retail stores could be developed into housing. And I don't think there would be much job loss, since more online jobs would be created my such a move.

So, we will get a number of housing units coming complete with their own Slurpee machines?

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
KohlyKohl said:

So I went to buy a 3ds and zelda at my favorite local game store. When I pulled up I noticed that it was replaced by a different store. Dejected, I went accross the street to Gamestop. It was a very hard thing for me to do because I don't care for how Gamestop treats gamers when it comes to selling back games.

Anyways, I have noticed this trend in the two cities that I live in. Many of the popular local game stores are going out of business. I don't like this trend because it is opening up the way for big box chains to corner the market. I was wondering if others have noticed this trend as well? Is there something that we can do to stop this from happening?

I'm a bit confused, how did you not know your favourite game store was going out of business O.o?

I don't go to that part of town very often plus living in two different cities meens that I don't get around town as much as I would like to.

I myself have noticed this but not just gaming stores but a lot of local stores around here seem to be going away and the chain stores are coming in.

Well retro game stores are on the rise ^^' Loves retro game stores!!

The bashing of Gamestop is beyond hilarious. I can't even believe half the stuff you people post. I mean you really have to no NOTHING about business to have a problem with the way we operate.

But on topic we aren't going anywhere at least for a while. At Gamestop the past 2 years have been some of the strongest in our history.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
The bashing of Gamestop is beyond hilarious. I can't even believe half the stuff you people post. I mean you really have to no NOTHING about business to have a problem with the way we operate.

But on topic we aren't going anywhere at least for a while. At Gamestop the past 2 years have been some of the strongest in our history.

There is no doubt that gamestop is making a lot of money. As a consumer I couldn't care less. What I care about is getting my money's worth Most of the local stores than I have been to have offered me two to three times as much for games that I am looking to sell. On top of that, local stores generally have cheaper prices on their games. At local stores I feel like a person not a number. The second I walk into Gamestop I feel like a machine that should show no emotions.

KohlyKohl said:
BenVTrigger said:

There is no doubt that gamestop is making a lot of money. As a consumer I couldn't care less. What I care about is getting my money's worth Most of the local stores than I have been to have offered me two to three times as much for games that I am looking to sell. On top of that, local stores generally have cheaper prices on their games. At local stores I feel like a person not a number. The second I walk into Gamestop I feel like a machine that should show no emotions.

And by doing all that, your local store went out of business. By making you feel like a person they went bankrupt.

KohlyKohl said:
BenVTrigger said:

Well at the end of the day any business is about makeing a profit.  There's a reason those local stores go out of business. 

I try my hardest to make sure all customers that come into my stores are treated fairly and like a person and not a number.  I guarantee you if you came into one of my stores you'd have a different experience.  That being said at the end of the day my emplyees know we have to make profits.  Its what pays our bills and allows us to make a liveing.

Consider this let's say a store is giving $15 trade in on God of War 3 and then selling it for $30.  Let's say we get 50 traded in and go on to sell 25 at that $30 price point.  Then the price drop s down to $20 pre-owned.  That means those other ones we still have left to sell takes a huge hit in profits and if it dtops to $15 we aren't making any profit.

In other words prices might not seem "fair" but then again the trade in system isn't there for the customer to make good profits.  Its there to allow them to take some of the cost off the heavy investment in a new game if you have games just sitting there to collect dust.  I'll be the first to tell you if your tring to recoup maximum money back then sell it online or something but then you have to wait for a buyer then ship it and wait for money to come back to you.  At Gamestop you can walk in, get a set price right there on the spot, and apply it instantly to a differant purtchase. 

Its just good business practice.

BenVTrigger said:

Hmm....

I can validate what the Zero Originality series of videos said about Gamestop is true (well a decent degree of it, at least).

My experience involved seasonal employment, getting hired by a manager who got canned for doctoring hours.  And the rest goes on.  I ended up working Hickory Farms offering meat samples, instead of Gamestop, for a number of reasons, besides the pay being more.... and I like and know videogames.

All this being said, Gamestop is what it is, a McDonald's of the videogame business, being able to be run by fanboys with very little skill, who only have to know how to organize shelves.

I guess maybe writing this should be thought twice in regards to maybe it will cost me a chance to work at a Gamestop.  But, oh well... I need to be doing other things with my life anyhow.  Just felt that someone cheerleadering Gamestop is close to silly.  YMMV as far as your experience with Gamestop does depend on who works there though.

Swfz said:
There is a way to stop it, yes.

Buy from Amazon.com! Not only do they give day-of-release delivery, they also gave everyone a 20 dollar giftcard for a future 3ds game purchase. =D

Sometimes it comes early too! :D

I don't have a local game store so I buy from Gamestop or Amazon. I prefer Amazon because then I don't have to go to Gamestop. Although there is 1 Gamestop nearby (I have 3 about the same distance away from me in all different directions) that is miles better than the others. Its a bigger store and has much better staff and community.